I thought i lost my beloved Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
polyhexamethyl

I thought i lost my beloved Delica

Post by polyhexamethyl »

First, i love all of my spydies, but with the delica i've a special connection since i bought it in Costa Rica, when spending a longer time abroad travelling and meeting a lot of awesome people!

Back to topic:
I was away from home working for my company.
I'm planning and executing Events for all kinds of companies all over europe.
the last few days i spent in Styria (Austria) at the formula1 racetrack executing a big event for one of the major steel companies in Austria.
I was busy with the setup of the event accompanied by my Delica FRN Comboedge, and my Vic Swisstool on my belt.
When everything was finished and set up according the needs of the customer i went to a Mall and got something to eat and later directly to the hotel to check in.
In my room i had to cut the package of something i purchased at the mall and my hand went down to my right pocket to get out my freshly sharpened Delica. - There was NO Knife clipped in that **** pocket!
I started to freak out a little - went back all the ways i've done since i last used the knife for sure, in my head.
No clue where i could have lost it!
So i went back to the eventside - no VG10 Delica anywhere! F***!!
No signs of my Knife at the mall either!
Of course i checked the car and my room properly before. ---

Resigning, after checking all my pockets over and over again I accepted that i've lost this little handy tool with a personal story. Already thinking about purchasing one in ZDP189 to make the gap in my life a little smaller!

After Rethinking all the possibilities of a place where the knife could be i got my notebook out of my backpack, to find a reputable dealer equipping me with a brand new ZDP-189 Delica---

You know what?

My Delica, that little critter, was clipped in one of the coyote tan colored straps, pretty good camouflaged, of my TT bagpack!!!

What a happy moment!

I just wanted to share this little story! maybe there where similar moment in your knife nut lifes as well!

PS: i think i'll get the ZDP 189 Version anyways now!

PPS:

please don't mind my english, i hope y'all understand most of my writings! - I'm a little rusty in the foreign language compartment already!
Xplorer

Re: I thought i lost my beloved Delica

Post by Xplorer »

Congrats! I know the feeling.

I bought a Delica and an Endura in 1991...the originals with molded clipit clips and no steel designation on the blades. I thought the Endura was lost for years and I had slowly accepted that. Then, I lost my Delica about 9 months ago, and I was absolutely sick about it. It left a sick feeling in my stomach every time I thought about it. Then...one day about 3 months ago....hallelujah! I was updating my family earthquake emergency kit that I had in a suitcase in the garage and found that many years ago I had (wisely albeit forgetfully) put my full serrated Endura in the emergency kit. The very next day I happened to look in a bathroom cabinet drawer that I never open (ahem...only my daughter uses that drawer..) and there it was!! My Delica!! The joy I felt knowing my knives were safely in my possession again was tremendous! No more sick feeling.

I am happy for you and I also think that ZDP189 Delica is a good idea.

Best regards!

Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

thank you for the story!

i never lost a spyderco - and i'm really happy that i didn't have, the last few days!
sometimes i think it's not meant to loose a spydie :D
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I have had one of those moments for sure. The same week I purchased my second ever spydie (sage 1) I was grocery shopping at target and when I got home the knife was no longer clipped to my pants!! I immediately went back inside, looked up and down the isles, talked to customer service who checked the lost and found, filled out a report, and went home. I figured it was gone forever.. A week later, my wife texts me at work to inform me that she found my knife. It was perfectly clipped to the outside cellophane wrapping of a 20lb bag of dog food I had purchased at target that day. It must have grabbed it right off of my pocket and clipped itself to the dog food. That was a glorious day!!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Thought I had lost my Superblue D'fly this week, turned out it was clipped in a pants pocket in the laundry and I missed it the first time I went through the hamper. Definitely sucks to think you have lost a Spydie!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

Thought I had lost my Superblue D'fly this week, turned out it was clipped in a pants pocket in the laundry and I missed it the first time I went through the hamper. Definitely sucks to think you have lost a Spydie!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

It sucks losing a knife. I lost a dragonfly salt about a month ago. Looked everywhere for that darn thing with no luck. Haven't brought myself to replace it yet. Keep hoping it will turn up but the longer time goes by the less likely that is.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If I thought I had lost my Delica I do not know what I would do. The Delica is my favorite pocket knife, ever (even over some high dollar ones that I have).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Fortunately, delicas are easy to replace.

I almost lost a superblue Caly 3.5 when I left if on top of the roof of my vehicle. I had another one still in the box but that one was gifted to me by my friends here in the forum during a bad time in my life and that knife along with one or two others( also gifts and also hard to replace) are among my most valued possesions.

Anyway, glad you still have your beloved knife. :)
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

That's why I don't clip anymore.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

yeah, i got rid of the clip on my endura from it's clip since it was leaving my pockets on a regular basis.
anyhow i prefer my knives clipped in since they're readily available and don't use up too much pocket space!