Favourite 5 movies

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
demoncase

Favourite 5 movies

Post by demoncase »

Probably been done before- But tahellwi'it:

What are your top five favourite movies?- And why:....GO!
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I love movies so that's a tough question. Off the top of my head though I'd have to say, in no particular order:

The Count of Monte Cristo (the 2002 remake)
O Brother Where Art Thou
The Shawshank Redemption
There Will Be Blood
Gangs of New York
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Holland

Re: Favourite 5 movies

Post by Holland »

Django
Inglorious bast4rds
The wolf of wallstreet
The big short
Role models
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
remnar

Post by remnar »

I don't know if I have a top five but here are some of my favorites:

Excalibur (1981)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Stripes
High Plains Drifter
The Princess Bride
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

As an avid movie fan, it's hard to cut it down to a top 5, but I'll try anyway:

Seven Samurai - Featuring one of the many teamings of director Akira Kurosawa with actor Toshiro Mifune, the movie is about a poor village that convinces a group of samurai to protect the village and what little they have from a group of bandits. Beautifully shot in black and white, this epic movie features a giant but realistically grounded battle that doesn't glorify war and death and doesn't shy away from showing the personal losses that accompany the fight.

If you like this Kurosawa/Mifune pairing, I also suggest: Throne of Blood, Red Beard, Yojimbo, Rashomon, and High and Low.

Princess Mononoke - A beautifully animated film from Hayao Miyazaki (the "Walt Disney" of Japan), it follows a prince who is infected with a dark curse. As he journeys, he encounters a warrior princess who fights to preserve the land and animals from destruction from a nearby factory. Part cautionary tale, part adventure, this movie warns of the dangers of not striving to maintain a balance between nature and the onward march of technology.

If you enjoy this Miyazaki film, check out: My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle.

The Fountain - A man travels through many lifetimes trying to search for the Fountain of Youth, and these journeys teach him that immortality doesn't bring joy. This is a mind bender of a film, one that took me multiple viewings to fully appreciate. It is a science fiction movie that doesn't necessarily rely on visual effects to tell a compelling story.

If you like mind-bending movies that benefit from multiple viewings, I also suggest: Inception, Primer, and The Prestige.

Her - A near-future look at the state of technology and relationships, this movie shows how technology can both separate us from the people around us as well as fill the social and emotional void that it creates. A movie more about people than the events going on around them, this is a movie that probes loneliness and the risks of using technology to fix it.

If you like movies that explore the human condition, I also recommend: American Beauty, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, There Will Be Blood, Bicycle Thieves, and Amelie.

Pan's Labyrinth - A mixture of dark drama and fantasy, this movie explores the fantastic while also tackling more serious subject matters. The color palette of golds and blues is beautiful and Guillermo del Toro's attention to art design is impeccable. Some great creature design tops off this excellent movie.

If you're looking for more movies with fantasy elements, I'd suggest watching: The Princess Bride, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Edward Scissorhands.

Here are some runner-ups (or movies that on a different day I might have just as easily placed in as one of the top 5):

Documentary
The Cove
Lost in La Mancha
New York Doll
Marwencol
BBC Life
BBC Planet Earth
Grizzly Man
Baraka
Exit Through the Giftshop
Inside Job

Drama
Road to Perdition
No Country for Old Men
The Green Mile
The Usual Suspects
The Sixth Sense
12 Angry Men
Moulin Rouge!
Casablanca
Slumdog Millionaire
The Night of the Hunter
Touch of Evil
The Godfather
12 Years a Slave
Amadeus
Lawrence of Arabia
Citizen Kane
Million Dollar Baby

War
Apocalypse Now
Patton
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Letters from Iwo Jima
Grave of the Fireflies
Das Boot

Scifi and Fantasy
The Matrix
The Star Wars Trilogy: Episodes IV-VI
Unbreakable
Brazil
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Pi
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Alien
2001: A Space Odyssey
Children of Men

Comedy
Buster Keaton's The General
Napoleon Dynamite
Ed Wood
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Animated
The Iron Giant
Beauty and the Beast
Toy Story 3
The Lion King
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Wall-e
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Monsters Inc.

Foreign
Life is Beautiful
Ikiru
The Lives of Others
M
Au Revoir Les Infantes
The Motorcycle Diaries
A Separation
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I can never remember off hand, so thanks Jabba for the list.

Here's a few I'd put high on my list. Way too many good ones to even remember.

