If you could only choose one... (opinion on handgun carry)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
zenheretic

Re: Evil D

Post by zenheretic »

Evil D wrote:I love Hickock but when it comes to things like recoil I don't fully trust the opinion of anyone who's been shooting for longer than I've been alive because "not very snappy" to him may be complete **** to the next guy. I never hear him complaining about recoil or shock unless he's shooting the 500.
He is a large man with way over average size hands, so your words are wise.
zenheretic

Re: If you could only choose one... (opinion on handgun carry)

Post by zenheretic »

Axlis wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I also like speed strips better than speed loaders. They are way easier to carry.
I have been practicing with speed strips and speedloaders both, and have come to the conclusion that while slightly slower, I'm thinking maybe the speed strips would be better for a "stress" reload.

Don't know if you tried them, but the Safariland speed loaders are better for stress reloading vs. the traditional HKS speed loader. You basically just push them into the cylinder. The HKS takes that little twist dial, which is hard to do with gloves, cold fingers, arthritis, diabetic damage, or high stress.

I like strips and the Safariland speed loaders. The loaders for the above reason, the strips because they are way easier to carry flat on a belt with a little velcro pouch.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

If you're talking about speed for reloading revolvers, I doubt you could go faster than moon clips. They are hard to carry around though.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

zenheretic wrote:
Axlis wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:I also like speed strips better than speed loaders. They are way easier to carry.
I have been practicing with speed strips and speedloaders both, and have come to the conclusion that while slightly slower, I'm thinking maybe the speed strips would be better for a "stress" reload.

Don't know if you tried them, but the Safariland speed loaders are better for stress reloading vs. the traditional HKS speed loader. You basically just push them into the cylinder. The HKS takes that little twist dial, which is hard to do with gloves, cold fingers, arthritis, diabetic damage, or high stress.

I like strips and the Safariland speed loaders. The loaders for the above reason, the strips because they are way easier to carry flat on a belt with a little velcro pouch.
Hey there, Zen, long time no see!

I'll give the safariland a go, I've heard (read, lol) nothing but good things about them. What revolver do you carry?
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Well Snubnose influenced me back in the day so I got a couple of Ruger Sp101. However I also a little Smith a Wesson (forget the model but it is lightweight and hammerless) that I have once in awhile.

To be honest mostly I carry a Glock 30 or the subcompact 40 cal. I'm going in the opposite direction as the current trend, which is a single stack micro pistol. I'm of the opinion that more bullets is better (just like they used to think in the late 80s) It doesn't matter how great my shots are versus a paper target. Paper targets don't shoot back. I figure just having to draw a firearm in a will make me poo my pants so I need extra bullets. The most stress I usually suffer in a day is fighting a computer printer...

Great to see another of the old guard.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zenheretic wrote:Well Snubnose influenced me back in the day so I got a couple of Ruger Sp101. However I also a little Smith a Wesson (forget the model but it is lightweight and hammerless) that I have once in awhile.

To be honest mostly I carry a Glock 30 or the subcompact 40 cal. I'm going in the opposite direction as the current trend, which is a single stack micro pistol. I'm of the opinion that more bullets is better (just like they used to think in the late 80s) It doesn't matter how great my shots are versus a paper target. Paper targets don't shoot back. I figure just having to draw a firearm in a will make me poo my pants so I need extra bullets. The most stress I usually suffer in a day is fighting a computer printer...

Great to see another of the old guard.
Same here. I compared the Shield I was carrying to a G19 and saw that with the extended mag I carried on the Shield, the grips were exactly the same length and the barrel length is less than in inch. That only left I think around 1/8 inch extra thickness and a few oz more weight with the G19. It just didn't make sense to me to carry a gun that was so close to being the same size but carries half as many rounds. It's a little more work to conceal and a little more weight on my hip but totally worth it to me. I now have as many rounds loaded into the gun as I used to carry with a second mag and I won't have to reload to use them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TALON52

Post by TALON52 »

I made this "taco style" Kydex holster for my S&W Shield, and it works for me.

USMC Disabled Veteran 69/73 Semper Fi