What is a "Spyder drop" ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
loki88

What is a "Spyder drop" ?

Post by loki88 »

Can anyone explain me what a Spyder drop is and how it works? Thx :)
RLR

Post by RLR »

Pinch Spyderhole between thumb and finger, flick and let the weight of the handle open the knife (handle "drops" toward floor).
loki88

Post by loki88 »

ah ok, tried it a few times but don't feel there are very much benefits from this type of opening over the "traditional" kind with the thumb. I might be able to open it faster, but i loose time gripping the knife.

Thanks for the explanation :)
jestyr

Post by jestyr »

the spyderdrop works well with knives that are carried tip down. you can just grab the hole in your pocket and flick it open.
haji

Post by haji »

back in the day, Spyderco used to show this as the way to open them, with a section of the catalog devoted to it. Most people seem to have transitioned to thumb opening them instead, but the method is still valid.
Its all fun and games til somebody loses an eye, then its fun and games you can't see.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Does it work with every model because my Endura seems to open only 3/4 of the way no matter what I try.
-Dean
Blackwatch

Post by Blackwatch »

I think it works better with the non-FRN models, like Stainless Steel, G10 with liners, etc. They have extra weight which helps it out. I maybe wrong, but it seem like just a physics thing.
jaids

Post by jaids »

It works with my jester, though i have lubed it.
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

It also works better with linerlocks than lockbacks. The friction of the backspring makes it harder with lockbacks, but it can be done. I can even do it with an FRN Ladybug with enough snap of the wrist.
DAYWALKER

my version...

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Loki!

Here's "my" version using an Endura.

I move the clip to be carried for a lefty, but place the knife in my RIGHT pocket.

Draw the knife in the reverse grip, and flick downward. Endura now open in reverse grip, edge out fashion.

Weird...I always called this the "Spyder Drop". :p I usually do this method of opening with my left hand...

God bless!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
dialex

Post by dialex »

jaids wrote:It works with my jester, though i have lubed it.
Get outta here! :confused: Is it a keychain or something heavier attached to it?
spydieman

Post by spydieman »

I have attempted to draw my Paramilitary by the spyder hole to do a Spyder Drop open but the blade opens in my pocket, so I didn't get very far with it.

Mark
Mark.

'Just one of God's Critters.' :)