Casablanca
All That Jazz
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The Usual Suspects
Saving Private Ryan
The Matrix
StarWars

https://youtu.be/VO0x7vL2T90
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There are dozens I've watched dozens of times, but these stand out...

Commando - a near constant stream of mindless violence, punctuated by Arnie's particular brand of humor.
Demolition Man - gun control and "social engineering" taken to their logical conclusions, with both Stallone and Sandra Bullock at their best.
The Silence of the Lambs - great story, great characters, great acting by Foster and Hopkins, best of the "Hannibal" franchise.
Fargo - having worked in the correctional system, I find it a macabre, funny, and way too true look at criminal minds.
12 Monkeys - to me, it's the most believable time travel movie ever.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Good to see so many fellow movie buffs: It's a tough question that's why I asked it :D
jabba359 wrote:SNIP!
I too have a sort of 'rotating top 5' that varies (a little) as the years go on and mood takes me.....I'd also point out that these are equal 'first' in my book.

Heat
The story couldn't be simpler- it's cops and robbers: a heist movie
But what marks it out is the realism, the grittiness of the way it's filmed and visceral shoot outs that have still to be bettered on screen
Then (after the many, many times I've watched it) you realise that DeNiro and Pacino are not at all different- either of them could do the others 'job' with barely a change of step- and the only person in the whole world who actually understand them is the one they have set out to destroy
You could argue it's over long- but it's the close-in portrayal of these two apex predators stalking around their chosen ground that makes endlessly watchable.
See also: Collateral by the same director and The Town- more heist and grittiness
(Note: Mrs Demoncase can tell I'm ill if I've stuck Heat on the DVD player while nesting under a blanket with a bowl of mulligatawny soup :) )

Unforgiven
Clint Eastwood directs and stars in a utterly stark deconstruction of the cowboy movie genre....
It point-by-point takes each of the cowboy movie staples (The gunslinger comes to town, the vengence ride, being quick on the draw and so on) hangs a nose around their neck and coldly kicks the stool out from under their feet.
1.To put it into context: watch any The Good, The Bad & The Ugly- another of my favourites
2. As a companion piece: watch Pale Rider.

Aliens
I love Alien- but Aliens has a massive place in my heart. It's got everything- horror, action, sci-fi cool, twist and turns- even 3 dimensional characters.
It's a breathless roller-coaster ride- and the touchstone for sci-fi movies at Casa Demoncase
Growing up with Star Trek's anti-septic take on space travel, the grubby and battered kit of the Aliens universe seemed more 'real'.
And who doesn't think the Colonial Marines are the coolest looking space marines to ever grace the screen?
(The guys who wrote the Halo series of games definitely did!)

The Departed
Again, packed with tour-de-force performances for everyone involved.
A tale of informers and moles, organised crime- cops and robbers.
No-one is quite what the seem and it piles twist on twist.
I could watch this every week.

The Dark Knight
Heath Ledger's performance make this movie superb....The Joker is a true sociopath and in this take on Batman's world he finally shines.
Now.....Who wants me to make the pencil disappear?
Brilliant set pieces- superb dialogue.
While I love the Marvel movies, this is a stand out.

Zulu
About the events at Rorke's Drift.
A classic about the utter futility of war and heroism needed.
Very, very British- very old fashioned but superb for all of that.
"PREEEE-SENT!....FIRST RANK......FIRE!.....SECOND RANK......FIRE!..." :)

BONUS: Platoon
Superb movie about the futility of war- My favourite Vietnam movie and got me into Vietnam re-enactment
See also We Were Soldiers Once and Full Metal Jacket

Honorable Mentions
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
The opposite end of the scale from any James Bond movie, but a far more realistic and tense tale that oozes Cold War paranoia. A proper spy movie
Saving Private Ryan
Obvious really
A Bridge Too Far
A movie about a massive failure- I watch it with the wife and she shouts at the TV every time someone in command makes yet-another-stupid choice that dooms men when they deployed
Equilibrium
It's a cartoon of a movie- a dystopian future.Two words: Gun kata! :D
The Godfather
Expansive, classic, epic. What's not to love?
Serenity
Firefly universe swansong.
The Wild Bunch
Ultra violent western that is a slow spiral of death and dissolution- and all the more horrifying that Pike and gang can't see it.
The Matrix
A genre defining movie- borrowed in part or whole by so many other movies since- but the long sections outside of the eponymous simulation drag....and less said about the sequels the better (Related: I paid £4 for a second hand DVD of The Matrix- the second movie cost £0.75.The Third was £0.25
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Departures
Kill Bill (1&2)
Snow Walker
Silence of the Lambs
We Were Soldiers
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I like many more than five, of course, but have no organized list of all my faves. So, off the top of my head, today, here are five I'll stop everything to watch:

