DIY Kydex, share yours

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
JT

DIY Kydex, share yours

Post by JT »

I organized my garage the other day, and found some thin 1,2mm kydex lying around, I had forgotten I had it at all.

Ssooo => I like my Perrin Bowie and my Ark, but not so much the sheaths. retention is so-and so, and the Bowie rattles like crazy in the production sheath. They are also very bulky.

I’ve done some sheaths before for my personal use, for SPOT, Swick, some flashlights etc, and it is not that difficult, although it might take a few try before getting them the way you like. The beauty of kydex is, you can re-heat it over and over (don’t know how many times really) until desired shape and fit.

Since I make this stuff for my own use, I don’t care about the looks. As you can see, I tinkered the retention a bit by only heating small parts of the sheat with a lighter torch, and that usually is too hot (read, I hold the flame too close) and it leaves some “burn” marks on the sheat. However, on both the retention is awesome, I can literally shake and shake the crap out ot them and the knives don’t fall out. But when extracting the knife, they come out with just the right amount of force applied.

Neat thing about both of the knives is those trademark holes. With a little tinkering (heat the sheath area and press a light dimple) they help to keep the knife in the sheat, without causing too much resistance when the knife is pulled out of the sheath.

I did not have any black rivets or such lying around, so I just use what I had available. To top it off, I used some kevlar/dyneema cord I happened to have.

Now I’m carrying the Ark attatched to my bullet proof vest at work, with an velcro attachement, works like a charm.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Feel free to share yours, guys and gals :spyder:
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Xplorer

Re: DIY Kydex, share yours

Post by Xplorer »

Hi JT. I also like to make my own Kydex pieces. I use a toaster oven to get the Kydex to molding temp but you can also use a regular oven if you don't mind the house smelling like Kydex for a few hours :( . Here's a couple of the sheaths I've done lately.. :)

Streetbeat

Mule

Mule

Mule

Mule

Dragonfly attachment for a Mule sheath.

New sheath for my Peter Carey Firecracker neck knife.

Best regards,
Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
JT

Post by JT »

Very very nice Xplorer!
I like all the other knife mod stuff you do too!

The adjustable retention screws are neat, I tried that on one of the spot sheaths, works like a charm.
What kind of press fo you have, I bet it is pretty heavy duty to get that kind of results. I use a table vice, some plywood and old sleeping mat pieces, but every time I make anything with the stuff, I remember why I should make a decent kydex press. Solid frame and proper clamping mechanism would help a ton. I use an old toaster and a heating gun to heat up the pieces, but a cheap toaster oven would be handy too :)
But then again, my garage is overfilled allready :D
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

JT wrote:Very very nice Xplorer!
I like all the other knife mod stuff you do too!

The adjustable retention screws are neat, I tried that on one of the spot sheaths, works like a charm.
What kind of press fo you have, ...:D

Thank you JT. I made a press. I couldn't bring myself to spend $100 or more on a press someone else made when I could do it for about $25 myself. Hearing what you are using...the thing I would say would make the biggest difference for you is the foam. Getting a $20 piece of kydex molding foam would help. Otherwise, I think 2 boards and a vise works just great!

Here's my home-made press...just double-thick plywood for rigidity, 2 door hinges and some Kydex molding foam. :D

Best regards,
Chad
TALON52

Post by TALON52 »

I haven't used my Kydex skills for any of my knives yet, but I have been making Kydex gun holsters for around two years .

I built a vacuum press, any went to town making holsters!

USMC Disabled Veteran 69/73 Semper Fi
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Nice vacuum press Talon 52! It's on my list of stuff to make for my shop but haven't done it yet. Seeing yours is inspiring me!!
TALON52

Post by TALON52 »

Xplorer wrote:Nice vacuum press Talon 52! It's on my list of stuff to make for my shop but haven't done it yet. Seeing yours is inspiring me!!
Thanks for the complement! :)
Studey

Post by Studey »

I've dabbled. :p

TALON52

Post by TALON52 »

^^^^^^ Nice workmanship!!
JT

Post by JT »

Excellent workmanship gentlemen!
got to get those pull-the-dot straps to test out.