Why no Spydies with white scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ryguy76

Why no Spydies with white scales?

Post by ryguy76 »

Is it just me, or would white scales be pretty sharp lookin' on certain knives. Not sure if white G10 is possible, but if it were, white G10 with silver liners would look **** fine.

I get that it could get grubby for those that use their knives in messy conditions or with dirty hands and that would be hard to keep clean, therefore it would likely be best suited for a "Gentleman's Knife" offering. I think it would be a Super Classy look.
My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
Slumblor

Re: Why no Spydies with white scales?

Post by Slumblor »

There was this - https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=328 - which is pretty cool. I'd take one in PE
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
bh49

Post by bh49 »

There were few gents knives with white scales: Phoenix, Goddard Jr and Kopa Evrina. There were few sprints with white FRN as well. I am not a huge fan of white scales. It is getting dirty fairly fast, even on gents knife. If it goes to a pocket, edges of scales between scale and liner and areas around rivets getting black.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

In the past there have been a couple in white Micarta - Baby Jess Horn, Goddard Jr., and Howard Viele Phoenix, a series in white FRN - Dragonfly, Delica, and Endura, and the Evrina (faux ivory) Kopa. Some folks complained that white FRN gets grungy looking too easily, but most here would like to see more of it, if for no other reason than that white FRN can be dyed any color you want. Folks also complain about lighter colors in G-10, but that's really just a factor of the peel-ply texturing. White Micarta doesn't get grungy looking, because it's polished. So, assuming white G-10 exists, then polished would be the best way to finish it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

White G-10 does exist. I've purchased it before.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I think the upcoming lil nilakka is going to be white.

I love the look on my Phoenix

Ken
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd love a white FRN Delica FFG with a shiny clip very much. I think for other knives (I prefer FRN) with G10, it should be polished if white, to clean easy.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Gimme a full size nilakka with the same steel and scales as the lil version and I'll be a happy camper.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'll be getting the Lil Nilakka for sure, especially now we know its coming with RWL 34. A real nice Jess Horn with white micarta just sold on the Bay here recently @ $207, watched it for a while but got too rich for my wallet.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Tdhurl1103

Post by Tdhurl1103 »

At one time I suggested/wished for a Double Bevel with white G-10. No one listened, of course. Haha

The DB is the knife my wife got me for our 20th wedding anniversary, and has since become my "gents" knife. Would have been awesome in white.
Tom H

Spydernation #327
Beckerhead #284
KA-BAR Krew #27

Para 3, Gayle Bradley 1, Double Bevel, Paramilitary 2, Paramilitary 2 S110V, Sage 1, Persistence
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is one of those things I wish Spyderco would sell separately, just plain white scales for various knives. I would buy sets of white G10 scales for a lot of my knives so I could dye them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:This is one of those things I wish Spyderco would sell separately, just plain white scales for various knives. I would buy sets of white G10 scales for a lot of my knives so I could dye them.
^ This! FRN too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I've got a white Dragonfly.
Going back to Caly.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

White scales are a mank collector and get minging fast. :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

demoncase wrote:White scales are a mank collector and get minging fast. :)
Is that English?
- best wishes, Jazz.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Jazz wrote:
demoncase wrote:White scales are a mank collector and get minging fast. :)
Is that English?
Yes....Once you get north of Watford. ;)

Mank: (n)- Pejorative description of dirt or other unpleasant detritus. Something very dirty could be considered 'Manky'.
Minging: (v)- Descriptive term for something that through its physical appearance looks like it probably smells. The state of being minging can be as a direct result of a collection an excess of mank.

Things may also ming as a result of mankiness.

"Look at all the mank on that old bathtub....it's proper minging, is that"

(We don't all talk like them posh lot in Downton Abbey, y'know :D)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Jazz wrote:
Is that English?
Thanks for asking! I thought it was an example of autocorrect run amok. ;)

Great explanation though!

Ken
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Actually, if you mank your white Spydie till it minges then your black ones ones must be mank city without you realizing it.
I have a Goddard, Endura & Dragonfly in white.
I used to EDC the D'fly & leave it in the pocket to go through the wash. Came up clean every time.
O.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

demoncase wrote:
Mank: (n)- Pejorative description of dirt or other unpleasant detritus. Something very dirty could be considered 'Manky'.
Minging: (v)- Descriptive term for something that through its physical appearance looks like it probably smells. The state of being minging can be as a direct result of a collection an excess of mank.

Things may also ming as a result of mankiness.

"Look at all the mank on that old bathtub....it's proper minging, is that"

(We don't all talk like them posh lot in Downton Abbey, y'know :D)
Kind of what I thought. I love how everyone has different terms for things. Thanks, old chap. I'd call it right rank here in southern Alberta.

They really are easy to clean with soap and a toothbrush. My yellow Salts got manky all the time, and I did just that.
- best wishes, Jazz.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm ready for a run of Seki sprints in White FRN with TiCN coated Cruwear!!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red