They Got It Right The First Time IMO

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

They Got It Right The First Time IMO

Post by JD Spydo »

Now I know that many of you all here at Spyderville are newcomers or some of you have only been here for less that 5 years or so. With that being said many of you might have to do some web-surfing and homework in your Spyder-History class. Many of you long term guys know that I'm a big fan of several of the old school Spyders ( 2005 and before) and that I still use and constantly seek after many of those great old school models. The reason being is that on several of those great models I truly deep in my heart feel like >> THEY GOT IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME<<.

There are some models that immediately come to mind when I make that statement. Probably the first one on the list would be the TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade model ( PE & SE renditions). I still revere that model as being one of their all time best ever in the fixed blade sector. Second a folder that I still feel can't be improved on was the JD Smith model. The handle and blade design on the JD Smith model were near perfect from day one in my opinion.

Look at the C-36 Military model for instance>> very few significant changes have taken place with it over the years and it's more or less even become a poster boy for introducing some of the newer/better blade steels. The Dodo model was near ergonomic perfection the first go around IMO. Those are just a few that I feel like >> THEY GOT IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

So what older (2005 & before) models do you all feel like Spyderco got it right the first go around. To the point to where you all think that little or nothing could be done to improve upon those particular old school Spyders?
jdw

Re: They Got It Right The First Time IMO

Post by jdw »

I think the Cricket could be added to the list. There are a lot of different versions
out there but the design is solid. It's a handy little knife in both PE and SE although
I prefer the SE versions.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jdw wrote:I think the Cricket could be added to the list. There are a lot of different versions
out there but the design is solid. It's a handy little knife in both PE and SE although
I prefer the SE versions.
That's a great example of what I'm talking about>> the Cricket model is truly a time tested folder in several ways. For it's size ( or lack thereof) it is a very versatile little cutting machine especially in Spyderedge. The Cricket is another one of Spyderco's iconic models that just won't go away and it's popularity won't decline at all which amazes me for as small of a folder as it is. Many people out there view the Cricket as some sort of a novelty type knife. But that's not the case at all. It's just like the Dodo model you absolutely must use the Cricket model to believe it.

Speaking of Reverse S style blades you could also add the Matriarch to that list as well. I know of many people that also believe that they got that model right from the start as well.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can't beat the FRN Cricket in my mind.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Can't beat the FRN Cricket in my mind.
That's a great example of what I'm talking about Spydergirl ;) >> But I will go one further than that>> my all time favorite Cricket model is my ATS-55, Carbon Fiber handled unit. There is something about a Carbon Fiber Cricket that I just absolutely adore. And with me being a big fanatic on G-10 handles the Cricket is one model that really stands out with a CF handle.

But you're spot on because a very good friend of mine here locally where I live has carried both the FRN and stainless handled Cricket models for over 10 years now and I don't look to see him change anytime soon. Good one!! Spydergirl for sure :cool:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm not saying I don't like the Manix 2 but I sure do miss the original lockback Manix and wish it would have lived long enough to get a few sprint runs of steels like 3V, Cruwear, 4V, etc.

The Chinook too. I had every version and eventually got rid of them . At the time it was mostly S30V overload. IMO, it's not the first choice for really heavy duty knives though it does pretty darn well for a stainless.

They would likely be pretty expensive but I'd do it for a sprint as long as it wasn't above the $220 or thereabouts cap I have set for myself.

Joe
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I can't believe the Delica hasn't been mentioned yet?!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

One word: Micarta :(

Examples: Persians, Jess Horns, JD Smith, Calypso and Jr. --- so much better in their Micarta incarnations than subsequent G10 or FRN models.

