What's your most bloodthirsty Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: What's your most bloodthirsty Spydie?

Post by JD Spydo »

The Spyder that got more of my blood that any other with no close second is my Burgundy ZDP-189 Caly Jr. Back in 2007 when I was doing some work opening up a package for an appliance I had my Caly Jr slip on me and as surgical sharp as that puppy was it literally cut my finger all the way to the bone.

That finger smarted for almost 2 months and to this day the end of the finger to half way down is very numb in the winter. Luckily I was working for a Doctor at that time and he immediately dressed it professionally. He was even amazed at how precise and clean of a cut that it was. That ZDP-189 Caly Jr you could get so sharp it was almost like working with a surgeon's scalpel.

But to some degree I've been bitten at one time or another by almost everyone of my users out of my Spyderco rotation. Like a dumb teenager I guess I just don't learn my lesson very well :o Or I just tend to get a false sense of security because I work with knives so much. Whatever the reason I find myself wearing a band-aid much the year :o
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

I have 5 Spydies with two on the way and haven't cut myself yet. I've been reading through this thread flicking my Delica open and closing it the whole time. I do this left or right handed daily. I've also got 2 Manix 2s, a PM2, and a Tenacious that I do this with all the time too. I'm a mechanic so using my hands without being able to actually see them is an almost everyday thing. I can close all of them one handed left or right. Even the Tenacious has a little flat spot at the very bottom of the blade just inside the handle that comes out when the blade starts to close, it's easy to close without cutting yourself.

I mostly get cut by jagged and/or rusty sheet metal, screws, and every other sharp part of engine compartments that the factory has deemed as not needing to be blunted. I rarely bleed, my skin is very calloused and I usually notice a cut only after it catches on something. The worst I ever cut myself was when a beer mug I was washing burst apart with my hand inside, it was only 3 stiches. I was an 8 year old at the time, now it would probably take six judging how far the stitch scars are apart. ****, I typed this mostly with my right hand as my left continued to open and close my Delica one handed.

I played with balisongs for years and never cut myself. I'm not sure if it's luck or just good dexterity. Either way, I'm probably do ;)
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

FCM415 wrote:The Tenacious for me. I have it laser sharp and I play with it alot. One example was when I practiced left hand use for the heck of it and it bit me while closing.
FCM415 wrote:Tenacious.

Because I have it mirror polished very sharp all the time, and I open and close it alot...Like a stress ball.

Got me three or four times REAL good now. Twice while inebriated.
Just realized that I replied to this thread twice. November 2013 and February 2015 hehe.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My 2013 Forum Native5. It cut me only once, but it was a lot blood. Thanks G-d my wife wasn't home.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Manix 2 Cru Wear for me.....

Idk what it is but it gets me a lot
Ovrclck

Post by Ovrclck »

PM2 CF M4

Needed 3 staples. Dr said the cut was very clean. :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I was shaving some arm hair with my SB D'Fly and I was being a little careless and managed to shave a ultra-thin hair sized curly strip of skin off my arm. I pay more attention now.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I had my Sage 5 in my front pocket, and I needed a bigger knife to do some work for a kitchen remodel. So I quickly threw my military in my back pocket tip up without clipping it. I got in the car and thought "I should probably take the military out of my back pocket so it won't open when I sit on it", and sure enough, it was open! And I got a stab and a cut all the way down my pointer finger. I guess that's why it's tip down only!
BTG

Post by BTG »

M2's without a doubt, sometimes when closing I'll pull the lock to free up the blade and flick it closed, and the tip of the blade will just catch the meat at the base of thumb..
Skaaphaas

Re:

Post by Skaaphaas »

JNewell wrote:Original Zowada. Brachial artery severed. Big mess.

Why in the world was this post never quoted to get the full story?
Able Dog

Re: Re:

Post by Able Dog »

Skaaphaas wrote:

Why in the world was this post never quoted to get the full story?
:D

Odd how it didn't seem to raise many eyebrows.

As for me, the only cut from a Spyderco, that I remember, was from my Manix 2. Freshly sharpened and I was in a hurry to get out the house, but I felt that I "needed" to test the sharpness.

In my haste I knicked my thumb pretty good.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Uncommon blade curves and shapes get me every time. My Spyderhawk is king there, with 3 bites during these years.

Tasman counts for two bites to date,

Lil' Matriarch has one,

It0s a love-hate relationship that I have with hawkbills and reverse S blades :D
cliff_B07

Post by cliff_B07 »

I surgically removed two soft corns on my toe's using the salt ladybug. Second time i'v done this but the first time i'v used a Spyderco to do it.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Still never been cut. I'm pissing into the wind of irony asking for stitches :p
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

For me it was the Delica. A few years ago I bought a new blue Delica. The action was very tight so I oiled the pivot and was working the blade back and forth. Wasn't paying attention and sliced the diggity out of my thumb. Visit to the ER, and 6 stiches later things were better. The doc at the ER commented on how clean the cut was. She did such a great job with sutures, that I don't have a noticeable scar. Have 2 other cuts to the hands from commercial fishing days that left still visible scars. Hopefully no more cuts for me. :o :spyder:
JD Spydo

Re:

Post by JD Spydo »

Well "JNewell" I can agree with you 150% on that one :rolleyes: :o >> I've owned at least 3 of those original C-56 ZOWADA models and I can attest that those "spear point" blades as nice as they are to work with can also turn on you like a "bad evil woman" :eek: :D Not only have I had a lot of painful experience with the ZOWADA model I also had a Benchmade model 640 Boguszewski Spike model that I constantly bit myself with.

It's really funny and extremely ironic however because those Spear Point blades like the Boguszewski Spike, Spyderco ZOWADA, Spyderco C-50 Centofante and it's little brother the C-25 have all bit me several times over the years when I've owned and used them>> but the twisted irony is that they are still some of my all time favorite blades ever :cool:

Don't ask me to explain that in logical terms because I can't :rolleyes: But I would get all of them again in a heartbeat irrespective of their assaults on my flesh :eek: :rolleyes:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

remember my course with Hawkbills? It had to happen again before the year got to its end :o
That tip is lethal, it's the part that always gets my finger.

All the times the hawks got me was at the very tip. I think it has to do with the perceived position of the tip and width/curvature of the blade, which I am not 100% used to after using so many conventional shaped blades and folders...

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Been cut with a few. Just playing around/carelessness.
But....I give the K2 respect lol....
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My worst Spyderbite was from a Delica, but my FRN Cricket has gotten me the most times. The combination of short handle and reverse-S blade manages to nip a fingertip about every other time I close it.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

GB2 M4 steel. Last february I almost sliced off my thumb. I sliced it on 2 places along the 2 joints of my thumb and left a monument for the rest of my life. There was a lot of blood and a couple of months to heal. Among all the cuts and little stabs in my hands over the decades this wounds inflicted by the Bradley were the worst. I still love the knife though..... :o (and mr. Bradley of course)