Dyeing Pink FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
IR192

Dyeing Pink FRN

Post by IR192 »

Has anyone successfully RIT dyed their pink FRN handles? If so, what colour did you make? I have some and want to try it; I have already read the thread where yellow frn was done, and would like to know what I might be able to obtain before I just go ahead and dye them.
Any experienced folks like to chime in, perhaps with some pics?
Thanks Kindly.
Ed
Recently Acquired: Hap40 Endura, Hap40 Stretch, Manix2 LW XHP, PM2 Cruwear, Farid K2, Kiwi4, LC200N Native, Large Lum Folder, Manix2 Cruwear.

In The Works: 204P Military, Nirvana, Slysz Bowie.
-Ed
vaisforlovers

Re: Dyeing Pink FRN

Post by vaisforlovers »

I bought a Squeak on the other Forums which was dyed purple from the the original pink. It ended up on the maroon side of purple. More like a red wine than the PBS dinosaur we all love the hate. I'll try and get a picture up tomorrow evening.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Found it quicker than I expected, so I'll post tonight. I leave in the morning before daylight and get home after dark, so no hope of better lighting anyway (I hate this dark part of the year).

With indoor lighting, color is difficult to reproduce, so I throught I'd throw in some other purples, pinks, and maroons for reference. It should be obvious, but the dyed one is the Squeak in the middle. With my color challenged eyes, I'd put it closest in color to the Blurple S110V PM2.

Once again I bought it this way, otherwise I'd offer some pointers.

Good luck. Let's see some before and after pics !
BTG

Post by BTG »

This Blurple-ish denim color from using rit dark green
IMG_0508.JPG
IR192

Post by IR192 »

vaisforlovers wrote:Found it quicker than I expected, so I'll post tonight. I leave in the morning before daylight and get home after dark, so no hope of better lighting anyway (I hate this dark part of the year).

With indoor lighting, color is difficult to reproduce, so I throught I'd throw in some other purples, pinks, and maroons for reference. It should be obvious, but the dyed one is the Squeak in the middle. With my color challenged eyes, I'd put it closest in color to the Blurple S110V PM2.

Once again I bought it this way, otherwise I'd offer some pointers.

Good luck. Let's see some before and after pics !
Thanks very much for putting that montage together on such short notice!! I think I like that color, or maybe a shade lighter. I will see if the rit company can tell me what color of mix will get me there. Thanks again!
Regards,
Ed
Recently Acquired: Hap40 Endura, Hap40 Stretch, Manix2 LW XHP, PM2 Cruwear, Farid K2, Kiwi4, LC200N Native, Large Lum Folder, Manix2 Cruwear.

-Ed
IR192

Post by IR192 »

BTG wrote:This Blurple-ish denim color from using rit dark green
IMG_0508.JPG
Oh yes, that is very nice! Thank you! Was that obtained using a full package, mixed with 2cups water and 1cup vinegar, as others have suggested?
Regards,
Ed

-Ed
BTG

Post by BTG »

Oh yes, that is very nice! Thank you! Was that obtained using a full package, mixed with 2cups water and 1cup vinegar, as others have suggested?
Regards,
Ed[/quote]
Yes, this was my first attempt so I just followed those instructions.i used the powder....I think it came with two packets, I used the whole box at any rate...not what I expected (dark green) but I wasn't sure what it would end up mixed with a pink base, but I really like it......there was a similar post not too long ago and burgundy dye makes a really nice mix also.......I went and found that pic.
IMG_0505.JPG
irontriangle

Post by irontriangle »

Hello,

I got the pink squeak because I love the colour RED!!!! And I figured the pink FRN would be an easy transition to Red using the synthetic racing red rit dye.

Has anyone tried this?

I rit dyed my yellow ladybug salt and it went well, however 3 years later it is wearing and showing yellow again so I’ll re-dye it soon.

That video or montage you posted isn’t loading. If anyone has more photos of pink FRN being rit dyed please post.

I really wish Spyderco would release more knives with red handles. Barely seen any over the years. I love red scales lol.

Thanks

MP
Manix 2 Maxamet LW, Sub-Hilt Vallotton, Hundred Pacer, Yojumbo, Spydiechef, Dragonfly ZDP-189, Lil Temperance 3, PM2 S110V, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Q-Ball, Schempp Bowie, Smock, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Dogtag Folder, Ladybug Salt, Magnitude S30V, Meerkat Rex-45, Meerkat Aus 6, Squeak
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

BTG wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:35 pm
Regards,
Ed

Yes, this was my first attempt so I just followed those instructions.i used the powder....I think it came with two packets, I used the whole box at any rate...not what I expected (dark green) but I wasn't sure what it would end up mixed with a pink base, but I really like it......there was a similar post not too long ago and burgundy dye makes a really nice mix also.......I went and found that pic.IMG_0505.JPG
Man, that knife was ages ago for me, not sure where those cool looking placemats went either! Funny thing too, that particular knife was stolen from me.

In regard to the actual thread topic, I’ve been RIT dyeing knives for 10 years now and I’ve found that it’s fairly easy to go darker in a particular color theme, like pink to maroon on that large Lum of mine. Once you shoot for a different color scheme, say pink/red to green or blue, it’s a mystery what color you’ll actually end up with. I’ve had scales come out some completely unintended colors in more than a few cases! FRN also absorbs RIT dye in a matter of seconds while dyeing G10 can take upwards of an hour or more sometimes to get sufficiently deep dye penetration. Good luck! Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

irontriangle wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:26 pm
Hello,

I got the pink squeak because I love the colour RED!!!! And I figured the pink FRN would be an easy transition to Red using the synthetic racing red rit dye.

Has anyone tried this?

I rit dyed my yellow ladybug salt and it went well, however 3 years later it is wearing and showing yellow again so I’ll re-dye it soon.

That video or montage you posted isn’t loading. If anyone has more photos of pink FRN being rit dyed please post.

I really wish Spyderco would release more knives with red handles. Barely seen any over the years. I love red scales lol.

Thanks

MP

For the longest time red was reserved for trainer knives only and it was a strict rule, it wasn't until fairly recently that we've started seeing red used on other variations. I think on older models the only one that comes to mind was a red handled Persian.

When dying, the color don't exactly mix the way paint would mix on a canvas but the starting color definitely effects the end result, and you can really only go darker, so for example you'll never turn pink into yellow, you'd probably end up with some weird orange brown color.

The good news is Rit does make a dye remover and it works well enough to get a second chance if you don't like how it turns out. It won't strip the dye all the way back to brand new like it was never dyed but it's good enough for a redo. I've dyed the same G10 4-5 times this way. Yellow seems to be the most forgiving starter color (besides white of course but white is very rarely used).

I think your Squeak will dye red very well. They all wear over time though, so you may need to dye it again someday. Dying a second time might give you a darker shade than you want, so when the time comes you may want to use the dye remover first and start fresh.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David