military spare parts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
polyhexamethyl

military spare parts

Post by polyhexamethyl »

hey Guys,

I now own 3 Military Models including the great new S110V Millie
Unfortunately i broke the Tip off my C36GCMOBK a couple of months back. some maybe already saw the modded version i posted in the Mods section - my "sub military" fortunately the threads of the backspacer are really worn out and one is completely stripped already.
I sent Spyderco a mail explaining my Problem and as predicted it's not possible to send me a backspacer -i don't blame them in times of all these fakes on the Web - I live in Europe and shipping the Knife to the States is just no option since shipping to the US and back to Austria is according to my postal service at least USD 70,- so i'll rather buy a new Dragonfly adding a small amount of money instead.

I also checked for Spare parts at USAKnifemaker and found 0.165 2-56 threaded standoffs for about 1.30 each - very good proceeding to checkout - add USD 42,50 for shipping - also not an option!

i thought about drilling the hole to 2.5mm and cut a M3 Thread, but the backspacer and scales get really thin if i would do that

now my Question: is there a shop that ships cheaper or maybe from somebody in Europe a solution for my problem - maybe somebody replaced the Hardware with available metric screws and standoffs?

your ideas are very welcome and greatly appreciated.

kind Regards from Austria!

-Julian
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Is there an eBay type site locally you can buy from that might be cheaper shipping wise? Maybe you can find a broken or abused Military for cheap that you can use for parts.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Igi964

Re: military spare parts

Post by Igi964 »

Maybe I can help. Send you an email
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

Hi David, thank you for the reply!

the main problem is that we've the metric system so local available hardware won't fit the imperial screws or pillars.
also used/ even hard used militarys go in austria/germany via ebay close to a USD 100,- and the possibility to buy a fake is omnipresent.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Why don't you contact Cuscadi and buy a new back spacer. Maybe they'll also supply the screws
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

hi jon,

according to the cuscadi website, the only provide a backspacer for the Para2 - but Igi964 helps me out with a spare Backspacer he doesn't need anymore.
greatly appreciated!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Julian:

For specialty screws, one of my go-to sources is Fastenal. According to their web site, they have representation throughout Europe: https://www.fastenal.com/products?term= ... earchMode=.

I have gotten metric screws from them in the U.S. many times, so hopefully getting English screws on your end will be equally successful.

Good luck!

Stay safe,

Mike
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

hi mike,

thank you for the suggestion!
I'll give them a call!

kind regards,

julian