Do you play with your knife in the car.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rybu0305

Re: Do you play with your knife in the car.

Post by rybu0305 »

Yep, especially when I get a new knife. No all the time though.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

In the film "Snatch", there is a scene in which a car passenger is carrying a large blade; the vehicle crashes, and the the two characters in the front seats turn around and find him impaled. I watched that when I was a kid, so it has been in the back of my mind ever since lol. No blade fiddling for me when in a moving vehicle.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

I do. My steering wheel has a little gouge in it where I flicked my manix a little too close to it and the blade tip stabbed a hole in it.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Mic1 wrote:
PayneTrain wrote:Yup! I try to do it responsibly so as not to endanger myself or look like I'm on my way to murder someone, but I'm sure it happens. :o Live life on the edge! Pun totally intended.

Totally made me laugh. I think the same thing. Hope no one calls the cops on the psycho with knife in the truck.
Haha I have been seen before and gotten some pretty crazy looks.lol Who knows what they are thinking.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Water Bug wrote:No, I do not play with my :spyder:, or any knife, in the car while driving or riding.

If I have to deploy my :spyder:, or any knife, in the car then either there's truly a justified need or requirement to do so, or, the car is stopped in a safe area and in "Park" before I draw the knife from my pocket or sheath... and, if I draw my knife out while parked, I do so in order to use it for a justified need or requirement.
I second what Water Bug wrote; in addition I may reposition my knife so it is accessible in case I need it while buckled in, whether it be cross draw, moved to a cargo pocket, position it in the console. I'll typically have a SE Mariner tucked under my seat cover (yet accessible with either hand) in case a seat belt may need to be cut.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I used to play with knives while driving, but I had a few close calls and decided it wasn't worth the risk.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

No thanks, got to watch out for all the other drivers out there not paying attention!
Josh
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Glad I'm not the only one, and like a lot of you I don't dare when the wife is in the car! I'm training myself to limit the flicky-flicky to when I'm at a stop, but I still have a ways to go. Rush hour traffic is especially tricky - temptation and risks are both at peak levels.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Nope. Was never even tempted when younger. It always seemed an unacceptable risk for no reward.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Opening and closing knife mindlessly while driving + hit a bump or get bumped = stab yourself in your femoral artery and bleed out before you can pull over to the side of the road.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Sharp Guy wrote:Wish I could but I drive a stick so there's already enough going on. When I'm driving an auto trans it's my girlfriend's car and she's usually with me. She's been pretty fair when I'm messing with knives at home so I don't push my luck when we're in the car together.
Yeah I drive stick as well. But when I fidget it's usually in stop/go traffic or cruising on the highway. And I'll keep my knife of the day right below the shifter where I can reach and store it quickly. And I think driving stick makes me better at fidgeting with the right hand and driving with the left, since I drive one-handed anyways.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
attila

Post by attila »

I normally do between shifting and when the wife isn't with me, but I always make sure the knife isn't between me and the airbags just in case.
My smoothest is a Breeden Rescue that nearly drops shut, so I look forward to gettin a Para 3 to get a smoother knife to play with.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Yes, only at stop lights though ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I am certainly guilty.. I bought one of those Kydex PM2 neck sheaths from bladehq and hung it on my rearview mirror.. I cant help but pull it out and flip in traffic..
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I drive stick, so I don't really have a free hand all the time. But when I'm on my way to work, I take the highway and I'm in the highest gear for 25 minutes or so. At those times I have played with my knife, but probably happened five or so times.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Car? Sure. Even a couple times while riding my bike (bicycle). Not often though, because it is REALLY stupid. I could lose my knife! :eek:
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Stupid seems harsh, risky or not advisable for sure. Fun... absolutely.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I hold a traditional. Jigged bone scales are a good tactile material. This way I don't have any open blade while I'm driving.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I do it occasionally. Like others; mainly with a new knife and when I don't have my wife or daughter with me.
palonej

Post by palonej »

When alone, working, I flick incessantly. Usually drive ~ 150 miles a day.......and it is boring!
Joe