Show your Gayle Bradley's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TraumaRN904

Re: Show your Gayle Bradley's

Post by TraumaRN904 »

Dammit... OK now I know what my next knife purchase will be. General consensus... Which do folks prefer the GB or the GB2 and why?
I think I'm leaning toward the original form factor....

You guys are a bad influence.
Gayle Bradley 1 (PE) CPM-M4
PM2 (Blurple) (PE) CPM S110V
Pacific Salt (SE) H1
Tasman Salt (SE) H1
Ulize (PE) VG10
Pingo (Black/Orange)(PE) N690Co
G-10 Dragonfly2 (PE) VG10
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

TraumaRN904 wrote:Dammit... OK now I know what my next knife purchase will be. General consensus... Which do folks prefer the GB or the GB2 and why?

GB is discontinued so if you can find that, snatch it up first and try it. If you aren't that into it, flip it for the GB2 (which I prefer because I don't really have to cut hard, and I like the lighter/slimmer package with more blade).
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Knife Center is listing the GB as being in stock but not the GB2. Sooner State Knives appears to have both in stock at the moment. The GB2 can be a little bit harder to find these days until Spyderco makes another production run.

I went with the original GB because I had read so much about it and wanted to see what it was all about. I like the design and have no plans to buy a GB2. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Sharp Guy wrote:Knife Center is listing the GB as being in stock but not the GB2. Sooner State Knives appears to have both in stock at the moment. The GB2 can be a little bit harder to find these days until Spyderco makes another production run.

I went with the original GB because I had read so much about it and wanted to see what it was all about. I like the design and have no plans to buy a GB2. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
You won't be disappoited at all Sharpguy, I think a lot of people prefer it to the 2, myself included. I grabbed a 2 back when they dropped and have only carried it once or twice since where as the original I carry all the time. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

farnorthdan wrote:You won't be disappoited at all Sharpguy, I think a lot of people prefer it to the 2, myself included. I grabbed a 2 back when they dropped and have only carried it once or twice since where as the original I carry all the time. :)
Thanks Dan! I already have 2 GBs that I picked up on the secondary market. I was just trying to help TraumaRN904 locate each model since they can be hard to find at dealers these days.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

TraumaRN904 wrote:Dammit... OK now I know what my next knife purchase will be. General consensus... Which do folks prefer the GB or the GB2 and why?

My thoughts: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 0#p1065423

Comparison Pics: //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 0#p1065185
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

Not dirty or patina'd but used and carried often.
death-to-yancey

Post by death-to-yancey »

I agree, they really are. Just put in my order a minute ago for the gb2. I don't think I can handle anyone of these "show your..." threads for awhile. :D
Thanks to all members, old and new.

-George
TraumaRN904

Post by TraumaRN904 »

OK... So I've placed my order and it should be arriving Tuesday! What a great week a blurple PM2 and a Gayle Bradley 1! This has to stop!! LOL

All kidding aside; it was tough decision between the GB/GB2. I really liked the aesthetics of the GB2's blade. However it seems to be approaching a more gentleman's folder look. The GB seems more... purpose built. I don't know.... It just seems the right choice. I think I'd honestly have been happy either way, but I'm really pleased with my decision. Now I just have to wait and see how it feels in my hands!

Dave
Gayle Bradley 1 (PE) CPM-M4
PM2 (Blurple) (PE) CPM S110V
Pacific Salt (SE) H1
Tasman Salt (SE) H1
Ulize (PE) VG10
Pingo (Black/Orange)(PE) N690Co
G-10 Dragonfly2 (PE) VG10
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I own both and I still haven't decided which is superior. They really are different knives all together. Only time will tell which will reign supreme.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I don't have GB 2, but the long running GB 1 hard use test thread and the stopping production of GB1, convinced me to get my 2nd GB1. The choil / choilless discussion over BF brought up very good points that also represents GB 1 vs GB 2. I also like to have lanyard hold on my knives, because I mostly carry clipless and the lanyard helps locating and getting/pulling the knives out.

I also like lockback better, and GB1 is the only liner lock left in my Spyderco line up, because it feels so solid and not that asymmetrical with the thick liner (GB1 wins) and solid CF/G10 laminate handle material (GB2 = GB1). I also like the fact it has no lock release cutout (this one GB2 is same as GB1).
Chris :spyder:
jdw

Post by jdw »

I bought a GB 1 last week because of this thread and holy cow what a great knife! The ergos in my hand
are fabulous, the action is smooth and the M4 is absolutely incredible. I get the complaints about the lock
but compared to the superb ergos of the rest of the knife it is a non-issue for me. Wonderful knife. It
feels exactly as a knife should in hand. Thanks for all of the enabling!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Gave an old friend some much deserved TLC:
harronek

Post by harronek »

Ken
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Okay, I got a GB1 in the mail today because I already had a two and wanted to settle on at least one but wanted to compare before I made that decision.

I agree the 1 feels incredibly strong. Probably instills the most confidence I have ever had in a folder. Amazing. And the one I got was perfection personified. Nice nice specimen. But the lock is noticeably stiffer due to the much thicker liners and is destroying my finger.

So, I think I will let the 1 find a good home with someone on Blade Exchange and keep my 2. Easier to open and ascthetically I like both equally.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Flipping Addict wrote:But the lock is noticeably stiffer due to the much thicker liners and is destroying my finger.
Could the lock be a little sticky? One of mine sticks occasionally and when it does my thumb gets raw in a hurry. I've been working with it and it rarely does it now. In fact I just opened and closed it maybe 30 times and it was easy to close every time.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

No stick that I can feel. Doesn't help that I am real skinny and do not have fatty fingers to get flesh webbed in there easily. If it was a modded one with the lock area milled out I might keep. Someone on here has shown one in a thread with that milled out treatment. Wish I had one like that.

I just posted it in the exchange a few minutes ago and suspect it will be gone by this time tomorrow anyway.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Flipping Addict wrote:No stick that I can feel. Doesn't help that I am real skinny and do not have fatty fingers to get flesh webbed in there easily. If it was a modded one with the lock area milled out I might keep. Someone on here has shown one in a thread with that milled out treatment. Wish I had one like that.
My fingers aren't very meaty either and it didn't take me long to realize that trying to force the side of your thumb in the little space next to the lock bar doesn't work out very well. Instead I push down with the middle of the thumb (pad) and move the lock over. No more sore thumb.

I have one of the modded GB1s too and it is much easier to use.
Flipping Addict wrote:I just posted it in the exchange a few minutes ago and suspect it will be gone by this time tomorrow anyway.
I saw your sales ad. Seems like a flury of GB1s and other Spydies all of sudden.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Have any of you GB enthusiasts noted any performance difference in the solid liner GB 1's v. drilled liner GB 1's?

The solid linered models' blades allegedly were run a little hotter / harder.

Probably a pretty tall order assuming that you guys own both different versions and used each fairly equally at similar tasks, but thought I'd ask anyways, thanks