If someone wanted to buy you a Spyderco for your birthday...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

If someone wanted to buy you a Spyderco for your birthday...

Post by SG89 »

Let's say someone wants to buy you a Spyderco (sub $200) for your birthday... Which would you choose? I buy Spydies more than addicts buy crack but it's really difficult for me to decide when someone else is doing the buying. So which model would you choose if you were in my situation?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Re: If someone wanted to buy you a Spyderco for your birthday...

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

K2
death-to-yancey

Post by death-to-yancey »

I'd say probably a domino. I really like the design and everybody always talks about how smooth of a flipper it is, but I don't see myself buying one for myself. Price is one reason, but for some reason I never venture out from the normal thumb hole/stud.
Thanks to all members, old and new.

-George
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

You're planning on buying me a new knife for my birthday? Wow that's sure nice of you!! :p

Native 5 LW S110V or Native 5 G10 S110V please. Heck my birthday's not until Dec. 27th, maybe the Native 5 LW Maxamet will be out by then.

All kidding aside, if you're like me, you have most of the knives that were on your wishlist. Are there any sprint runs or exclusives coming up that you've been thinking about? How about the PM2 Cruwear? Maybe wait for the smaller PM2 to drop? Advocate should be out sometime soon. I know it's a little more than $200 but...
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpyderWill

Post by SpyderWill »

That's a tough one. I would probably pick something from the S110v line. I've had my eye on a G10 S110v Manix for a while. Beyond that line, the Sage 5 probably would be one of my top choices too.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

FRN Stretches: one ZDP189 and one VG10. :D
Chris :spyder:
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

+1 for S110V line. G10 Manix is on top of my wish list too, or the new gray LW in Maxamet should be great. It is a beast in edge retention.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I would be happy with ANY Spydie from 2010 till now.
I think I would ask one of them new Dragonflies or Manbugs :D
They're about 100 euro's over here.
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Grab a HAP40 Stretch. Stretch is discontinued. It was Sal's self carry design. It was a sprint run.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I'd ask for a S110V Military as my first choice.

Or...

I'd ask for $200 cash and put down the rest out of my pocket to preorder the Advocate.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

I was faced with the exact same predicament last week. After a ton of thought, I choose the Orange Autonomy. It cant be owned where we live, so she is shipping it to my father's house in Vegas where it will reside. We are out there every few months for work or play, so the fact that I will only get to handle it a few times a year will make it even more special. (ps obviously I have a problem and bless her for indulging it)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Right now top of my list of what's available is probably the S110V Military. My birthday also happens to be in 9 days.... ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

The real problem here is that there are just too many good choices. But what a delightful dilemma.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

HAP40 Stretch
Sage 5
S110V PM2
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm still waiting for my birthday M2 Maxamet LW, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I love the Sage5 that appeared on my birthday :D
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Gayle Bradley 2; Mantra 1 or Farid K2 :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If I did not already have a Caly3 ZDP-189 that is what I would opt for. Another must have would be a Nishijin Dragonfly. It is a beautiful knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sage5. I have and love all in the series, but this one, now my favorite, has it all, not least Sal's own lock.

I could make a fair argument that the Sage5 is the only Spydie folder you really need, but where's the fun in such a limitation?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Assuming this gift is going to come from someone who is not a knife nut, and therefore doesn't have the same ability or determination to find the more elusive models that we do, I'd have to go with something from my wish list that's pretty readily available. I've always wanted a Vallotton, or if I want to go easier on them maybe a blue Delica or a H1 hawkbill Ladybug. A blue Military would be nice too, and I see they're floating around. If it's someone whose internet comprehension inspired some confidence, I'd totally ask for something preordered and/or exclusive. I can't belive there are still blue weave Dominoes! And green Militaries! What I'd really like is to put a couple loved ones together to get me a Vrango. :D Wow...I really like blue.

Anyway, happy upcoming birthday!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

There are several I'd like. Hard to pick just one. Sage 5, Mantra, G10 Manix 2, Domino, Bradley Air, Kiwi, SpydieChef, Bradley Junction, K2, another PM2 or pretty much any sprint. Those are just the ones that really grab me. I wouldn't be upset if someone closed their eyes, flipped through the catalog and sent me what they stopped at. So many unique and interesting designs, I'd enjoy finding a use for what ever it was. I really need to stop browsing the catalog. Too many wants...
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.