It's A Gift (1934)
Playtime (1967)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
Platoon (1986)
Major League (1989)

Except for Platoon, all are wonderfully funny to me. Platoon will always rate high for me because it gave me something to point to when trying to convey my experiences in Vietnam to family and friends.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

In no particular order:
Saving private Ryan
The fifth element
The Green Mile
Battleship
Forest Gump
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Arsenic & Old Lace
Harvey
The Incredible Mr. LImpet
The Abyss
What Dreams May Come
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

In no particular order...

Star Wars... I like science fiction movies and this is one of the best. I like all episodes, but for me, "Episode IV: A New Hope," is my favorite.

In Harms Way... Outstanding World War II Navy movie with John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, and Patricia Neal. I really like John Wayne, and there are valuable lessons learned from this movie.

The Hunt for Red October... Again, I enjoy Navy movies and this is a classic. Lots of thrills and suspense along with some humor to break up the drama from time to time. Sean Connery is cool, as is Scott Glenn.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb... Such a cool, Cold War comedy. Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, and Slim Pickens were brilliant in this movie. This movie is a more comical version of Fail Safe (1964), which also is an outstanding movie.

Silverado... A great movie based on what many of us grew up with as the traditional cowboy western. The cast of Kevin Costner, Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, and Danny Glover was most brilliant. Great to have the traditional cowboy action, the traditional bad guy versus good guy face-to-face shootout on the street, and the sound of the brass casings being ejected from the Henry repeating rifles was crisp and clear.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Dr. Strangelove

No country for old men

Ichi the killer ( warning, gory/shock/ugly stuff!)

Once upon a time in America

Freeway (1996)

None of them I hold in particularly high regard except for Dr. Strangelove. In fact I can't say I really have favorites. These are some I find amusing depending on my mood.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Forbidden Planet
The Thing From Another World
Rio Grande
Big Jake
The Shootist
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
Star Wars (original)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

1. Shawshank Redemption
2. Apocalypto
3. Dances with Wolves
4. The King and I
5. Godfather
6. Goodfellas
Doc:)
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I have a hard time keeping track of all of my favorite movies, but in no particular order, here are a few I like:

• Sicario - I love the suspense in this movie. Denis Villeneuve did an amazing job as the director in this one.
• Birdman - I really enjoyed the way the movie was supposed to appear as one single shot.
• No Country for Old Men - Just a cool story
• The Place Beyond the Pines - You think Ryan Gosling is the main character in this one. Think again.
• First Club - This one came out when I was a teenager and defying the man is the thing to do when you're that age.

What I really enjoy is a good TV Show though.

• The Sopranos - I grew up in Jersey and though I didn't know anyone in the mob (that I know of...haha) the characters remind me a lot of the people I grew up with and seeing some of those old towns brings back memories.
• Lost - Ok, the ending sucked, but I really enjoyed the mystery of the show and all of the easter eggs that were placed in episodes.
• The Wire - Does storytelling really get any better than this? David Simon knows how to really tell a story.
• Westworld - I've really been enjoying this one so far. Only time will tell.
• True Detective Season 1 - The first season was true perfection. Let's not even talk about season 2, ok?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Great topic! I truly love movies. I scrolled quickly past your responses so I didn't get any tainting of what was in my head. 5 is so few, it definitely comes down to how I'm feeling at the moment. I think I could get a solid (relatively) unchanging top 10, but the top 5 will rotate a bit more depending on my mood. Here goes:

Goodfellas: I have what some call a photographic memory, which people tend to make into some kind of superpower, but really, I just remember things visually. So when it comes to movies, I can pretty much watch them in my head if it was memorable and I've seen it more than once. So I'll often feel like I want to watch a movie, but then think about it for a bit, and I kind of hit all the high points in my brain and don't feel like watching it anymore. The reason I get into all of this is: this NEVER happens with Goodfellas. A truly balanced film, every character is both endearing and abhorrent in their own way. They successfully capture so many eras via dress, hairstyle, and music, but it's done so seamlessly and subtly that it isn't in your face. One of the best long takes in all of cinema (entering the club).

