Purchasing a fake PM2 for research purposes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cogito

Purchasing a fake PM2 for research purposes

Post by Cogito »

I would really like to learn how to disassemble certain Spydercos, but I don't want to practice on the ones that I carry. I think a fake one would come in handy for this.

I'm afraid that I will not be able to put my real ones back together after disassembly, and I also do not want to void my warranty. Has anybody else done this? Thanks for your input.
Last edited by Cogito on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Re: Purchasing a fake PM2 for research purposes

Post by SG89 »

If you want to learn how to void your warranty taking Spydies apart there are 100s of helpful YouTube videos. Don't buy some nasty counterfeit to practice on.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This is some seriously flawed logic. I hope you don't proceed.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Flawed how? Why would I want to practice the complete dissassembly of a $130 pm2 when I can do so on a $15 knock off? Makes sense to me.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

Cogito wrote:Flawed how? Elaborate.
Because you are supporting a theif. And I can tell you from having disassembled my Spydies, they aren't fragile, and it's nothing to be scared of. Just don't over tighten anything, and get a good Torx bit set. Like some Wihas.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Spyderco has made it clear that they know exactly who is counterfeiting and selling their products via eBay. However, they have advised us in the sub forum that they allow the activity to go on for certain reasons beyond our understanding. So if they are going to allow fakes to exist, that's none of my business--but don't get mad if I utilize one of those fakes to further my understanding of legit Spydercos.
Last edited by Cogito on Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yes seem pretty set on this idea so why seek out other's opinions?
Spydergirl88
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Yes seem pretty set on this idea so why seek out other's opinions?
Good point.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Cogito wrote:Spyderco has made it clear that they know exactly who is counterfeiting and selling their products via eBay. However, they have advised us in the sub forum that they allow the activity to go on for certain reasons beyond our understanding. So if they are going to allow it, that's fine with me--but don't get mad if I take advantage of it.
You'll find (I'm afraid) that the knock-off won't have the same level of fit and finish (nor indeed the thread lock on the screws)- which have a direct impact on the strip-n-build experience.....You'll only learn how to take a knife (generally) to pieces, rather than gain any specific data on the PM2 itself.

I've stripped a fake Military down (I was given it as a gift from a co-worker) and several of my real Militaries....the experiences were very different- the bits that were tough to get apart on the real deal practically fell to pieces on the fake one- I'm talking fingertight screws with no threadlock.

Then getting them back together was a different experience too. Blade centering on the fake with it's 1/16th thick soft nylon washer was rather different to the finer tolerance on the real thing

Regardless of the morals of purchasing a fake (which I have strong opinions on)- My direct experience is it won't teach you much of specific use for a PM2.

But it's your cash, man- spend it how you like ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

demoncase wrote:
Cogito wrote:Spyderco has made it clear that they know exactly who is counterfeiting and selling their products via eBay. However, they have advised us in the sub forum that they allow the activity to go on for certain reasons beyond our understanding. So if they are going to allow it, that's fine with me--but don't get mad if I take advantage of it.
You'll find (I'm afraid) that the knock-off won't have the same level of fit and finish (nor indeed the thread lock on the screws)- which have a direct impact on the strip-n-build experience.....You'll only learn how to take a knife (generally) to pieces, rather than gain any specific data on the PM2 itself.

I've stripped a fake Military down (I was given it as a gift from a co-worker) and several of my real Militaries....the experiences were very different- the bits that were tough to get apart on the real deal practically fell to pieces on the fake one- I'm talking fingertight screws with no threadlock.

Then getting them back together was a different experience too. Blade centering on the fake with it's 1/16th thick soft nylon washer was rather different to the finer tolerance on the real thing

Regardless of the morals of purchasing a fake (which I have strong opinions on)- My direct experience is it won't teach you much of specific use for a PM2.

This is the exactly the type of info I was hoping for! If dissassembling a fake will be fruitless, I will not waste my time. I'll try to find a heavily used PM2 to work on, or I'll try to pick one up at this seconds sale.

