To Honor?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Johnnie1801

Re: To Honor?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I know Paul likes his automatics so why not an Autonomy with a plain edge in stainless steel
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Johnnie1801 wrote:I know Paul likes his automatics so why not an Autonomy with a plain edge in stainless steel

That'd be swell, and only a few people from a couple of states could buy it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Jazz wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:I know Paul likes his automatics so why not an Autonomy with a plain edge in stainless steel

That'd be swell, and only a few people from a couple of states could buy it.
No need for the sarcasm, we've had enough childish xxxx in this thread already

EDITED - TazKristi - Language unnecessary. This is a family-friendly forum so please refrain from using profanity.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I do like Paul's idea of a stretch with a straight spine like on the Para. Sal, is that possible?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I do like Paul's idea of a stretch with a straight spine like on the Para. Sal, is that possible?
Me too. Some time ago I made this:
Stretch.jpg
The edge is identical to the drop point version so it shouldn't be too difficult to make I think.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think this is a fabulous idea, the sort we've come to expect and demand from Sal & associates :D I admire at least a few dozen people on this forum and no doubt have differing political views with a lot of them, but I think The Deacon is the best place to start this custom. Paul has always been one of my favorite members because he's a treasure trove of information and doesn't mince words when he gets ready to let you know how he feels about something :p

As for what knife, it's great that we're all being consulted, but I think the final say-so should rest with Sal and the recipient of the honor, with the recipient telling what they would really like and Sal being more concerned with feasibility, production and sales concerns, etc.
The Deacon wrote: ...So, while I still think there are a number of more deserving candidates for such an honor, a knife I that would reflect a good deal of my "tastes" and still have a chance of selling reasonably well would be a brown FRN VG-10 Stretch with no Boye dent and a straight spined (Military, PM2 style) blade.
I would think of Paul wanting more of a gentleman's knife, maybe a variation on a Kopa or Kiwi, but we should take him at his word about the knife, materials, and color (I happen to love brown FRN ;) ). Maybe he could suggest a second knife of a more "gent's" type and let Sal pick between the two.

As for what I would pull for, the straight edged Stretch is very close to what I've been whining for around here for months -- something halfway between an Endura and a Delica and with a choil. It would be really cool if we could get an outline of his other Deacon avatar (the WWII plane nose art pic) on the blade.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
No need for the sarcasm, we've had enough childish xxxx in this thread already
:rolleyes: And swearing. But seriously, sorry bro. I just don't know why autos are even made if they're so restricted and inaccessible... but you're right, Paul likes and carries them.
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mb1 wrote:Brown...like Hershey brown or S35VN PM2 brown?

Wood is brown. Just sayin' ;)
Was thinking the same brown as the FFG FRN Delica and Endura to keep things simple. What can I say, I like brown and it also happens to be one color I like that's not associated with some steel other than VG-10 or with a specific class of knives.
DougC-3 wrote:Maybe he could suggest a second knife of a more "gent's" type and let Sal pick between the two.
Ok, I'll play along and offer, as an alternative, a clipless dentless Kopa, bolstered and in VG-10 like the original 16, with some form of antler for scales and my first choice for that being shed elk.
Jazz wrote:But seriously, sorry bro. I just don't know why autos are even made if they're so restricted and inaccessible... but you're right, Paul likes and carries them.
True, I like them. And, yes, I'd love to see a PE FFG S30V Autonomy, However, as you correctly pointed out, the legal restrictions placed on Spyderco autos make it an extremely poor choice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would so buy a PE/S30V Autonomy. Already have a thread wishing for that though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Re: Evil D

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:I would so buy a PE/S30V Autonomy. Already have a thread wishing for that though.
Agreed, but with either a drop- or spear-point blade. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
timlara

Re: Evil D

Post by timlara »

SpyderNut wrote:
Evil D wrote:I would so buy a PE/S30V Autonomy. Already have a thread wishing for that though.
Agreed, but with either a drop- or spear-point blade. :D
I would if I could, but I can't so I wont! :(
Tim
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

.....and available for everybody..... :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Ok, I'll play along and offer, as an alternative, a clipless dentless Kopa, bolstered and in VG-10 like the original 16, with some form of antler for scales and my first choice for that being shed elk.
Now you're getting into the swing of it Paul.

Antler can be great when done well. Don't forget tool steel, right handed and African Blackwood or Ebony. Oh wait. That's me... Sorry. I Thought that's what you said.

:)

Joe
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote: Ok, I'll play along and offer, as an alternative, a clipless dentless Kopa, bolstered and in VG-10 like the original 16, with some form of antler for scales and my first choice for that being shed elk.
May be one of my dream knives will come true. :p Please add 2 mm thick stock. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Whichever one it turns out to be, I just hope my fixed/broke income will be able to sustain another hit by then. I can hardly remember a time when so many knives I wanted were coming out or in the works. Right now it's 4 must-have's, 3 want-real-bad's, and 8 others on the list.

I think the clipless Kopa would fit safely at the bottom of the pocket I reserve for a big clipped knife, and the "straight stretch" would really be a must have... hey, why don't we kick off this program with two knives :confused: one for each 10 thousand posts :p

Edit: one for each 10,000 posts! (not 1000)
Re-edit: Just joking here of course ;) -- not meaning to sound too greedy in the face of Sal's amazingly generous gesture to us forumites
Last edited by DougC-3 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Oh cmon, it has to be a bolstered Stretch!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Deacon wrote:

Was thinking the same brown as the FFG FRN Delica and Endura to keep things simple. What can I say, I like brown and it also happens to be one color I like that's not associated with some steel other than VG-10 or with a specific class of knives.
what about brown digi camo or some fancy custom brown frn pattern like the green "Zome" frn delica 4. Don't you think that would sell better than, plain ole' brown? Don't get me wrong, I like brown.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Since Paul likes clipless folders, the Kopa makes more sense to me than the Stretch, much as I'd love a straight-spined Stretch. I'd bet that most here would prefer a clip on a Stretch, but a clipless Kopa with classy scales makes a nice gent's knife, and feels in line with the Deacon's style.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

what about brown digi camo or some fancy custom brown frn pattern like the green "Zome" frn delica 4. Don't you think that would sell better than, plain ole' brown? Don't get me wrong, I like brown.
Yes, they very well might sell better. However, neither would represent my tastes, which I thought was the point of the exercise.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Sounds like a Kopa or Stretch with Paul's choice of embellishment might be in order? Kopa please :)