Lost Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Lost Knives

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I can't seem to keep track of my stuff all of a sudden. This hasn't really been a problem long term, but recently it's been a real thing for me.

I have apparently lost my DF2 in G10 earlier this week, as I couldn't find it this morning. :mad: It's either somewhere around the house, or it dropped out of my pocket at work on Tuesday. Hopefully around the house...

And then over Labor Day, I lost a flashlight while camping.
:mad:

And finally, over the summer, I lost my DF2 in H1 in Beaver Lake when I had it unsecured in a cargo pocket while water skiing.

At least on the H1 one, I knew exactly what happened to it and it was my own fault. And I knew it wouldn't turn back up. The G10 DF2 and the flashlight I don't know exactly what happened, and consequent I'm constantly "looking" for them and expecting them to turn up. The G10 DF2 has only been gone a few days, so it may yet turn up. But I hate losing things, especially when I'm not sure what exactly happened to them.

I'm sure you all can relate, but needed to get my frustration out. Fortunately, I've got other DFs, but not exact duplicates of the lost knives. Ugh.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Lost Knives

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I lost my Southard the first week I had it. I hadn't even carried out of the house yet. It was in the couch for a couple of months until I found it looking for a remote control. I live in gym shorts and sweatpants and sometimes carry loose in a pocket which comes with its risks. I usually carry IWB when bummin' around in my lazy clothes but if I have my hands full I will sometimes just drop it in the pocket when I am done cutting something. I also lost my Cruwear Military once and had to retrace my steps until I found it clipped to be seatbelt of a forklift I had been driving earlier. Both were stressful experiences for sure.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
osprey

Post by osprey »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I also lost my Cruwear Military once and had to retrace my steps until I found it clipped to be seatbelt of a forklift I had been driving earlier. Both were stressful experiences for sure.
This has happened to me frequently enough that I now instinctively check my pockets and seat belt whenever getting up from driving the fork truck.
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I lost my Southard the first week I had it. I hadn't even carried out of the house yet. It was in the couch for a couple of months until I found it looking for a remote control. I live in gym shorts and sweatpants and sometimes carry loose in a pocket which comes with its risks. I usually carry IWB when bummin' around in my lazy clothes but if I have my hands full I will sometimes just drop it in the pocket when I am done cutting something. I also lost my Cruwear Military once and had to retrace my steps until I found it clipped to be seatbelt of a forklift I had been driving earlier. Both were stressful experiences for sure.
I've had my seatbelt lift both my knife and my flashlight out of my pockets on separate occasions. Quite the unpleasant surprise when they show up missing and the last thing you remember is putting it in your pocket in the morning. Especially the first time it happens. No idea that was something I needed to worry about. :confused:
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Lost my Kris a few months ago. Really miss that knife. I knew i was taking a chance every time I carried it but i did it anyway. I'm slowly losing hope that I'll find it and i can't afford the $300+ price most are asking now. Hoping for a sprint one day.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

**** Vashhash that's rough losing a Kris
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I rarely lose things but I did lose an nearly new Atlantic Salt when I jumped into a lake from the rocky cliff shoreline. It was clipped to my shorts and popped off when I impacted the water.
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This used to be my rational for not buying expensive knives. I've gotten a lot better with it because I have a system. I use an "EDC bowl" that sits on my desk and I dump my pockets into it each day, otherwise my knives stay in their boxes and if I rotate one out the old one goes into its box. I managed to hang on to a cheap razor tap knife for 16 years this way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Capt'n Boatsalot

Ah perspectives. I am very fortunate that none of my loses have not been particularly rare or unique models. Thanks all for the replies. I hope that I did not dredge up too many poor memories. That Kris would be rough though!

Spent a little time today searching likely areas, but without success.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I lost two of the SE USN Hawkbill Ladybugs last summer. I really came to like the knife, but just can't seem to hold on to them.

I really need a clip to keep knives where they are supposed to be.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Spydergirl88 wrote:**** Vashhash that's rough losing a Kris
Yeah one of my favorite knives too.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Only knifes I seem to lose are the ones my wife and boys decide they need more than I do. :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Capt'n Boatsalot

farnorthdan wrote:Only knifes I seem to lose are the ones my wife and boys decide they need more than I do. :D
This was actually my first thought. My wife usually grabs a dragonfly to open packages. But she also usually puts it back when done. Apparently unlike myself... :mad:
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I just lost a pen, gift from office folks in the office when attending 2 meetings. I couldn't retrace back where /whom borrowed it. :confused: It's really bad when memory starts to fail :o .
Chris :spyder:
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Lost a Tasman Salt at a job and never found it back.
Almost lost a SS Dfly to found it clipped to a swimming bag. :confused:
"Lost" a Military in the coach of my best buddy. :eek:

Furthermore I snagged numerous knives out of my pocket by the seat belt of my car. :(

That's the reason I hardly clip anymore and have removed the clip from almost all of my Spydies. :)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

"Lost"as in "stolen" counts ? Recently burglers broke into my house and I "lost" half of my collection more or less :mad: Plus seven NIB Sebenzas.Lucky for me they left my beloved Cruwear Millie but they took my M390 Para2 grail.These days I still mourn.I only wish they try again when I'm home with my 12 gauge shotgun nearby :eek:

Marius
RunnersLunge

Post by RunnersLunge »

Good luck with the insurance claims Elena86, that's miserable.

While it does not guarantee accidents will not occur in losing or misplacing items I can only suggest developing a very standard routine and overall system. My overall carry location of EDC items never changes regardless of apparel. Pen/Flashlight RFP, Knife IWB usually 4 ocklock, phone LFP ( never anything else with phone b/c screen).

The problem is when the morning waking up routine or night putting items up routine is disrupted by a mid day change of clothes somewhere outside of home. Then being an overall organized person is the way to go where you are conscious of your items and locations. Just as with anything putting an item where it goes - even then life happens.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have lost a few knives over the years. Nowadays, I keep everything in the same place in my pockets. Everything has an assigned place, so if something is not there, I know it. I also do not use clips on knives very often because they can be snagged and come out.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Had an original Viele SE stolen at a cookout. Loaned it to the host to open frozen beef packages, he left it out next to his grill and - poof- gone.

VashHash: I happen to know a guy who's selling a Kris. PM me if you like. Matter of fact, he's selling a lot of Spydies. If there is interest, I'll post his list.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Excellent news! My G10 DF2 has been found! It was in a pocket of a bag. Not sure how it got there, but real happy that I found it.