.22LR rifle recommendations?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
AH2525

Re: .22LR rifle recommendations?

Post by AH2525 »

For a little bit different option, I would recommend a Browning SA22 or if you could find one of the Norinco clones of it. They are beautiful little guns and a joy to carry. They also takedown into 2 pieces for travel. Just a thought.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

AH2525 wrote:For a little bit different option, I would recommend a Browning SA22 or if you could find one of the Norinco clones of it. They are beautiful little guns and a joy to carry. They also takedown into 2 pieces for travel. Just a thought.
Those are fun little guns too- bottom ejecting too, for those of us that don't like hot brass down the collar ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Remington 552 or 572 if you can find one. These are the only 22 rifles I'm aware of that will shoot shorts, longs and long rifles all. I have even taken a box of all three and mixed them with one of each and it with shoot them as fast as you can pull the trigger with a different sound each shot. Pretty neat and plenty accurate
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

ImageX wrote:22lr has been coming back around for awhile now. Even my local Gander Mountain has piles of it

That's my luck- no Gander Mountain around here. The closest we would have is a Cabela's and it's a very long drive from me.

Where would you find it online? I checked midwayusa, cabelas and academy sports. The only thing I found in stock at any of them was the expensive import stuff that is $10-$20 per box. I can buy 9mm for $10 per box and .223 for just a little more. How can .22LR possibly cost that much?
Holland

Post by Holland »

I love love love my browning bl22 and tbolt. Amazing rifles, highly recommend them
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Standard recommendations for a customer searching for their 1st .22 rifle....

Bolt action.....Savage Mark II...K.I.S.S. personified....nothing fancy but a real performer.
Semi auto.....Ruger 10/22....(so much custom gear available for it we call them adult Legos...build it your way)
Lever action......Marlin 39A.....(Find a real JM manufactured one used, the Remington made ones aren't up to the old standards.)
Pump action.......Either a Taurus or Rossi Model 62 pump, a copy of the old Winchester. Very accurate and stupid fun to shoot.

No, none of these are "high dollar" like many other recommendation, but all are solid performers whether on the range or in the field....exactly what you want in a quality rifle.

Some of my personal choices from the safe.....

Remington 513T with a 12x Unertl target scope.....my squirrel gun
Marlin 39A with a Lyman peep sight....I've owned every type of lever gun, the 39A has beaten every single one in accuracy, reliability and beauty.
Browning SA22....light, accurate and beautifully finished....my other squirrel gun.
Winchester Winder Musket trainer (single-shot).....22 short only, heavy as a boat anchor but ridiculously accurate.

Honorable mention goes to my Calico 100 and my dedicated .22lr AR-15 upper.
ImageX

Post by ImageX »

bdblue wrote:
ImageX wrote:22lr has been coming back around for awhile now. Even my local Gander Mountain has piles of it

That's my luck- no Gander Mountain around here. The closest we would have is a Cabela's and it's a very long drive from me.

Where would you find it online? I checked midwayusa, cabelas and academy sports. The only thing I found in stock at any of them was the expensive import stuff that is $10-$20 per box. I can buy 9mm for $10 per box and .223 for just a little more. How can .22LR possibly cost that much?

Here's some decent deals with normal pricing and in stock. You can also sign up for email alerts from places like Midway for when stuff comes in stock. I do it with the CCI 500rd boxes.

Midway
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/193520 ... box-of-325

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/215850 ... box-of-100

Cabela's
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... 536080.uts

remnar

Post by remnar »

demoncase wrote:
AH2525 wrote:For a little bit different option, I would recommend a Browning SA22 or if you could find one of the Norinco clones of it. They are beautiful little guns and a joy to carry. They also takedown into 2 pieces for travel. Just a thought.
Those are fun little guns too- bottom ejecting too, for those of us that don't like hot brass down the collar ;)
Hot brass down the sleeve is just as much fun. :D

I love my Norinco even though it's not as nice as the Browning. I like shooting it more than my 10/22 and my old Sears bolt gun. It's also my daughter's favorite rifle to shoot. It's not a competition grade target rifle, but it is fun.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm a big fan of the 10/22. It's the "32 Ford of rifles", it can be built into anything you can afford to make it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Savage MKII is ok, but somewhat spotty on QC & barrel quality, some shoot really well, others, not as good. Cheap, can be made into other things a with a bit of effort. A threaded barrel is nice to have from the factory, just sayin'....

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

remnar wrote:
demoncase wrote:for those of us that don't like hot brass down the collar ;)
I was shooting a match a couple years ago, the guy next to me was shooting a 10/22 and during the sitting/rapid fire stage an empty case landed on the back of my neck and just sat there, searing the skin. :eek: The stage is timed so I had to shoot through it or lose valuable points. I managed to score a 100 for the stage but also so earned a nice welt on the back of my neck for a few days.

I've seen the hot brass dance many times over the years! I'll never forget the time when I was on RO duty and a guy came out with his (rather attractive) girlfriend/wife to sight in his new 10/22. The girl was sitting to his right and facing him while watching him shoot. A hot casing went right down the front her blouse and proceeded to burn a rather sensitive area. That blouse got buttoned up to the neck in a hurry!! :D

Browning SA-22 is a classic for sure!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Sharp Guy wrote:
remnar wrote:
demoncase wrote:for those of us that don't like hot brass down the collar ;)
I was shooting a match a couple years ago, the guy next to me was shooting a 10/22 and during the sitting/rapid fire stage an empty case landed on the back of my neck and just sat there, searing the skin. :eek: The stage is timed so I had to shoot through it or lose valuable points. I managed to score a 100 for the stage but also so earned a nice welt on the back of my neck for a few days.

I've seen the hot brass dance many times over the years! I'll never forget the time when I was on RO duty and a guy came out with his (rather attractive) girlfriend/wife to sight in his new 10/22. The girl was sitting to his right and facing him while watching him shoot. A hot casing went right down the front her blouse and proceeded to burn a rather sensitive area. That blouse got buttoned up to the neck in a hurry!! :D

Browning SA-22 is a classic for sure!
I was shooting off the bench (Left hand ejecting Martini-Henri .22) and a spent case went passed me and bounced off the guy next to me's eyelid :eek:
He wasn't wearing eye protection and he stopped shooting
I then spy him stood with the RO just at the periphery of my vision:

Idiot 1- "He" *pointing at me* "Just nearly blinded me with a spent case"
RO- "Oh yeah?...How did that happen then?"
Idiot 1- "Left handed ejection is dangerous for normal shooters- make him put a sheet up between him and me"
RO- "Hmm. A question....Were you wearing eye protection?"
Idiot 1- "Ah, well, no because it interferes with my scope and I've not got me bifocals and..."
RO- *cuts off Idiot 1* "Maybe if you were wearing eye protection like he is then you wouldn't have got hit in the eye with hot brass"
Idiot 1- "Hang on-"
RO *cuts off Idiot 1 again* "No, put your safety glasses or don't bleat to me. Right?....Right!"- and walks off.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/