MT23P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with CPM 20CV

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Skizdaddy03

Re: MT23P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with CPM 20CV

Post by Skizdaddy03 »

New here. Just ordered a mt24 maxamet and carbon fiber Halpern scales. Can't wait! Been carrying a bill Moran and really like it. Now to narrow down a sheath.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Skizdaddy03 wrote:New here. Just ordered a mt24 maxamet and carbon fiber Halpern scales. Can't wait! Been carrying a bill Moran and really like it. Now to narrow down a sheath.
Welcome to the forum Skizdaddy03. You picked a great Mule! There are leather sheath options you can find as well as custom makers and shops that will make a custom kydex sheath for your knife. If you're crafty you can definitely make your own sheath too. In the picture forum there's a Mule thread where you can see lots of sheath ideas.

Best regards,
Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Zen

Post by Zen »

With 20.0% Chromium this is absolutly rust free like the H1 direction? Is there any chance Spyderco will offer scale sets anytime?
I would realy like to have the frn grips from the Jumpmaster https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=371 1 or 2 on it.
A Jumpmaster 2 with plain edge would be my perfect Mule I guess :o
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

Sheathpro makes a fantastic kydex sheath for mule Teams fitted with Halpern scales. Cost for mine was $35 plus shipping.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

Does anyone know what hardness these were run at? This mule seems to hold an edge longer than the M390 that I have in a different knife @ 61rc. It sharpens a little harder too. Then again, these differences are subtle so it could just be me...
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Spyderco usually does not comment on the HRC. They have had some problems with ZDP-189 scales that were run to hard but they also changed the HRC on S110V so that the military ran higher than the mule. I would not be surprised if they ran it a bit harder than some others do the same steel. I really like it in my experience.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Zen wrote:With 20.0% Chromium this is absolutly rust free like the H1 direction? ....
No. Although a higher Chromium level does add corrosion resistance, Chromium % doesn't correlate to corrosion resistance that simply. Chromium during the heat treating process will combine with other elements as carbides are formed. This product relies on a high degree of Vanadium carbides to create good edge holding capability. The mix of elements and the HT protocol will have more to do with the outcome than anything. 20CV has very good corrosion resistance but it's not an H1 type of product. In my opinion that's really good news. For one thing...it will hold an edge, which is something I'm sorry I can't say about H1. In fact, it will hold an edge extremely well. CPM20CV, M390 and CTS204P are all the same alloy content. Even the processes for making those 3 are nearly the same. Any differences between those 3 steels will come mostly from the HT process. Specifically, corrosion resistance is a little better than 440C and not as good as 420.

http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataSheets ... 2020CV.pdf

Best regards,

Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.