paramilitary 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
farnorthdan

Re: paramilitary 3

Post by farnorthdan »

SpeedHoles wrote:Great pics, Dan! Looks really promising.

How does the balance feel compared to Sage 5?

How about the action? (I know your Para3 is fresh and new, so maybe hard to tell right away...)

Also, anyone know, does the Sage 5 have a stepped pivot?
(Assuming this new Para3 does, like the PM2 and CQI Millie)

J32A2 wrote:Alright, where are the sprints?
Been out for a week now.
Haha, I hear ya. I mean, it came out last year and we haven't seen a Sprint yet, c'mon!?! :p :D
I'm not usually a super fiend for all the Sprints, but I think I'll be waiting on this Para 3 to debut in a high speed tool steel or something before I pick one up.
Hey Speed, action is good, a little tighter than some PM2's received in the past, almost free dropping and imagine it will be with very little use. As far as balance, a little heavier handle side compared to the Sage 5 for obvious reasons but barely noticeable.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Sirens1 wrote:I just received mine from GPK. Wow! Completely exceeded my expectations. QC at its best, this baby is flawless! I will definately be placing a CL clip on her though.
What kind of clip, please?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

flash900 wrote:
Sirens1 wrote:I just received mine from GPK. Wow! Completely exceeded my expectations. QC at its best, this baby is flawless! I will definately be placing a CL clip on her though.
Casey Lynch
attila

Post by attila »

Casey Lynch clips are not available currently. When they do become available, it will be at BladeHQ, but even they don't have any idea for expected availability because they are done in small sporadic batches.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
flash900

Post by flash900 »

attila wrote:Casey Lynch clips are not available currently. When they do become available, it will be at BladeHQ, but even they don't have any idea for expected availability because they are done in small sporadic batches.
Thanks.

Has anyone tried these on a Para?

I ask because of this user comment:

"Posed problems to install. Access hole for screw heads is too small."
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

I have a CL on my PM2 and a brand new one anxiously awaiting the Para 3.

In regards to installation, the key is to put all 3 screws in the clip before installing on the knife.

You will have to use a flat bladed screwdriver and slightly bend the clip to allow the screws to fit in the access hole. Hole is large enough just the space between the the top and bottom is tight. Once you have all 3 screws in their respective holes, you don't have to worry about dropping any because they won't fall out. Beautiful design.
I use the provided screws to install and put the factory screws on the opposite side.
One person out of many having trouble installing it is not indicative of the product. That individuals response should have been, "what am I doing wrong?"

The secret to getting one is to sign up for email alert from BladeHQ. And don't hesitate when you get the email.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Pretty sure Casey's clips fit the PM2 ;)

And the Japanese Spydies...

I've got them on every single user that has the standard Spydie 3-hole pattern. I've even modified his clips to fit non-standard clips like the Southard and original large Persian.

As Leadsled said above, put the three screws in first (I ALWAYS use the stock screws) and I have no issue getting all three into the clip holes with just my Torx driver, I don't bend the clips at all (nor honestly do I recommend it but hey it's your clip). And yes, BladeHQ is the only place in town anymore to get them. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

Bend was an unfortunate use of words... But I think people get the gist of it. Tightening the clip puts more force on it than I do putting the screws in. Plus I don't want to screw them at an angle through the hole, because the threads will get jacked for me. That's my luck.
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

flash900 wrote:
Unfortunately, I like tip-down and I don't like the way the CL clip protrudes quite a bit past the handle. I think I'm going to order a black para2 clip and call it a day.
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

Krylon BBQ stove paint solves all issues....
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

We need Pics y'all!! This might be the perfect "not sure if I wana carry a folding sword today" knife lol like the tatanka or milli or original manix. Nice little 3 incher is good every now and again. Anyway, does anyone know if it'll come in a DLC blade eventually? Or any other variants, if it's anything like it's big brother there will be sprint runs constantly :cool:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I received my Para 3 today. I like it overall. The centering is dead nuts, blade grinds are even, G-10 is grippy, detent is fairly strong, and the action is smooth. The blade doesn't fall closed like my PM2s or Sage 5 but it's close. It takes a slight flick of the wrist to close it. When I depress the lock bar with my index finger it falls 1/2 - 2/3 of the way depending on what angle I'm holding the knife at. When I try to close the blade by pushing the lock bar with my thumb (like a back lock) a slight nudge is required for the blade to start to drop. A slight pivot adjustment might be in order but I think it's already improved a little in the short time it's been out of the box. So I'll give it plenty of break in time before attempting any ajustments.

