Best Value in a Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scottie3000

Best Value in a Spyderco

Post by Scottie3000 »

What's everyone's opinion of the best value in a Spyderco product, all things considered? (Past or present)

The Tenacious is a great value, no doubt, but IMO not write-home-to-mom better or different than other knives at that price point.

The Para2 packs a lot of performance and innovation into its price point, and is an all time favorite of many, but best value? IDK

I'm going to say the Native 5 Lightweight S110V. For around $110, you get S110V steel, a new better designed and built Native, and USA made. I'm truly impressed with the build quality. The blade lockup is rock solid and I remember Sal saying they EDM cut the lock interfaces now; very precision. The handle is grippy and light but still very rigid. It feels more solid than other FRN models with liners like the Delica and Endura. Ergos are love or hate, but I love them.
Evil D

Re: Best Value in a Spyderco

Post by Evil D »

I'd say any of the S110V production knives. It's an insane steel that not long ago was only offered in high end customs or the rare sprint run. Being able to order up a S110V Military any time you like is just amazing. It's an awesome time to be a knife guy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Imo, the Pacific Salt and Sage 1 are great value knives.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Best value is pretty subjective and it really depends on personal taste. For me the Delica 4 LW (VG-10) & Native 5 LW (S35VN) are both great values. There are several others I could list too (Dragonfly 2 LW, Manix 2 LW, Stretch, etc).

I agree that the entire S110V line are good values. Of these I think the Manix 2 LW offers the best bang for the buck.

To me Spyderco = Value
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'd also say the S110V line, the Gayle Bradley 1 (was) and 2 is probably right up there too. The Sharpmaker is a pretty good bargain too considering how much I've actually used mine. ;) :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

Like Sharp Guy stated, it's subjective. I think the Raven 2 is hard to beat for an affordable, well-designed, thick-@$$ blade, that is comfortable and carries well. But for me, I just bought a Szabo and it is a wwork of useable art for $165. Great value!
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

The Manix 2 in G-10 offers a very good value in my opinion. When I got mine I think I paid $88. You get a strong, easy to use lock, S30V, stainless steel liners, and it's made in the US. All the same materials as the PM2, but at a lower price. Sure, you don't get nested and skeletonized liners, but for the price it's hard to beat.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would probably say either the manix 2 or paramilitary
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Cat and the Manix 2 LW. Love the Cat.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

The Gayle Bradley and Manix ARE strong too.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I agree, it really depends on the individual's taste in knives and uses, but, I would say among the pricier knives, The Pacific Salt, and, among the more inexpensive ones, the Byrd Cara Cara and Tenacious.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sprints (and some exclusives)...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
npad69

Post by npad69 »

for me, the best value will probably be "the most used spydie + most bang for my buck" so i'd say my santoku and sharpmaker
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Byrd Raven 2, no doubt. Sal hit a home run with that one. Both performance, looks and quality-wise it's like it is $80 too cheap :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A big pink Chinese Lum for $79.95 was great value! :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

<My vote goes to the Pacific Salt
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

S30v PM2, and S35VN Native LWT are some of the best values around.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The GB2 is in my opinion the best value in the knife world if we are discussing premium folders. That is a ridiculously nice knife for $140.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I should have added the Delica and Endura to my list. I think the Cat, Delica, and Endura are the best value based upon materials, quality, and cost. Even an average person can afford to buy a very good knife with one of these choices.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mb1

Post by mb1 »

There are many contenders here for sure. But wasn't the PM2 the main driver for expansion in Golden? That speaks volumes. The people have voted.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man