Blade Runner: The un-voice-overed version can be viewed several different ways, and you can take something from the movie whether or not you think Deckard is a replicant. The world is dystopian, and yet somehow inviting, like you want to jump in there and visit. The use of light and shadow is absolutely phenomenal in this movie, maybe the best ever. Example: one of the best character introductions in film, when Rachel walks through that shadow, it gives me chills every time. In fact, it's also the reflection of light that hints at whether or not a person is a replicant. It's also well to remember that all of the special effects were done with unbelievably painstaking means (miniature/matte painting).

Heat: If you're a fan a books, sometimes you'll finish a book and just sit there and reflect on what you've just read, and almost be sad that it's over. This movie has that effect on me; I almost always let the credits roll until the end. On the face, this is a "cops and robbers" movie, but it's actually more about masculinity, and how the need to relentlessly chase your true purpose can alienate you from loved ones and even society at large. Mann's direction manages to make some of the most populous places feel lonely, and both Pacino and De Niro offer rare performances. The true climax of this movie is not the action-packed shootout, or even the final showdown between "good and evil." The true climax is where good and evil meet over coffee, admit that they're destined to struggle against one another, and that the struggle itself is more important than the outcome. They even allow themselves a moment, although brief (and is entirely unspoken, just two facial expressions), where they feel a sense of camaraderie in spite of themselves, realizing that their dedication to the struggle unites them.

The Shawshank Redemption: I'm obsessed with people's response to stress/adversity, and how their worldview allows them to envision their own success or failure (which is often self fulfilling). This is a great study in mental fortitude, and how a man is able to shape his reality despite seemingly insurmountable odds. I kind of see this one as a metaphor for life itself; we all have life sentences and are often at the mercy of the will of others, and experience seemingly absurd and unfair obstacles placed in our way by a cruel and vengeful "god." Robbins does a masterful job, casting him was inspired, and allows the focus on his internal/mental strength, as opposed to the ubiquitous "jacked" (outward strength) protagonist.

Tombstone: It's pretty shocking to admit that that 2 of my 5 favorite movies contain Val Kilmer, and this one even relies heavily on his performance. Some all-time classic lines in this one, and the western motif is nostalgically idealized without being costumy. It's interesting to note that the lines between good and evil are probably the most starkly drawn and straightforward here than in any of the other movies on my list, when in real life that's actually something of a debate (whether the Earp's were actually the ones in the wrong). If you want to wear a mustache, and you're not aspiring to one seen in this movie, you're doing it wrong.

Honorable mentions:
Last of the Mohicans
Gangs of New York
Apollo 13 (really waffled between these first 3 honorable mentions and Tombstone/Shawshank, Heat/BR/Goodfellas are unassailable)
Die Hard (hey this is "favorite" not "best")
Indiana Jones, Last Crusade
A League of Their Own
Hoosiers
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Kill Bill vol II

Some reflections on my list:
Decidedly masculine, often dealing with the tension between what one needs to do versus what's comfortable. Sorry I'm not sorry.
No comedies. I do enjoy them, I guess they're just not deeply satisfying.
2 Kilmer movies, as mentioned.
2 movies with voice overs, 3 if you count the original cut of Blade Runner (which I don't hate, but do think is inferior, especially because of that final scene designed to make you think everything will work out).
No DiCaprio, no Day Lewis, no Hanks, although all 3 make the honorable mention.
You can probably tell, within about 3 years, when I was born based on this list.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

So many great films already mentioned!

Blade Runner is #1 for me... this one has it all, can't even begin to sum it up.

A few to add:

Ghost in the Shell. again, like Blade Runner, it has so much going on and such amazing visuals and soundtrack...

Yojimbo. Period, action, humor, Mifune. I rest my case!

Sorceror (and the original Wages of Fear). Intense and beautifully filmed.

Brazil. Bob Hoskins as a mean spirited government HVAC technician?!? what more can you ask for?

so many more I could add, makes me want to do some binge watching...which I could, since I'm off work for a few more days, recovering from having my gall bladder out :D
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

My taste in movies can be quirky. I don't like drama just for drama's sake, it's too much of a beating. I could pick a lot, and there are so many interesting movies that I probably can't remember right now. And in no particular order... (ok, so pick 5 of these that you like)

Terminator 2
Patton
The Quick and the Dead
Desperado
The Great Escape
Goldfinger
Jesus Christ Supestar
Aliens
Groundhog Day