To Honor?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
remnar

Re: To Honor?

Post by remnar »

Nice idea Sal. :)

Still waiting to hear from Paul. I'm sure his design will be a beauty. :spyder:
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I like the idea of a JDyad with both PE and SE hawkbills, and micarta scales like his old school favorites.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Cool idea! Hard to say. He likes what he likes... and doesn't like what he doesn't, 'course, we're really all that way. Either a Stretch or Kiwi with wood of Paul's choosing, Damascus of his choosing, bolsters (no screws visible), no clip (or screw holes). Best I can do. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Fully agree with Chuck, I'm an old curmudgeon who sometimes wonders if he's done more harm than good here. Besides, I can think of a few people here far more deserving of such an honor than me. JD, for his always upbeat and exuberant promotion of the brand and his tireless defense of serrated edges and hawkbill blades. Wouter, for his fantastic photography and reporting of the A'dam meet. Ted, for being one of the driving forces behind that meet. Joe (The Mastiff), for pushing for steels I'd never buy, but which seem to excite folks and sell well.

That said, if I'm being totally honest, I think the person most deserving of being honored here is none other than TazKristi. :) For over a decade now, she's almost single-handedly kept this place one of the most civil, if not the most civil, venue on the internet.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The Taz :D
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

The Deacon wrote:Fully agree with Chuck, I'm an old curmudgeon who sometimes wonders if he's done more harm than good here. Besides, I can think of a few people here far more deserving of such an honor than me. JD, for his always upbeat and exuberant promotion of the brand and his tireless defense of serrated edges and hawkbill blades. Wouter, for his fantastic photography and reporting of the A'dam meet. Ted, for being one of the driving forces behind that meet. Joe (The Mastiff), for pushing for steels I'd never buy, but which seem to excite folks and sell well.

That said, if I'm being totally honest, I think the person most deserving of being honored here is none other than TazKristi. :) For over a decade now, she's almost single-handedly kept this place one of the most civil, if not the most civil, venue on the internet.
Bravo Sir.
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

Very intersting idea Sal. There are many good and knowledgeable people here on the forums who deserve being honored. But I don’t think the Deacon would be a good choice. Even though I admire Paul’s knowledge and great taste in knives I would be very uncomfortable with Spyderco honoring him. I have been quite shocked when I read about his „political views“ on his web page. Sal and Spyderco have always impressesd me not only with very high standards regarding design and quality but also in regards of ethics. He is entitled to his own opinion just like everyone else including me: I think what he wrote shows he is racist and very close minded and I feel offended by his statements although I am not a Muslim. I know a lot of Muslims and most of them are educated, civilized and good people overall. They don’t deserve this kind of generalization. Nobody does.
Again, I would be very upset If a person I respect and his company would agree with those statements and views.

Here is something he wrote:
the Deacon wrote: „The events that took place in London on July 7th and July 21st, 2005 provided a catalyst for me to publicly express below the view which I have held privately for many years.
The fact that both these terrorist incidents were the work of a "home grown" Islamic terrorist "sleeper cell" made up of Muslims who had been in Great Britain for years, some since birth, rather than "outsiders", as was the case with the incidents of 9/11/2001, confirms the suspicions of those, like myself, who, even before 9/11 have considered each and every Muslim in the USA a potential danger to our way of life and someone who must be treated with watchful suspicion.

It is only good judgment to always remember that Islam teaches that all non-believers must eventually be converted to Islam, killed, or subjugated and enslaved. We must also not forget that Islam is also the only faith which preaches that lying to non-believers and entering into treaties and alliances with them which you fully intend to break, is acceptable behavior, as long as it somehow furthers the cause of Islam.

