New Models Dropped: Advocate, Rubicon 2, JM2, Junction (PICS)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

Re: New Models Dropped: Advocate, Rubicon 2, JM2, Junction (PICS)

Post by dplafoll »

SpeedHoles wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Nice comparison shot of the Advocate and GB2. I was picturing the Advocate as slightly larger in my head...

Is the Advocate handle thicker than the GB/GB2? Since it is 3d machined with a bit of contour?
The Advocate is definitely thinner, but I didn't particularly notice that it was contoured. If it was, it didn't grab my attention. I would say that the Advocate is not quite as good ergonomically if you want to do harder use, but I'm not saying the Advocate is worse in the hand in general, if that makes sense. I wouldn't hesitate to carry the Advocate, and I actually have it higher on my to-buy list than the GB now (barring price considerations).

Thanks for the reply.
I thought I recall reading in the description for the Advocate, a mention of 3D machining for handle contour, but maybe I was remembering wrong, or they toned that down alone with losing the bronz'ish coloring...
I was just looking at one on the New Graham site, and almost pulled the trigger, but hesitated a day and they were gone.

Maybe too late to ask, but do you happen to have any photos of the Advocate closed, from the side and from the edge, which you just didn't upload?
Sorry, I uploaded all the ones I had. I've got a couple of pics to take when I go back this week so I'll take those too.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Thanks for the reply.
I thought I recall reading in the description for the Advocate, a mention of 3D machining for handle contour, but maybe I was remembering wrong, or they toned that down alone with losing the bronz'ish coloring...
You're not remembering wrong. The description for the Advocate in the 2016 Mid-Year Product Guide and the description used on the dealer's websites mentions "the handle features radiused, 3-D machined, solid titanium scales...". From the pics I've seen (including top and bottom) the handles don't look very 3-D to me. Maybe it's just very subtle?

Ha, so I'm not nuts! :p

But yeah, that's why I was second guessing, because of the feedback here from dplafoll, and in the photos look quite flat, like a Mantra... maybe the edges are a bit softer and radiused more...?

But why is it about about 55 dollars more than a Mantra that uses the same blade steel, construction, and bearings?

Orange peel texture is really neat, but is it over 30% more neat?
Good question. I'll see if I can get some comparison pics between the two, and try to compare them directly.

ThePeacent wrote:Any other thoughts on the JM2? Waiting for reviews and first impressions on that one.
I had the original Jumpmaster, want more of it. Any resemblances? Comparisons?
Other things to notice or say about this beauty? Thx!

Thanks much and thanks for the pics!
You're welcome! I wish I could tell you more, but I just don't use fixed blades enough to feel like I'd be giving you an educated opinion. For what it's worth, it feels nice in the hand, but not as nice as many bushcraft-type fixed blades I've handled as it doesn't fill the palm the same way. But it's also a handle that is super light and grippy in probably any conditions, so that's probably a worthwhile compromise.

I'll take a couple of comparison pics with the JM1.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I keep seeing references to proto pics of the Advocate scales showing it as bronze. Never seen them, Wouter's pics look like what's out now. What are you guys talking about?

Was trying to search for some I might have save on my phone, but cannot find any among them.

Many of the "stock" photos on some retailers sites still appear a light bronzed color, still subtle, but appears much more so than in the photos posted here.
Just a quick Google search shows those photos at BHQ and smkw...

(I hope it's ok to post those images here from the net like that...?)

They appear to be the same stock image across the net, and maybe the lighting was just reflected off the texturing and showed up warmer than it actually is in the wild.
Going back to Caly.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

For me, I didn't really see any bronze-ish colors on it. When I handled it, it seemed to be pretty uniformly silver.
Patrick LaFollette
zacmangray

Post by zacmangray »