Another model series they got so very right: the Kopas. Clip preferences aside, to me they approach the pinnacle of Spyderco's talents in their 20th century Japanese factories in Seki. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

For me it is only Persian. I love original much more than any sequels :(
With all my love to Kopas, I would love to see Kopa2 with 2 mm stock blade, no clip and no dent. Bolsters and countered scales are the must.
I love Caly3/3.5 much more than I like Calypsos. IMHO Native5 is much better than any previous Natives. I love Shabaria sprint much more than original. CF Dodo beats Black and Blue. Latest sprint Worker is also better than original and commemorative. Lava sprint is better than SS variant. T2 is better for me than T (sorry Joe). And so on.......
Still huge thanks for all originals. Without them we wouldn't have all upgrades.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Just because someone's gonna say it (and it's true)...the Sharpmaker. It kind of precedes every model and its part of the slogan.

And I have to say, there's a whole lot of right in a bunch of '2's too. ;) :spyder:
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Old school stainless steel Police.Most iconic Spyderco IMO.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Larry_Mott wrote:I can't believe the Delica hasn't been mentioned yet?!
You don't think the Delica should have changed? I started off with a 2 which I have since lost, but I think the 4 is a clear improvement. Now the Delica platform in general is definitely timeless and while they may still find an angle here or there to tweak, it really can't be truly improved upon!

Now more in the true spirit of this thread is my take on the Native 1. Why Spyderco? Why'd you kill it?? That handle, with its smooth and rounded edges, its not overly aggressive texturing, its gentle contouring at the index finger...that handle was exactly the embodiment of the theory behind the Native. It felt like it was meant for my hand. It was clearly a production decision to change that handle, and it'll forever be a point of contention for me. The blade grind, fine, I get it, FFG cuts better and I'd let that one go even though I never wanted for it on this knife. But you killed that handle. That elegant, euphoric handle. You know, sometimes I feel like I don't even know you!

Oh, and yeah, it remains the only knife to ever cut me with its jimping. That stuff was a little rough...but still! HMPH! :mad:
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is not old, but I think they got the Manbug right the first time. I loe that grey G10 and bolsters. I love the very useful blade. I love the ergos and everything about that knife. I am really saddened that they have discontinued the knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The early rescue knives got the basics right from the start, IMO.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Delica and Endura. Especially the Endura.
I have a few Endura's 3 and 1 Endura 1. And that Endura 1 (AUS8 full SE) is far on top in terms of ergo's and blade shape.
The Endura4 platform never grew on me. I tried, but got rid of both of them.

Native didn't do it for me either. Maybe the new ones are better, but way out of my league now :(

And my very favourite is the G10 Standard. That little knife even beats the Gen1 Delica's.
Too bad my Standard has major vertical play otherwise It might just be my only Spyderco (with a few back ups of course :o )

The rest of the models I can't tell because I haven't bought an "improved" version of a old school model since 2010.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I'll preface this by saying "Everytime I think a Spydie is perfect, Sal and co go and do some CQI and it ends up even more perfect than I could have imagined before." ;)

But- which are my RFTs?
-All stainless Police with the serrated edge. Just feels good in the hand
-All stainless Harpy- some folks get upstage about the tip-down only clip on it.
-Military G10. Still good after all these years
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Original big Manix was great. Ergonomy with the smooth liners was top. No knife fits my hand better. But and there is a big "but". Back lock on it was horrible. Hard do unlock and there was a play against lock when I cut some wood. It was on the heavy side too.
And there comes the legendary CQI and second generation Manix ( regular and XL ) is so much better with the CBBL, skeletonized liners and steel options. Only if they get rid of the handle jimping. Its not so bad, I can live with it, but would like the Manix 2 with smooth liners even more. Nobody's perfect. Still love my blurple M2:)
harronek

Post by harronek »

The GB1

When the GB2 was created Spyderco compromised the knife that was designed without compromise .

Ken
paladin

Post by paladin »

Calypso Jr. ... could use some strategically placed jimping, though.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Off the top of my head I'd say the Police, the Military (though I definitely favor the more recent version it is mostly unchanged), the original Gayle Bradley, and the original Native LW.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David