My Bro the Gunsmith

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sharp Guy

My Bro the Gunsmith

Post by Sharp Guy »

This isn't knife related but I know there are more than a few firearms fans here. We're very proud of my brother and I thought I'd share a couple vids with you. I'm heading to CO in a couple weeks to see him and spend a little time in his shop. I guess I'm getting a little excited. :D

From the NRA All Access show that aired on the Outdoor Channel a few months ago:

https://youtu.be/w1ZHdT__Eh0

Another that his customer just made:

https://youtu.be/sQQ5oGCJs-E
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
OldHoosier62

Re: My Bro the Gunsmith

Post by OldHoosier62 »

As a semi-retired 3rd generation gunsmith, your brother does excellent quality work. Functional and very aesthetically pleasing.
remnar

Post by remnar »

That's some awesome work!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That is beautiful work. Please pass along our compliments to your brother. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

Nice stuff, a true craftsman. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. Very nice sharp guy!
Thank you for sharing.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Incredible. I enjoyed that thoroughly. Thank you.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Thanks all! I enjoyed our visit. Even used his shop (and expertise) to work on a couple of my rifles. Next time I visit CO I hope to take a little extra time and drive up to Golden.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

That's fantastic work!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wow excellent quality firearms work. Thank you!

I have a question about gun parts and gun smithing, if it is okay for me to ask in this thread:

I have seen advertisements and catalogs selling people the bottom halves of rifles and also some sell barrels and stocks, and they always say "No FFL required" as long as one buys that section of the gun. At what point does a firearm part or collection of parts get close enough to a complete gun to where one would need to get the license? Ie, if you have a gun that is 75 percent complete or 95 percent complete? Ie, what is the safest position to take in regards to this and the law?

I'm just wondering, because I read a lot of magazines and books and websites with sporting goods.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Craftsmanship that ends up with art.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I have a question about gun parts and gun smithing, if it is okay for me to ask in this thread:

I have seen advertisements and catalogs selling people the bottom halves of rifles and also some sell barrels and stocks, and they always say "No FFL required" as long as one buys that section of the gun. At what point does a firearm part or collection of parts get close enough to a complete gun to where one would need to get the license? Ie, if you have a gun that is 75 percent complete or 95 percent complete? Ie, what is the safest position to take in regards to this and the law?
I'm honestly no authority on this but I know there are 80% completed receivers and frames out there for various types fireams that require a lot of additional machining to allow them to accept critical components (ie: trigger group). Once the part reaches a point in manufacture (above 80%?) where it can be classified as a firearm as defined by the Gun Control Act it's officially a regulated component.

If you are considering purchasing something like this I would do your homework to make sure you're within the law and to make sure you have the capability to do the work required to complete the project yourself. I've done quite a bit of machining at a previous job but I don't think this is a job I'd want to tackle. I have a friend in another state that purchased an 80% receiver for a 10/22 and it's been quite a project for him. Even if I had a lathe and mill at home I think I'd be better off buying one from a manufacturer who has the CNC equipment and the experience to finish it correctly.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Wow excellent quality firearms work. Thank you!

I have a question about gun parts and gun smithing, if it is okay for me to ask in this thread:

I'm just wondering, because I read a lot of magazines and books and websites with sporting goods.
What you are seeing in these magazines and ect are probably ar15 parts from the sounds of it. An ar15 is broken down into a handful of parts, upper receiver, lower receiver, barrel, bolt carrier group, handguard, grip, stock, buffer tube, buffer and then all the little Springs and little parts to put them all together. The only thing that requires an ffl (in the state of Florida at least) is the lower receiver. This is because it is the only part with a serial number. You do not personally need to have a ffl license. Every gun store is an ffl and has the license. What you would have to do is purchase the lower from the online store, give them your information and then the gun stores information. What happens is they transfer the serial number from their system to the gun stores system and then ship the lower. When the store gets your lower in they give you a call and then you have to go fill out the paperwork for a background check and once that goes through they transfer the serial number and receiver to you. Most stores charge $25-$40 to do this transfer. All of the other parts are not serialized and do not need to have a background check done in order to own. That's why they don't need a ffl.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

What I assumed he was seeing is something like these:

http://www.80percentarms.com/

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/atf-ans ... z4M88Sp7GI

https://1911builders.com/collections/4140-steel-kits

http://www.ruger1022receiver.com/

These do not require an FFL because they require considerable machine work to allow them to accept critical components.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

On a shooting forum I'm a member of I recently shared some more pics of my brother's work. Thought I'd dig up this thread and add to it. He's often asked to repair botched work that others did and make parts for old firearms. This first part is more metal working. I'll post some wood working stuff too.

The ol' disappearing act...

This brazing job was a mess!

Hammer time!

A new cylinder...

I don't remember which one of the large loop levers he said he made. I'm guessing the middle one. But that's just a guess. Could be he made the two outside ones. I don't remember

Somebody wanted some scope rings that the manufacturer no longer offered...

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Some pics that focus more on wood working

Stock work in process. I've found more pics of this build. I'll post more later...

A couple of shotguns he did...

Ruger No. 1 he did a while back...

Here's more on the shotguns pictured above...

More on the whole custom stock process. Not everything. He doesn't show his bedding work but he's no slouch there either. Sorry if some pics order out of order. They uploaded to Imgur that way

Pretty sure these are from this build. Below that should be the completed rifle

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

A master at his craft. Your pride is more than justified. Thanks for posting.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

That's some really pretty work. Thanks.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Very nice work! In my parts its getting hard to find someone does restoration work.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Incredible work!
Josh