To Honor?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Re: To Honor?

Post by xceptnl »

So sorry I've been away from my family here for so long. This "project" sounds like a terrific idea to honor those who help keep the spirit of this place true to your goals. So many deserving candidates already mentioned and I think each of them has put in countless hours here, helping us all learn or keeping us in line. Well done Sal!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I shouldn't let asinine comments from people throwing a turd in the punchbowl bother me. For the most part they don't. But GOOD GRIEF. The world is going freaking INSANE, even invading this safe haven of the internet! (rant off)

Kudos to you Sal for yet another cool idea, and for helping keep the BS factor to a minimum here. :spyder:
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I wonder, if the Deacon helps with the design would he get to put his mark on the blade? That would be pretty special in my opinion. Very interesting thread! Thanks Sal.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

The Mastiff wrote:Ignaz, get stuffed you twit. There is nothing racist there, just factual information. Facts are not racism, just facts. You have no business bringing that here nor do you belong here IMO.

Go troll elsewhere . Grow up while you are there too.

Joe
Starting an statement with an insult and concluding it with telling me to grow up is ironic.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

I apologize for causing disturbance and derail this interesting thread. I didn’t want to start a political discussion but just wanted to inform people about his rather extreme and discriminating political views. In a certain way honoring a person is a statement.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote:Fully agree with Chuck, I'm an old curmudgeon who sometimes wonders if he's done more harm than good here. Besides, I can think of a few people here far more deserving of such an honor than me. JD, for his always upbeat and exuberant promotion of the brand and his tireless defense of serrated edges and hawkbill blades. Wouter, for his fantastic photography and reporting of the A'dam meet. Ted, for being one of the driving forces behind that meet. Joe (The Mastiff), for pushing for steels I'd never buy, but which seem to excite folks and sell well.

That said, if I'm being totally honest, I think the person most deserving of being honored here is none other than TazKristi. :) For over a decade now, she's almost single-handedly kept this place one of the most civil, if not the most civil, venue on the internet.
As the other guy said Paul, bravo!.

I do think we need more bluntness these days instead of the political correctness s**t.

Ignaz wrote:I apologize for causing disturbance and derail this interesting thread. I didn’t want to start a political discussion but just wanted to inform people about his rather extreme and discriminating political views. In a certain way honoring a person is a statement.
Ignaz, I would respectfully(snicker snicker) suggest you shut up.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Great idea, I did not see such an idea coming Sal. For me it emphasizes (again) what a great company Spyderco is. The effort they invest in involving the ELU :rolleyes: the great marketing, the convincing descriptions of the products, colourful brochures, the personal approach, wow. I always tell others the example of Spyderco of a company who knows how to run a business. You got me Sal, love you, despite the fact you cost me serious money :rolleyes:

Was Ankerson mentioned already?
sal

Post by sal »

Ignaz,

We'll accept your apology, but when you are standing in a hole, stop digging.

Your 2nd comment to bring out his "extreme political view" is as bad as the first. Calling him a racist because you don't agree with him assumes that you are on the righteous path. There are many that might disagree with your opinion and agree with his, also thinking that they are on the righteous path. That's why we avoid politics.

sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ignaz wrote:I apologize for causing disturbance and derail this interesting thread. I didn’t want to start a political discussion but just wanted to inform people about his rather extreme and discriminating political views. In a certain way honoring a person is a statement.
Don't you think that you said already too much first time.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote: I do think we need more bluntness these days instead of the political correctness s**t.
Ignaz, I would respectfully(snicker snicker) suggest you shut up.
This is really good advise.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
paladin

Post by paladin »

sal wrote:Ignaz,

We'll accept your apology.... That's why we avoid politics.

sal
Likewise, apology accepted for me.

Let's keep this a safe harbor apart from the political & religious hurricane "out there." :spyder: :)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Deacon is clearly a gent, but one I would have to "agree to differ" in opinion upon, in certain matters that are wholly unrelated to Spyderco. His contribution here is entirely worthy of an honour.
Last edited by ChrisinHove on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

zenheretic wrote:For the love of God, no Boye Dent on the Deacon model!

Since anything is possible in world of ideas, the handles should be modular, with at least 3 different handles materials that can be easily switched out. One would a steel for acid etching, or engraving; one would be a bone; and one would be a paper micarta...
+1
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Pinetreebbs wrote:That is a great idea and "The Deacon" is a great name for a knife. Scale inserts and a wood sided Stretch sound like two important design suggestions. I would defer to a professional for the actual design. A camel is a fine animal, but it is what a horse would be if designed by a committee.
If it wasn't clear, in this post, Paul would be a well deserved honoree.

I do concur with his other suggestions, especially the worlds busiest and most patient cat herder, Taz.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Ignaz, do some research and reading yourself from the Quran, Hadith and Sira.

Yeah, calling you names is wrong. I admit that. Having you acting like a child trying to get someone in trouble because you don't have sufficient depth of knowledge yet maintain strong opinions on these subjects annoys me greatly. Your telling lies about good people just because they have different opinions from yours angers me.You are a narrow minded person who responds incorrectly to other thoughts than your own approved one. I'd enjoy discussing these things further with you if this wasn't exactly the wrong place for it.
Last edited by The Mastiff on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shockwave

Post by Shockwave »

I've only been here a year, but I immediately think some sort of Kiwi.

And as far as the thread drift, I'm on Paul's side.
sal

Post by sal »

SSSssssoooooo Paul,

Assuming this concept can work, and you're the first honoree (victim :p ), perhaps you can help the rest of us design your model?

sal
paladin

Post by paladin »

sal wrote:SSSssssoooooo Paul,

Assuming this concept can work, and you're the first honoree (victim :p ), perhaps you can help the rest of us design your model?

sal
EXCITING!!! :D
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

The Mastiff wrote:Ignaz, do some research and reading yourself from the Quran, Hadith and Sira.

Yeah, calling you names is wrong. I admit that. Having you acting like a child trying to get someone in trouble because you don't have sufficient depth of knowledge yet maintain strong opinions on these subjects annoys me greatly.
I didn’t want to get him in trouble, I wanted people to form their own opinion about his strong opinions which he shares publicly. I think and hope that many people do not support the idea of discriminating against a very big group of people only due to their religious believes. I simply don’t want people to insult, amongst others, people I respect, people they don’t even know. Imagine somebody would say the same things about other religious believes.
The Mastiff wrote:Your telling lies about good people just because they have different opinions from yours angers me.
Paul telling lies about good people just because they have different opinions from his angers me.
The Mastiff wrote:You are a narrow minded person who responds incorrectly to other thoughts than your own approved one. I'd enjoy discussing these things further with you if this wasn't exactly the wrong place for it.
We can discuss this further. Send me a PM if you want. No matter how different our opinions are we can always learn from each other especially if a friendly tone is maintained which I encourage you to do.

If this is problematic please just delete it. Thank you
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

sal wrote:Ignaz,

We'll accept your apology.... That's why we avoid politics.

sal
paladin wrote:Likewise, apology accepted for me.
I appreciate that.
paladin wrote:Let's keep this a safe harbor apart from the political & religious hurricane "out there." :spyder: :)
Sounds good.