Thanks!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I'd just look up some videos on YouTube.
I know it's just 1 knife... But it's 1 more reason for those companies to keep on creating their horrible fakes and ruining Spyderco's reputation, wasting people's money and profiting from it.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Cogito wrote:
demoncase wrote:

This is the exactly the type of info I was hoping for! If dissassembling a fake will be fruitless, I will not waste my time. I'll try to find a heavily used PM2 to work on, or I'll try to pick one up at this seconds sale.

Thanks!
So you were under the impression that a cheap knockoff would use the same level of materials and tolerances that a genuine spyderco would? You really had to ask?
Spydergirl88
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Edit
Last edited by Cogito on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Cogito wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Cogito wrote:
demoncase wrote:

Thanks!
So you were under the impression that a cheap knockoff would use the same level of materials and tolerances that a genuine spyderco would? You really had to ask?
Since many YouTube reviews of clones say that the knock-offs are replicated well (sometimes almost indistinguishable from the real thing), I figured that the internal mechanisms would still operate the same regardless of their polish. Again, I'm only interested in the internal operations of the knife.

Im not sure what response from me you are looking for, but if you are attempting to exalt yourself at my expense--so be it.

You are far more intelligent than me.

Feel better? Probably not, right?

Anyways, I really did receive the answer I was looking for. Thanks, everyone.
Last edited by Cogito on Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Just hoping you would realize the morality of the situation
Spydergirl88
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Just hoping you would realize the morality of the situation
Thank you for your kindness.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Besides both having screws what makes you think the experience or specs will be similar?

Try on yours. If it doesn't work out contact a modder to fix it and/or put snazzy touches on it at the same time.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Blerv wrote:Besides both having screws what makes you think the experience or specs will be similar?

Try on yours. If it doesn't work out contact a modder to fix it and/or put snazzy touches on it at the same time.
Dude that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Why go through that hassle when I could just tinker around with a $15 replica?

Anyways, thanks to previous answers, I'm not going to go this route anymore. I'll pick up a "tinkerer" at the seconds sale.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Cogito wrote:Flawed how? Why would I want to practice the complete dissassembly of a $130 pm2 when I can do so on a $15 knock off? Makes sense to me.
Flawed because like others have said, disassembling a cheap knockoff will teach you little about the intricacies of working on the real thing.

Flawed because in your original post you seem concerned with voiding your warranty. Disassembly voids your warranty whether you practice on a fake or not.

Flawed because you are mentioning the purchase of fake Spyderco products on a forum hosted by Spyderco dedicated to real Spyderco products while asking for the assistance from die hard Spyderco fans.

And lastly like Spydergirl pointed out, the morality isssue.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Cogito wrote:Flawed how? Why would I want to practice the complete dissassembly of a $130 pm2 when I can do so on a $15 knock off? Makes sense to me.
Flawed because like others have said, disassembling a cheap knockoff will teach you little about the intricacies of working on the real thing.

Flawed because in your original post you seem concerned with voiding your warranty. Disassembly voids your warranty whether you practice on a fake or not.

Flawed because you are mentioning the purchase of fake Spyderco products on a forum hosted by Spyderco dedicated to real Spyderco products while asking for the assistance from die hard Spyderco fans.

And lastly like Spydergirl pointed out, the morality isssue.
I don't think you understand what the word logic means. The logic is not flawed.

I want to understand the internal operations of a PM2 better without voiding my warranty. The more I understand the knives, the more knives I want to buy. Thus, Spyderco wins. I was searching for a cheap method of learning the internal mechanisms and came here to seek advice. I received it, and I'm not going this route anymore.

I'm not sure what else you want me to say, but I can certainly PM you my name and phone number if you want to discuss it further and learn more about each other. We would probably both be surprised. I'll be in Colorado at the second sale next month. You seem like a great, intelligent guy that I would like to meet and conversate with in person.
Last edited by Cogito on Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.