Spydiechef dropping

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

Re: Spydiechef dropping

Post by mb1 »

Looks like a sweet knife. Seems like you would get a little more utility, for both EDC and food prep, with a little less meat at the tip. I guess it's santoku-ish by design though.

I finally got to handle the Slyz the other day. I wish the hole was less obscured on that one. It was by far the smallest spydie hole design I've handled and felt awkward just getting my thumb in that tight space. But holy smokes what a smooth knife. If this is anything like that it has to be nice.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

mb1 wrote: I wish the hole was less obscured on that one.

I feel the exact same way. But I'll adapt for the rest of the design.
Really wish it wasn't obscured so much.

And probably not the smallest Spydiehole. From my experience that would have to go to the Worker or Lil Matriarch (aside from trademark holes on flippers).
Going back to Caly.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

SMKW
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

mb1 wrote:Looks like a sweet knife. Seems like you would get a little more utility, for both EDC and food prep, with a little less meat at the tip. I guess it's santoku-ish by design though.
I've decided to buy one and regrind the blade for use on my kayak as a fishing knife. I'll post up pics in a few weeks when it arrives and I have time to grind it.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

how does lc200n plain edge compare to vg10 in terms of edge retention and ease in sharpening?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Surfingringo wrote:
mb1 wrote:Looks like a sweet knife. Seems like you would get a little more utility, for both EDC and food prep, with a little less meat at the tip. I guess it's santoku-ish by design though.
I've decided to buy one and regrind the blade for use on my kayak as a fishing knife. I'll post up pics in a few weeks when it arrives and I have time to grind it.
It'll be cool to see what you come up with. What makes you want to mod this for your fish slaying? Is it the steel or something about the design? I would think that blade angle might be awkward on the kayak.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

mb1 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
It'll be cool to see what you come up with. What makes you want to mod this for your fish slaying? Is it the steel or something about the design? I would think that blade angle might be awkward on the kayak.
Mainly because it should be fully stainless with lc200n and ti. I need a pe folder sometimes on the kayak and this steel performs a lot better than pe H1. Blade angle isn't perfect but it will work fine.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

npad69 wrote:how does lc200n plain edge compare to vg10 in terms of edge retention and ease in sharpening?
Composition wise it is very similar to like AEB-L, 14C28n, ect. So I would expect similar edge retention.

Mine sharpened up to a razors edge easily, reminded me of like N690co on the stones.
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Surfingringo wrote:
I'm thinking this one will be slippery as h#ll when wet and covered with fish guts and blood with those Ti scales. I plan on getting a Spydie Chef but do not believe it will be a good boat knife without some scale changes.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bugs wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
I'm thinking this one will be slippery as h#ll when wet and covered with fish guts and blood with those Ti scales. I plan on getting a Spydie Chef but do not believe it will be a good boat knife without some scale changes.
You may be right, I'm gonna give it a go so we'll see. I used to play around at the cleaning table with my ti millie and never remember the ti feeling excessively slippery when bloody.
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Lance let me know what you think about this one for use on the water. It's on my buy list for sure but I have a couple of reservations regarding using it on the water. One of which already mentioned is the grip. The other is how those phosphor bronze washers hold up in the salt. The Pac Salt has turned out to be a great beater knife on the water. I just slosh it around in the drink to get blood and guts off of it and rinse it off at home. I believe one would be hard pressed to destroy the Pac Salt with normal use on the ocean. Right now I look forward to the Spydie Chef for food prep but if you give it a thumbs up for salt use that may change quickly.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Already one for sale on the exchange for $175. Interesting.