Talk me into a Yojimbo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
harronek

Talk me into a Yojimbo

Post by harronek »

I feel the need to purchase something different from my usual and ever faithful Delicas .
After much contemplation and research the Yojimbo seems to be leading the race , but my question to all the knowledgeable members here is .
In my circumstance it would not be purchased for its intended role of Self Defense but would be utilized as a daily EDC work knife .
How does the the knife / size /ergonomics / blade grind /shape perform in these roles ?

Ken
Jazz

Re: Talk me into a Yojimbo

Post by Jazz »

I got to handle one, and was surprised at it's heft. Also, it has a thick blade. Probably great for it's SD role, but unless you have big *** hands, maybe not the best for EDC stuff. Just my opinion, but I really thought it would be lighter.
- best wishes, Jazz.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I actually prefer mine as an EDC to the PM2 (Hush that booing, class or you'll all be in detention! :) )

Why?
-Folks make a big thing about it's 'SD focus'- but that wharncliffe blade really works for all kinds of utility and 'donkey' work...in fact, I'm one of those weirdoes that loves the straight-edge of the wharnie as an EDC....Piece of cake to sharpen too as it's straight the whole way.

-The blade is thick and hefty, so you can get a nice chopping action going for long work sessions.

-Despite being quite big, it's got that 'box-cutter/Stanley blade' look which doesn't immediately scream "Tactical nutter". Handy around the 'gunshy'

- It's hollow ground which makes for a very fine tip, which could be good or bad depending on your usage needs- I've not broken mine but then again I don't dig up pebbles at the beach with it either ;)

- This one is definitely "Your mileage may vary" but I find the shape of the grip, with it's taper to a point at the butt-end, generally more pleasing in the hand than the PM2's more 'typical' shape.

- Apart from that it's got all the 'popular' bits of the PM2 range- the comp lock, the 4 way clip, the full nested liners, the G10....there are even some custom scales out there for it (I've got the Cuscadi ones in Aero CF and they are to die for)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Do you like bad@ss knives?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Taypo

Post by Taypo »

I had exactly the same problem last week, minus the collection of Delicas. I wanted to go with the Yo2 but the popularity/aftermarket/lanyard hole of the PM2 ended up winning out.

Now, if I already had a "typical" Spyderco to fall back on if the Yo wasnt my thing? Wouldnt have thought twice about buying it. It's next on my list
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I love the Yojimbo 2. It is possibly my absolute favorite Spyderco.

The handle ergonomics are brilliant, and I love the straight cutting edge.

Size comparison to Delica 4:

For EDC roles the knife performs well. It cuts like a box cutter on steroids. The only downside I find is the relatively delicate tip. Fear of damaging the tip keeps me from using the knife as "hard" as other knives.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
timlara

Post by timlara »

My approach to self defense is to run away as fast as possible, but I love my Yo2 as a weekend carry utility knife. Except for maybe the Dodo, it's the best box cutter ever, just a little too scary for the daily carry in the office, at least in my office...

If Spyderco ever gets around to making a Blurple one in 110v, it would be an insta-buy for me, though. Always been a fan of the design and Mr. Janich.
Tim
Jwc77

Post by Jwc77 »

The Yo2 is my absolute favorite pocket knife. Surprisingly very practical as an EDC. I love the looks and feel of it too...such a nice feeling knife with the heft of the blade it flicks out like no other.
laker_cj

Post by laker_cj »

I carry mine at work; and if I use it it's cutting open boxes, envelopes, and the like. The wharncliff blade is nice and accomplishes these tasks with ease - even opened a few of the kiddos Christmas boxes/toys - made quick work of the zip-ties and the like (off topic - but for the love of Pete they really lock those "indestructible" thick plastic toys in cardboard good), I'm with demoncase, I prefer the Yojimbo over the PM2 for these tasks as personal preference.
My Owned :spyder: - Tasman Salt; Endura; Delica; Embassy; Tenacious; Kitchen Santoku; Yojimbo2; Pattada; SpyderPac; Para 3; Paramilitary 2; Ouroboros; Dragonfly; Squarehead; Ambitious; Ladybug; Kitchen Utility; Cricket; Rescue; Pingo; Native 5; Gayle Bradley Folder; Rubicon; Dice; Remote Release II; Manix; Moran Drop Point; Polestar; Ikuchi; Sliverax; Bow River; Szabo Folder
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

it's a badass utility knife that also happens to be really effective at hurting bad people if necessary. Not much else to say really. I'd like it better with a FFG grind but it slices pretty decent at the tip.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
napalmfriday

Post by napalmfriday »

Another huge Yo2 fan right here! It's definitely one of my favorites. I could repeat what our friends above have already mentioned as to what makes it so great, but that would be a bit redundant. :)
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Get one you will not be disappointed!
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

It's a fantastic knife, one of Spyderco's finest and in my top 10 favorites. Design, build and fit & finish are excellent. It can cut and slice anything. However, IMHO it's not the best "EDC" knife due to the lack of belly, hollow grind, and delicate tip. The term EDC is quite broad. To some it just means "pocketable"; to others it might mean the ability to cut rope, tarp, boxes, strip wire, etc.; and to some it means SD capabilities as well. To me, EDC means all that (well I don't really have SD needs) but most importantly food prep in the office lunchroom, on the trail, in the boat, or at a campsite. It means slicing and peeling fruit, slicing cheese and sausages, slicing bread, cutting a sub sandwich in half, spreading PB&J on bread, maybe even gutting and cleaning an occasional trout, etc. So for me something like the PM2 would be more in line with a well rounded, do-it-all EDC knife.

On the other hand, if you want to experience an outstanding Wharncliff style knife blade, compression lock, and beautiful handle design, then the Yojimbo would be an excellent choice.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

harronek wrote:I feel the need to purchase something different from my usual and ever faithful Delicas .
After much contemplation and research the Yojimbo seems to be leading the race , but my question to all the knowledgeable members here is .
In my circumstance it would not be purchased for its intended role of Self Defense but would be utilized as a daily EDC work knife .
How does the the knife / size /ergonomics / blade grind /shape perform in these roles ?

Ken
I bought mine primarily for self defense... How ever, i couldn't help trying it out on some card board and a few rolls of paper towels. This is an amazing utility knife. It's the ergo's and the blade shape. The wharnclife shape almost does the cutting for you, and the thumb forward grip gives you serious power and leverage. A lot of knives claim to be a natural extension of the hand, this knife delivers. I highly recomend the Yo2, Janich and Spyderco did this one right.
Yo2.jpg
Thumbs Up! :spyder:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Action shot
yo2perriepoke.jpg
yo2edge.jpg
Looking straight at edge.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My Yo2 with some micarta scales
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Yo2 is dog approved!
Spydergirl88
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Get a Yojimbo
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Spydergirl88 wrote:The Yo2 is dog approved!
lulz, great pic.

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ken,

The Yo2 is a very special design with much time and evolution behind it, as well as many hours of thought. Mike did a great job on the design. It's the kind of design that knife afi's appreciate more and more as they use it. I have a CF version that I carry quite a bit. Good EDC.

I'm pushing for a trainer for those interested.

sal