For these reasons, no Muslim, regardless of the platitudes they may mouth in public, can be considered as anything but a potential threat, fifth columnist, terrorist, or financial backer of worldwide Islamic terrorism. Even Muslims who may not personally believe all the things that Islam preaches regarding outsiders can be pressured by those who do into contributing funds to al-Qaida or other terrorist groups. Some, when caught, have claimed this as their defense. For that reason, non-Muslims who continue to patronize Muslim owned and operated businesses in their community run the risk of funding terror with every purchase.
There are those who will suggest that such thoughts and actions only serve to increase the number of Muslims who hate us. My response is that the assumption that any specific individual Muslim does not already hate us is more dangerous than their hatred for us itself, as it only creates a false sense of security for us and allows them greater opportunity to inflict damage.“
You can read that and more on his web page.
http://paulberetta.com/index.htm

I know there shouldn’t be any political discussions or statements on the forums but on the other hand Paul provides a link to his web page with his political views in his signature.
I hope I didn’t cause any trouble but this is important to me.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Only out of respect to Sal, Paul and Forum I will just ignore previous post and do not reply.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Back to the topic.

Sal,
Thank you for idea. I am a little bit late for the party and it looks like all Paul's favorite features are covered. I really hope to see this knife became reality. Much more difficult will be to make a knife "Taz" and I already thinking about the knife "Mr Blonde" :)
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
araneae

Post by araneae »

While I wholeheartedly disagree with the political commentary brought up, that's not what we're here for.

This idea as posed by Sal is an interesting one. Paul perhaps has one of the more rigid sets of ideas about knives he will own. As mentioned we know most of his criteria quite well and it would not be too hard to make a knife to fit.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JT

Post by JT »

Wickedly cool idea Sal!

Kopa/Kiwi/Stretch with bolsters and stag... Kokitch? Kikotchi? :D :D

and something for JD too, beefed up Civilian with G10 scales and reinforced tip.. maybe with some new twist with the Reverse-S vs. Hawkbill shape..
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Wow...maybe it's a language barrier but how does anyone's opinion about religious fanaticism equate into being a racist?

Impressive-- you went from zero to Hitler in under 5 seconds.

But your Freudian slip is showing.

It's indicative you have an axe to grind otherwise you wouldn't have politicized the issue in public while in the same breath claiming " there shouldn’t be any political discussions or statements on the forums BUT... <my emphasis>"

Yeah, BUT...BUT you're going to run against the grain of the forum to get your opinion heard, come **** or high water.

Haphazardly throwing around the "racist" label,especially in a public forum, is not cool.

Not cool, at all.

Why didn't you just PM Sal, and Deacon for that matter since it concerns him, if you had qualms about his thread?
Studey

Post by Studey »

Back on point, what a delightful idea Sal!
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

:eek:
When did the world get so sensitive?

Although I haven't been in the inner circle of the forum all these years, and I don't necessarily see eye to eye with everyone, I think your suggestion Sal, is another fine example of what keeps me coming back. Your life philosophy and the way you treat people is rare in American business.

The suggestion alone is a great honor I am sure. What comes from this discussion will be fun to watch. And I will most likely stand in line to buy one.

Thank you Sal and Spyderco.
remnar

Post by remnar »

bh49 wrote:Only out of respect to Sal, Paul and Forum I will just ignore previous post and do not reply.
Ditto!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Ignaz, get stuffed you twit. There is nothing racist there, just factual information. Facts are not racism, just facts. You have no business bringing that here nor do you belong here IMO.

Go troll elsewhere . Grow up while you are there too.

Joe
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

And this my friends, is why politics have been (or should have been) kept out of this forum. Such a positive thread completely derailed by this crap. If we dig deep enough we can probably find traits about every single person here including Sal that we don't agree with. That's called life. We don't always agree with each other.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Typical SJW..... grasp at anything to be offended so you can feel better about your own prejudices. Go far away and troll there... Not here.
sal

Post by sal »

Although I am a political junky that is almost ALWAYS trying to learn more about what makes us and this world tick, (much to Gail's dislike , I intentionally keep it out of our forum. I would appreciate all of you doing the same. Your kind patience and understanding is appreciated

sal
Saxconnection

Post by Saxconnection »

I'm really interested to see where this goes. Will the honor be passed to TazKristi, or remain with TheDeacon? Either way, I think we will end up with something truly special, and I look forward to buying the result of such an outstanding honor.
Adam

Currently looking for...Stretch C90PBLE......PM2 C81CFPE2...Custom Dragonfly Scales...and my holy grail, for now-C10PSGRE-Lost it at a shoot when I had to change out a flat tire. Haven't found a replacement.

Shoot straight, stay sharp!