paramilitary 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
roninair

paramilitary 3

Post by roninair »

I keep looking for that perfect folder, while I`ve seen a few that peaks my interest I seem to hold back for 3 reasons ,one is a limited budget,two a wife and three before I spend my money I want to see and feel a Paramilitary 3 in my hands .Am I the only knife nut that feels this way ?
SF Native

Re: paramilitary 3

Post by SF Native »

I think it will be excellent when it arrives and I'm going to have a lot of sprints to buy in the future. I almost skipped some of the pm2 knives because the pm3 should be easier for me to carry with my local knife laws. I'm hoping at least.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

You've got 31 posts, so perhaps you're letting anticipation of the PM3 get in the way of buying your first Spyderco knife period.

I wouldn't do that.

When I came here, I checked out what Spyderco had, and determined that what I really needed was the Paramilitary (the 2 hadn't been released yet), but smaller. So I settled for three or four other knives while I waited.

I'm still waiting, but in the meantime I've always had a great knife in my pocket.
Brianv

Post by Brianv »

I too am waiting to see what the Paramilitary 3 will be like. In the mean time I have purchased a Delica 4 FFG and I'm not at all disappointed. I'm not a collector so it will be interesting to me to see if there is any reason to get a Paramilitary 3. I do want to get a Dragonfly though as it is pretty much all the knife anyone really needs. The Delica is big but not too big. I don't think you would be squandering money if you bought a Delica.
FreelanceForty

Post by FreelanceForty »

I am really looking forward to the PM 3 as well. I have three Delicas and am currently looking to expand my EDC collection. While I would love to purchase the PM2, it's a bit too big for EDC and I am not a fan of buying knives that I won't use frequently. I always thought a smaller PM2 would be perfect. Does anyone know when it's coming out?
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

I didn't even know that this was coming out. Can you preorder it?
FreelanceForty

Post by FreelanceForty »

Cogito wrote:I didn't even know that this was coming out. Can you preorder it?
I don't think Spyderco has officially revealed it yet. Sal has posted a couple of times on forums about a year ago that they were working on it and had plans to release it soon. And apparently they showcased a prototype version of it at SHOT show. But it seem like we haven't heard much about it lately.
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

FreelanceForty wrote:
I don't think Spyderco has officially revealed it yet. Sal has posted a couple of times on forums about a year ago that they were working on it and had plans to release it soon. And apparently they showcased a prototype version of it at SHOT show. But it seem like we haven't heard much about it lately.
Thanks, brother
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

FreelanceForty wrote:
I got to handle the PM3 at the USN Gathering about 5 weeks ago. I got the impression we're going to see them fairly soon. I'm looking forward to starting a PM3 collection to go with my PM2s. :D
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
FreelanceForty

Post by FreelanceForty »

Xplorer wrote:
FreelanceForty wrote:
I got to handle the PM3 at the USN Gathering about 5 weeks ago. I got the impression we're going to see them fairly soon. I'm looking forward to starting a PM3 collection to go with my PM2s. :D
Glad to know that it's still being worked on and not abandoned by Spyderco! I can't wait for that knife. I think it would be a perfect EDC blade for me. Just thinking about it excites me :D
FreelanceForty

Post by FreelanceForty »

FreelanceForty wrote:
Xplorer wrote:
FreelanceForty wrote:
Glad to know that it's still being worked on and not abandoned by Spyderco! I can't wait for that knife. I think it would be a perfect EDC blade for me. Just thinking about it excites me.
roninair

Post by roninair »

So Explorer ,what did you think ?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

roninair wrote:So Explorer ,what did you think ?
I thought it was awesome! Bear in mind that I am a fan of the PM2. I also like to carry EDC knives smaller than the PM2 fairly often. That's what the PM3 is. It's a PM2 but shorter...shorter blade and shorter handle. After handling it, opening, closing, and generally messing around with it.. :D , I didn't find anything quirky or odd about the shorter design. It worked and felt as refined as the PM2. Time will tell, but I suspect I am going to prefer carrying PM3s over PM2s..I'll let you know after I buy a few :D :spyder: .

Best regards,
Chad
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

How much different will the PM3 be from the Sage 5??
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Unbrokenchain33 wrote:How much different will the PM3 be from the Sage 5??
They should be pretty close with the biggest difference being the blade shape and the back of the handle. My PM2 does feel more refined (smoother, etc) than my Sage 5 and I'm hoping the new PM3 is the same. I'm not knocking the Sage 5, it's great, but the action on my example isn't quite as nice as the action on my PM2.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
roninair

Post by roninair »

Thanks, Chad
archangel

Post by archangel »

Any idea about the steel? What was used on the prototype?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Xplorer wrote:I got to handle the PM3 at the USN Gathering about 5 weeks ago. I got the impression we're going to see them fairly soon. I'm looking forward to starting a PM3 collection to go with my PM2s. :D

Just curious what name they were calling the proto-knife by?

Was blade stock still 4mm, or thinner?
Going back to Caly.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

SpeedHoles wrote:Just curious what name they were calling the proto-knife by?

They called it PM3 :) .

I'm not 100% sure about the blade thickness. I'm 98% sure it was 4mm. I compared the PM2 and the PM3 directly next to each other and looked to see what the specific differences were. I did not notice a difference in blade thickness. I can also say I did notice that the PM3 handle is the same overall thickness as the PM2 handle...which leads me to believe the blade is the same thickness.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Xplorer wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Just curious what name they were calling the proto-knife by?

They called it PM3 :) .

I'm not 100% sure about the blade thickness. I'm 98% sure it was 4mm. I compared the PM2 and the PM3 directly next to each other and looked to see what the specific differences were. I did not notice a difference in blade thickness. I can also say I did notice that the PM3 handle is the same overall thickness as the PM2 handle...which leads me to believe the blade is the same thickness.

Cool, thanks for the info.
Yeah, if overall handle thickness is the same, then I'd imagine blade stock will be same, too.
Really sounds like it's just a shorter Paramilitary, not a smaller Paramilitary.
Going back to Caly.