I am looking forward to the Junction, it looks like an awesome blade to have for backpacking and hunting tasks. I think it is the only blade that really caught my eye for this year, some others I am interested in (like the PM3) but the junction I will purchase. I only wish it was a little thicker blade at the spine.
:spyder: LWManix2s110v,MuleTeamCPM4V,Dragonfly,
DLCorangePM2XHP,PurpleDragonfly,PurpleDelica,BBCEDelica,Caly3,BBManix2,DBs110vManix2 :spyder:
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Sweet! Looking forwards to ordering a Jumpmaster 2 soon. :D
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I don't want to draw attention too far away from the good work dplfoll has done for us, but there is a Youtuber previewing all these products as well, if you need additional context with hands and angles.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

hoimin wrote:I don't want to draw attention too far away from the good work dplfoll has done for us, but there is a Youtuber previewing all these products as well, if you need additional context with hands and angles.
Oh no worries there. A video will very often give a better impression of the knife. A significant part of my purpose with these posts is more of a "breaking news" sort of thing. Let everyone know it's dropped, get some pics and a quick video, and a couple of very early impressions. I'm no gear reviewer. :D
Patrick LaFollette
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

dplafoll wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Thanks for the reply.
You're not remembering wrong. The description for the Advocate in the 2016 Mid-Year Product Guide and the description used on the dealer's websites mentions "the handle features radiused, 3-D machined, solid titanium scales...". From the pics I've seen (including top and bottom) the handles don't look very 3-D to me. Maybe it's just very subtle?

Ha, so I'm not nuts! :p

But yeah, that's why I was second guessing, because of the feedback here from dplafoll, and in the photos look quite flat, like a Mantra... maybe the edges are a bit softer and radiused more...?

But why is it about about 55 dollars more than a Mantra that uses the same blade steel, construction, and bearings?

Orange peel texture is really neat, but is it over 30% more neat?
Good question. I'll see if I can get some comparison pics between the two, and try to compare them directly.

ThePeacent wrote:Any other thoughts on the JM2? Waiting for reviews and first impressions on that one.

You're welcome! I wish I could tell you more, but I just don't use fixed blades enough to feel like I'd be giving you an educated opinion. For what it's worth, it feels nice in the hand, but not as nice as many bushcraft-type fixed blades I've handled as it doesn't fill the palm the same way. But it's also a handle that is super light and grippy in probably any conditions, so that's probably a worthwhile compromise.

I'll take a couple of comparison pics with the JM1.
Much appreciated!
A thing I really dig about all my Spyderco FB is the thinness and light weight for the size, and I was hoping the JM2 was in this trend as well.
Thanks!
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Hey guys. I took more pics yesterday as requested, and they're now posted in the same album linked in the first post.
Enjoy!
Patrick LaFollette
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm almost positive the 2 uses the exact same handle and stock as the JM1. It should perform very much like a serrated LW Temperance.

**You here that JD?? Serrated LW Temperance!! This is probably as close as you're gonna get! ;)
Zen

Post by Zen »

Any infos about the JumpMaster2 planned as plain edge model also? I would like to know how thick the handle is with the FRN scales.
It looks very ergonomic. I own an Enuff for some weeks now and like it very much. The grip looks similar to the compact Enuff
just more grip and more ergonomic. As an EDC I realy would like to have a JM2 as plain edge. Like a perfect Mule in H1 :)
Also with under 12cm edge lenght a perfect carry as an legal EDC knife to german laws.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Zen wrote:Any infos about the JumpMaster2 planned as plain edge model also? I would like to know how thick the handle is with the FRN scales.
It looks very ergonomic. I own an Enuff for some weeks now and like it very much. The grip looks similar to the compact Enuff
just more grip and more ergonomic. As an EDC I realy would like to have a JM2 as plain edge. Like a perfect Mule in H1 :)
Also with under 12cm edge lenght a perfect carry as an legal EDC knife to german laws.
If the handle is like the JM1 as Gringo suggests, and the OP says, then it's nothing like you've handled before as far as comfort goes.
Thin, but very grippy and secure, allows extended usa, use with gloves and great dexterity with all parts of the knife in most environments and conditions.

It is, in my experience, a step or two above 90% of production fixed blade handles and ergonomics out there.
Extremely pleased with the thin profile and grip. ;)
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Zen wrote:Any infos about the JumpMaster2 planned as plain edge model also? I would like to know how thick the handle is with the FRN scales.
I doubt they produce a PE version, as this was originally designed very specifically to cut cord. They'd probably need to see a pretty serious demand for it.
Patrick LaFollette
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wander when the Ackerman CPM 20CV Sustain will make its debut?
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

There is/was a Japanese market jumpmaster in plain edge, so... Maybe?