Spydiechef dropping

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Spydiechef dropping

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Just saw a guy with one online from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. What a killer year Spyderco is having!
Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
NickShabazz

Re: Spyderchef dropping

Post by NickShabazz »

Can't wait for mine. An in-law is about to graduate from culinary school and move to Alaska. So, he's getting a gift.

(At least, that's my justification...)
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Will be one incredibly appreciated gift, I'm sure!! :D
-Nick :bug-red
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm very anxious to hear some reviews of this steel. I've been very happy with it! Sharpens easily, takes a great edge and edge retention is more than acceptable. Its far and away the best pe performer out there in rust proof blade materials/steels.
napalmfriday

Post by napalmfriday »

Looking forward to this one!! :)
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Know nothing of this steel. Where does lie in the steel tree? Between what and what? If no better than vg 10 there is no way I would pay close to $200.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Flipping Addict wrote:Know nothing of this steel. Where does lie in the steel tree? Between what and what? If no better than vg 10 there is no way I would pay close to $200.
As with most things in life, there are going to be trade offs. From what I've heard, LC200N would be more corrosion resistant (to the point of being pretty much rust proof unless someone's out to prove they can destroy things), somewhat easier to sharpen, but probably not hold an edge quite as long as VG-10. As for price, there are no titanium RIL models in VG-10 to compare it with, but the slightly smaller Sage 2 sells for about $12 less. So, while not a knife you'd pay that much for, if anything, the price is probably less than most here would have guessed.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great news! Thanks for the heads up. Spyderco is indeed killing it this year (in regards to my wallet obviously) :')
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

They list the magnitude in stock too.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SF Native wrote:They list the magnitude in stock too.
Uh they what now? Shoot! I can't afford all these knives!!!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
SF Native wrote:They list the magnitude in stock too.
Uh they what now? Shoot! I can't afford all these knives!!!
I know. Tough choices ahead.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Junction also appears to be in stock!! Too many choices!!
-Nick :bug-red
timlara

Post by timlara »

This one does look very interesting. I'm not a huge framelock guy, but I'm very curious about both the ergos and the steel, so I may try to do some shuffling to fit this one into the budget. Looking forward to some reviews!
Tim
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Good news!
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Kinda crazy that SMKW would be the first ones to have this in stock. I can safely say they usually are the last ones. I'm excited for the Spydiechef though. Reminds me of the rock lobster but a cooler version
Think for yourself
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Kinda crazy that SMKW would be the first ones to have this in stock. I can safely say they usually are the last ones. I'm excited for the Spydiechef though. Reminds me of the rock lobster but a cooler version
Think for yourself
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Flipping Addict wrote:Know nothing of this steel. Where does lie in the steel tree? Between what and what? If no better than vg 10 there is no way I would pay close to $200.
Hi Flipping Addict, steels have many different characteristics so it depends on which you are referring to when you say better. If corrosion resistance is a priority then this steel is vastly better than vg10. In edge retention, it would be much closer. I haven't tested the two side by side and I haven't even done controlled testing with lc200n (for edge retention) but I have cleaned a lot of fish with it. I am not able to tell much difference between lc200n and steels like cpm154 for that work. The more carbide rich steels will probably cut longer on controlled testing, especially when used into lower levels of sharpness, but lc200n has proven itself to be a solid performer without any gross deficiencies in my use. I know that after cleaning a dozen snapper this steel shows no more edge degradation than cpm154. I like working with a sharp blade and I will usually touch the edge up by that point so edge retention has proven more than acceptable for my uses. I can also definitively say that edge retention is light years ahead of what H1 shows in that same work.

All that said, if you don't need a high level of corrosion resistance, there's nothing else about the steel that is really exceptional. It does though offer a nice balance of qualities and I would like the steel even if it didn't have great corrosion resistance. Edge retention is pretty good, seems to be fairly tough so far, its easy to sharpen and takes a great edge (both coarse and polished). On the other hand, if you DO need the corrosion resistance then this is far and away the best steel currently available.
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Really glad to see Spyderco using this steel. I hope this means we will see it in other offerings. Maybe even replace H1 as I've read it has better edge retention. Who knows what we will see this used in in future?
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

NickShabazz wrote:Can't wait for mine. An in-law is about to graduate from culinary school and move to Alaska. So, he's getting a gift.

(At least, that's my justification...)
I just had a horrible vision of a Spydiechef getting mangled on a sharpening steel. Hopefully your friend cares more about his knives than most of the chefs I know lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Well, I have absolutely zero need for corrosion resistance. The only moisture my knives see is my tears when I scratch one.

I have this preordered but I think I will cancel. The only reason I preordered it was for the looks anyway. I am much more interested in the Advocate. Wish there was some word on it.