One detailed I noticed that I thought was interesting is that the recessessed liners don't follow the contour of the bottom of the handle like they do on the bottom PM2 or Sage 5. Instead they're contoured in semi-oval pattern away from the bottom shape. The G-10 is plenty thick in this area so the handle is plenty rigid. In case anyone's interested the liners do have small notches cut in them like the PM2s have.

My only complaint is that the end of the clip is bothersome when handling the knife. The end is right where my middle finger goes when I close the knife. I know it's kind of nitpicky but it's the first thing I feel when I pick the knife up. I never thought clip location would be so important to me. The fact that the knife rides higher in the pocket is a non-issue to me but I would'n't mind if they lost the large lanyard tube, or used a tiny one like the Sage 5, just to get the clip a little farther back. This might be the first knife where I've considered removing the clip altogether. I like having a clip so having to do without could be a deal breaker for me. I like the knife overall so I don't think it'll come to that. I'll give it some time to see if I get used to it or not.

If Spyderco decides to make a Para 3 FRN Lightweight, as I believe was mentioned at last year's Amsterdam meeting, and they intend to keep the large lanyard hole in the same location, I would strongly suggest they use the deep carry wire clip like they use on the Sage & Chap series. I think it would be a big improvement in how the knife feels in hand and it would carry lower it in the pocket.

Here's a (bad) pic comparing the Para 3 & Sage 5

Again, all-in-all I really like the knife. I love the size and I think it was well worth the wait. After handling the Para 3 for the past few hours I picked up a PM2 and it now feels huge! :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

Got mine today and agree with everything Sharp Guy says regarding fit and finish. I gave the pivot a micro turn loose and the blade drops free. Overall, it's a homerun but the clip position is super annoying. Clip end pokes my index knuckle and then I have to reorient my grip and finger placement to work the compression lock. It's not a deal breaker, but it's also not intuitive.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Sharp Guy wrote: My only complaint is that the end of the clip is bothersome when handling the knife. The end is right where my middle finger goes when I close the knife. I know it's kind of nitpicky but it's the first thing I feel when I pick the knife up. I never thought clip location would be so important to me.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

This part I quoted above reminds me of the Schempp Khukuri. The tip of the clip was placed exactly where a finger falls and tightens for ideal grip. Had to put a shorter Lava clip on mine otherwise it was less than comfortable.
Unfortunately there isn't a shorter regular hourglass clip available for this one.

(I can see Lynch short clip demand instantly rising! It may work better on this Para3 than it did on the PM2.)

And related to your mention of the liners being up away from the G10 edge; I wonder who will be the first to grind on their own grip contour shape and slim the handle?
Going back to Caly.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Another note regarding the Para 3. When the 2017 catalog came out some expressed concern that the blade was thicker on the Para 3 than the PM2 (.150" vs .145"). I just got out my mic and measured both and they're both the same (.145").
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

In stock again at National Knives for those looking.
- Nick :bug-red
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

In stock from the Spyderco store on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01NBRLS5S/ ... rco+para+3

Though it's selling for $149 without prime shipping. Boo. :(
Mr Danger

Post by Mr Danger »

Took the clip off mine and it's way better for the ergos. Ordered a short clip off ebay because I like having it clipped to jeans but I might just go without since most of my carry time is in office / dress pants.

Super enthused for the Rhino but that looks like the clip placement may be uncomfortable as well. Hopefully not.
Sharp knife / hairless arm.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Mushroom wrote:In stock again at National Knives for those looking.

Thanks for the heads-up. They had 6 in stock when I ordered mine.
TALON52

Post by TALON52 »

Mine came in today. Feels good in the hand. Looking forward to some sprint runs with better steals, and some CF.

Last edited by TALON52 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USMC Disabled Veteran 69/73 Semper Fi