Boss tipped my domino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Re: Boss tipped my domino

Post by awa54 »

farnorthdan wrote:Here's one of my son's he dropped on the hardwood floor, guess which end it landed on :D

Spydergirl88 wrote:RIP Nilakka
Ouch! I would say that's not quite dead yet, but reshaping the tip will take some careful work and it'll never look original, no matter how well it still cuts :(
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

awa54 wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Here's one of my son's he dropped on the hardwood floor, guess which end it landed on :D

Ouch! I would say that's not quite dead yet, but reshaping the tip will take some careful work and it'll never look original, no matter how well it still cuts :(
Definitely not dead, he did that one maybe a year ago, reshaped it and got it mostly fixed but still needs some work, I really should do some more to it now that I have some diamond plates for the edge pro. Probably should have never gotten him the Nilakka, he's just too rough of stuff.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:
awa54 wrote:

Definitely not dead, he did that one maybe a year ago, reshaped it and got it mostly fixed but still needs some work, I really should do some more to it now that I have some diamond plates for the edge pro. Probably should have never gotten him the Nilakka, he's just too rough of stuff.
Bit off topic but have you checked out the Congress Moldmaster stones? They cut far better than my Atoma diamond plates ever did and they go all the way down to 80 grit and are only a few bucks each. I wish I had never bought the Atomas...I could have bought the whole Moldmaster line several times over for the price of one diamond plate.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I haven't had a chance to pick any up yet David, I keep meaning to, one of these days. The Atoma plates are so much better than the stock plates that come with the EP, those Moldmasters sound amazing.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

First off, I'm sorry this happened to you. I've "tipped" some myself and been through the same thing. My brother in law once borrowed a knife and 5 minutes later I wondered if he had tried to cut through a brick wall it looked so rough. I've started carrying a spare SAK classic so that when folks need to "borrow" a knife, the potential loss is minimal.

From the pictures, it looks like future sharpening will even it out. But again I know how frustrating this can be.
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Did within 5 minutes of getting my very first Spyderco. Also very minimal, like yours, and sharpened out by now.

But that hollow feeling in your gut is the worst.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Evil D wrote: Bit off topic but have you checked out the Congress Moldmaster stones? They cut far better than my Atoma diamond plates ever did and they go all the way down to 80 grit and are only a few bucks each. I wish I had never bought the Atomas...I could have bought the whole Moldmaster line several times over for the price of one diamond plate.
I have a set of 150 ruby and 240 Moldmaster triangles to fit the Sharpmaker. The ruby dishes pretty fast, but removes stock well, the Moldmaster seems a bit better bonded and cuts more aggressively than the Spyderco CBN rods, but it still shows noticeable wear.

For really heavy work I still resort to a diamond plate, my current workhorse is a large DiaSharp in coarse, next time I'll shell out the extra for a bonded stone like the EZ Lap, though, since the edges of the DiaSharp are staring to lose their grit after a few years.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

how well do they fit the sharpmaker? i have thought about buying the triangle stones for quite a whiile now.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sorry I was thinking about flat stones for the Edge Pro, mine haven't shown any signs of wear at all yet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TraumaRN904

Post by TraumaRN904 »

A knife tip really shouldn't break off hitting a wood floor....
Gayle Bradley 1 (PE) CPM-M4
PM2 (Blurple) (PE) CPM S110V
Pacific Salt (SE) H1
Tasman Salt (SE) H1
Ulize (PE) VG10
Pingo (Black/Orange)(PE) N690Co
G-10 Dragonfly2 (PE) VG10
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

TraumaRN904 wrote:A knife tip really shouldn't break off hitting a wood floor....
Some are just so fine and thin like the Nilakka and Pattada, they have needle like points, not hard users that's for sure.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:how well do they fit the sharpmaker? i have thought about buying the triangle stones for quite a whiile now.
I've been thinking about trying some too. I've opened their website several times in the past few months but I can never decide which grits I should buy. Same thing earlier today. The Congess website is still open on my PC with no decision made on my part
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Quit your job. Wait, what was the question?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I had a friend drop my smurf Yojimbo onto a tile floor..... I was not amused. It wasn't a terrible break but the tip didn't survive. I always keep a native frn/frcp around to hand to others if they need a knife.