Would you buy an AEB-L Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in an AEB-L Military?

Yes
53%
No
29%
Maybe (explain)
18%

Total votes: 96

Evil D

Would you buy an AEB-L Military?

Post by Evil D »

The 52100 Military came as a bit of a surprise and seemed to be a hit with most people. I think many of us loved that steel, but for me it seems I need something a little more corrosion resistant for EDC. Given that the two steels are often regarded as having similar qualities apart from corrosion resistant, it seems like a steel that I would really enjoy.

Discuss.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Re: Would you buy an AEB-L Military?

Post by MacLaren »

David, I voted maybe. Reason being its a Millie and all Millies are good imo.
Reason I may not buy it is because of my CTS-204P Military. I reckon shes pretty good in the corrosion resistance dept.
Better than 52100 anyways. And every bit as a good slicer/cutter than 52100 imo. I know when I sent them both (52100&204p) to Jason Bosman to be sharpened, he was really impressed with the 204P Millie. Extremely sharp and very easy to get there with it. Said it was very nice. Add the good corrosion resistance to that and CTS-204P is a mighty fine steel I believe.
Not to make this all about 204p, that's just why I voted maybe :)
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Its another Sprint of the Military, and I want to try out AEB-L too. So it seems like a no-brainer for me. I'd certainly prefer the stainlessness of AEB-L compared to carbon steels like 52100.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yes, but I'd really like to see LC200N first in a Military.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I might buy one but first I want to get a Police 4. I prefer any Military over any Paramilitary. The PM is a fine knife, and better than anything coming out of Oregon, but I have had two, still have one, and just really do not like it that much. My hand feels a bit uncomfortable, which is a shame, as I want to like the knife. The Military is a wonderful knife and it fits my hand like it was made for it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:The 52100 Military came as a bit of a surprise and seemed to be a hit with most people. I think many of us loved that steel, but for me it seems I need something a little more corrosion resistant for EDC. Given that the two steels are often regarded as having similar qualities apart from corrosion resistant, it seems like a steel that I would really enjoy.

Discuss.
//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=70973

Enough said.

Marius
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I probably would not, just because I wouldn't see the need to have that over my 204P user. But the more choices the merrier!

I just got my first AEB-L knife in December (hollow ground custom with thin edge), so it's a little early for me to comment on the steel, but I like it so far. Seems to be holding a nice edge and definitely got screaming sharp.

LC200N might get my attention more in terms of something different and bombproof on the corrosion front. Not that I'm a saltwater person and NEED that. ;)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

In a heartbeat!!! :D

I have several fixed and folding knives in that steel from another maker (Jarosz) and I love the stuff! One of my most favorite steels that takes a ridiculous edge and holds it for quite a while under hard use. An excellent choice for a Military or Spyderco fixed blade sprint, and I'm honestly a bit surprised we haven't seen any offering in it based on how knifemakers rave about it online.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As I've declared on several occasions my current two favorite, dynamic duo of C-36 Military models are my XHP and my hallowed M390 Sprint Runs :cool: . I'm still kind of in pursuit of one of those 204P Sprint Runs because the two people I know that have them and carry them really love them.

Any C-36 Military I buy in the future will more than likely end up in my "user arsenal" :cool: About the only C-36 Military model I didn't like was the S30V of all things :rolleyes:

Well "Evil D" all I can say at this point is that in the past we've seemed to have a lot of similar "likes & dislikes" ( especially with blade steels) so I'll just take your word for it and vote in the YES slot even though I've yet to test drive this particular blade steel.

But one other important thing to keep in mind is that at some point we just have to have a new Sprint Run Spyderedged MILLIE>>and that would be up to the Great Spyder Factory which blade steel they would end up using in an SE Sprint run of the C-36 :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

Anybody got a chemistry handy?

sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Maybe; the Millie is a bit too big for my taste, so it's really a "would you buy any Military?"
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Nate

Post by Nate »

sal wrote:Anybody got a chemistry handy?

sal

I voted maybe only because I'm a lefty and would rather see AEB-L/13C26 in an ambi model, but I do like AEB-L in the custom I have and would like to see what Spyderco can do with it.
:spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Chemistry, Sal? :)

https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/zdata- ... S-AEBL.htm
Ha, beat me by *thismuch*
:spyder:
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I had to vote yes. I've bought at least one of each Military steel so far, I'd have to buy this one to keep the collection complete. I have a Ken Coats custom jackknife in 13C26 that I really like, so I just might carry it as well.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Stuart, Nate, appreciate.

Alpha is a really good company, good people.

AEB-L doesn't have much carbon. We've not used it before. Anybody maybe we can get Cliff over here? I need some Edge-u-cation.

sal
Stuart Ackerman

Sal, I have sent Cliff a PM in his forum... :)
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Cliff talks about AEB-L, relative to S30V in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZxl7SSwa3A
He brings it up about the 9:30 mark as a contrast in carbide cluster sizes in relation to edge retention. No mention of how to works, is heat treated, etc.

I first heard about this steel in Kitchen Knife Forums, where it is a very popular choice for some makers looking for a stainless, laser-y grind.
Stuart Ackerman

Thanks for the video Hoimin...

My son is visiting St Johns for three months at the moment...just down the road from Cliff...
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

From Devin Thomas: http://www.devinthomas.com/faq.html
Composition:
C Si Mn max P max S Cr
0.68 0.4 0.65 0.025 0.015 12.8

Few know what AEB-L steel is, and those that do, only have heard that it is similar to 440B or 440A. The only similarities between AEB-L and 440B or 440A is the amount of carbon. The fact that AEB-L has only 12.8% chromium by weight compared to the 16-17% in 440A and 440B makes the steels quite different. AEB-L is more similar to a stainless 52100 than 440A. A copy of AEB-L called 13C26 is made by Sandvik.

AEB-L naturally forms what is called the K2 carbide, the harder of the two chromium carbides, compared to the K1 carbide, which is formed in steels such as 440C. The K2 carbide is about 79 on the Rockwell C scale, compared to 72 for the K1 carbide. Through proper heat treatment, AEB-L has fine, evenly distributed K2 carbides. AEB-L lies almost perfectly on what is called the "Carbon Saturation Line", which means that all of the carbides formed are precipitated carbides, not primary carbides like are formed in 440C, and there is more carbon and a similar amount chromium in solution as compared to 440C. Primary carbides are very large. So, through a balanced composition, AEB-L has excellent toughness, edge retention, workability, ease of sharpening, and ease of polishing.