Which salt variation is best for my task?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ShawnKirkpatrick

Which salt variation is best for my task?

Post by ShawnKirkpatrick »

Hey everyone, I have recently become kinda interested in the salt line and really like the looks and everything of the pacific salt. I thought I had my mind made up, but then started thinking of all the "chores" it's going to be used for and I'm hung up on the edge that would be best. I intend to use the knife for of course fishing (cutting up bait, filleting, cutting line, etc.) field dressing animals (deer, squirrel, rabbits, etc.) and using the knife out in the yard and garden. I just am kind of skeptical about if I should get the serrated model or the plain edge model. I know for all the things I'm asking of the knife each edge would have it's pros and cons. I just wanted to see what you all thought. I'd like to have just the one knife and not buy a SE and PE model. The extra sharpening that may be required for the PE isn't a problem either. Thanks for all your help!
NoFair

Re: Which salt variation is best for my task?

Post by NoFair »

If you plan to field dress deer etc. I'd go for a plain edge. Serrated doesn't work well with meat imho.
ShawnKirkpatrick

NoFair wrote:If you plan to field dress deer etc. I'd go for a plain edge. Serrated doesn't work well with meat imho.
That's what I thought too. But also knew the SE could do better in some places.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You're gonna compromise somewhere because you're dealing with tasks that are known to excel with one edge or the other. I would hate to try skinning with serrations so plain edge is probably best all around for your needs if one knife is all you're interested in. Of course it's more fun to get one of each ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tangent

Post by tangent »

I only buy serrated salts (H1). There are usually far better choices for plain edge unless you must have total corrosion resistance and live in a salt water environment. I look forward to the Caribbean (LC200N) for this very reason.
ShawnKirkpatrick

So would it be overkill by getting a salt? I don't live near salt water or very rarely go to the beach. I do occasionally go fishing but that's just around fresh water. I thought the salt would be good because if it got bloody processing smalll or large game all I would need was a quick rinse under water to keep on working, same goes for fishing. We all know how dirty knifes can get working outdoors the salt would fit the bill good. I have other spyderco that I suppose could be used for this type of work but would have to be cleaned more thoroughly (paramilitary 2, yojimbo 2, G-10 dragonfly). What would you guys suggest?
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you just want to never worry about rust, there's no reason not to get a Salt. In addition to corrosion resistance H1 is also a seriously tough steel and will take a very very fine edge. The trade off is edge retention is average at best unless you thin the edge way out and leverage edge geometry to your advantage.

In other words, there are better steels for plain edge that are known to be quite rust resistant while holding an edge far better than H1. H1 in serrations is a whole different story.
~David
ShawnKirkpatrick

Re: Evil D

Evil D wrote:If you just want to never worry about rust, there's no reason not to get a Salt. In addition to corrosion resistance H1 is also a seriously tough steel and will take a very very fine edge. The trade off is edge retention is average at best unless you thin the edge way out and leverage edge geometry to your advantage.

In other words, there are better steels for plain edge that are known to be quite rust resistant while holding an edge far better than H1. H1 in serrations is a whole different story.
What would you recommend the applications be for say a SE pacific salt? Like I said I have the others that will fill the roll that any PE will need to be done. I'd lik to have a SE H-1 just to have and try out not just sure if I'll get the full use out of it.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ShawnKirkpatrick wrote:
Evil D wrote:If you just want to never worry about rust, there's no reason not to get a Salt. In addition to corrosion resistance H1 is also a seriously tough steel and will take a very very fine edge. The trade off is edge retention is average at best unless you thin the edge way out and leverage edge geometry to your advantage.

What would you recommend the applications be for say a SE pacific salt? Like I said I have the others that will fill the roll that any PE will need to be done. I'd lik to have a SE H-1 just to have and try out not just sure if I'll get the full use out of it.

You can do just about any task with serrations that you'd do with PE, it's just that some tasks are a lot easier with either one.

Skinning/cleaning animals, I'd never want serrations. But, if I cut a bunch of rope or carpet or things like that then serrations shine. Some things tend to snag with serrations, like cloth, unless you get the material right between the teeth. They'll still cut but they tend to make messier cuts. I've even seen guys use serrations for camping and making feather sticks for making a fire.
~David
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

If you aren't fishing in seawater then a Salt really isn't needed. A Military or PM2 in a stainless steel will work well and rinses out easily after use. Corrosion from blood etc. is only a problem if you leave it there for a long time.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Based on your list of things to do, you need two knives. If you want one knife, again, based on your list, the Pacific Salt is a tad large. It would do the job, but the Salt 1 would be a better choice. If you get the Pacific Salt I would recommend a Ladybug Salt for small animals and such things to go along with it. A plain edge will do better on game animals. A serrated edge will do better on large fish and yard work.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Shawn, get yourself a serrated Pacific Salt. Use it, abuse it and love it! Use a pe knife with better edge retention for jobs like skinning/processing. Just my 2 cents.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'd go PE as mentioned and just make sure you keep a nice edge on it. It will work better and will be safer :).

If cost is not a factor the new SpydieChef would probably do better than a Pac Salt or Salt1. LC200n will hold that PE edge longer.

Or...you could get a leather sheath and a Spyderco kitchen knife like their 4" Paring or 6" utility. Just keep it clean and maybe coated in Froglube or something to keep the rust away. MBS-26 with that geometry is absolutely amazing.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Or get an S110V or even an S35VN. Both are pretty stainless and both hold an edge for a heck of a lot longer than plain edge H1.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Im with Lance, a Pacific salt for a folder and knife to use hard. And cry once buy once with something like the south fork.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Why not just have the best of both Salt Flavored Spyder Worlds??? In other words pick out a model that you really like and if they are available in both edge types ( PE & SE) then just get both of them. H-1 really excels in Spyderedge and the plain edged Salt blades sharpen very easily compared to some of the supersteels. Or you can get two completely different Salt models in two different edge types.

Or you could get a really exotic combination or something like a plain edged Alantic Salt and compliment it with a Spyderedged TASMAN H-1 model. Again you would have a lot of versatility that way. But do let us know what you end up getting and let us know how it worked out for you.
ShawnKirkpatrick

Thanks for all the help guys. I have spent a good amount on knife stuff and knifes this year so the last one of the year will be this one. I have however decided to go with a pacific salt SE. I have plenty of PE knives but no SE. It will be a good switch up and add some variety to the collection. Again thanks for the help.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

ShawnKirkpatrick wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. I have spent a good amount on knife stuff and knifes this year so the last one of the year will be this one. I have however decided to go with a pacific salt SE. I have plenty of PE knives but no SE. It will be a good switch up and add some variety to the collection. Again thanks for the help.
Good choise.SE Pac Salt is awesome.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Great choice. SE Salts are awesome!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The se Pacific Salt is a great all-round user, but as others have said lacks in some areas. If you aren't around saltwater, and you don't already have one, I would consider the S110v Military. Super steel, super stainless, tough, and holds it's edge. Easy to clean and works for almost all cutting tasks. The Aqua Salt is also a great knife if you really want the H-1. Whatever you decide you can't go wrong. All great knives.