CTS-XHP??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

CTS-XHP??

Post by jdw »

I picked up a good deal on a Hungarian a few weeks ago and I have really enjoyed
the slicing ability of the knife; which leads me to ask why there aren't more models
available in CTS-XHP? It seems like a pretty good steel.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
elena86

Re: CTS-XHP??

Post by elena86 »

".... pretty good steel... " ? It's one of the best stainless steels out there.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Domino (plus at least 2 sprints), Dice, Chaparral (4x models), Techno, Slysz Bowie, Hungarian, Foundry, and sprint runs in the Military, Manix 2, PM2 (I may be forgetting some here).

There aren't a huge pile of them, but there is a fairly diverse group of knives in the steel. One common theme: they're all either sprints or fairly higher-end models. I think they bought a big batch of XHP from Carpenter when it was newer and more expensive/premium. Now, when it's less expensive, it would probably be used in the models using S30V, and I bet they have a LOT of S30V in stock and/or a really great deal with Crucible for it.

I'd love to see more XHP models; I really like it on my Techno and Chaparral (carrying today!). It would be nice to have it as another option for production knives in that price tier. That'd be pretty easy I think for the Taichung knives (Sages in XHP?) since they're already using Carpenter's BD1, and I've heard they're sending S30V to Japan so maybe XHP too. The trick would be the Golden knives. They currently have two Crucible production lines (S30V, S110V), but they also have Carpenter models in BD1 (UKPK, Manix, Pygmy Warrior if it's still in production), as well as the new Maxamet models (if those are actual production, and not sprint/limited).
I dunno. Would folks want to see the Golden BD1 or S30V models in XHP as well? Would that even be feasible for Spyderco to do ?
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

jdw wrote:I picked up a good deal on a Hungarian a few weeks ago and I have really enjoyed
the slicing ability of the knife; which leads me to ask why there aren't more models
available in CTS-XHP? It seems like a pretty good steel.
I also like XHP just fine, but pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell it vs S30V in a blind cutting test. Maybe long term sharpening I could tell.

However, the slicing ability of the knife is dependent on the blade/edge geometry, not the composition of the steel.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I think it's one of those things where there are so many solid options, even really nice steels can get overlooked or lost in the shuffle a bit, though as mentioned it does seem XHP gets a fair amount of representation.

Based on my use with the B70P mule though for instance, I think it may be about perfect for what I'm looking for in a folder or small fixed blade, but it garnered very little attention or "buzz," so I fear it may languish in obscurity :(

(To Tvenuto's point, I haven't attempted any controlled testing, so I wouldn't claim with any confidence that my impressions on B70P are "solid" or that I could tell it apart from s30v or XHP or Elmax, etc... in a blind taste test :) It just seems to sharpen to a screaming edge very easily and hold a nice edge for me.)
:spyder:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea I have a mule in B-75P and there was barely a whisper about it afterward. Again, I don't think I could really tell the difference, but it's strange the mules that fizzled vs the ones that didn't. I guess it's not totally strange, given the current preference for tool/high carbide steels.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

My latest acquisition is a KnifeCenter exclusive Native in XHP and I'm loving it thus far :D I'm glad Spyderco's line-up of knives in XHP is still growing; it's a great steel and I'm sure we'll see plenty of sprints/models with this steel in the future :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I like CTS-XHP also, especially on my Slysz Bowie, seems to hold an edge well and is a breeze to sharpen, would also like to see a few more pieces with this steel.
Last edited by farnorthdan on Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jdw,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I'm sure this is pretty complicated.
Ankerson's edge retention list on BF has xhp, B75p, Elmax, S30v, and psf27 all pretty close on edge retention. I guess you then factor in ease of heat treat, cost of material, cost to work the steel, stain resistance, toughness, and maybe ease of obtaining the steel. Somewhere in there, S30v comes out on top. And XHP not far behind. I have several mules and like them all. Sometimes it really is hard to tell if one is better than another. I will keep cutting, sharpening, and beating on them to make up my mind if one if better than another.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

CTS-XHP is a wonderful steel. I really like it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

CTS XHP is a great all-around steel. S30V I really don't like because it doesn't take as nice of an edge from my experience with it. I don't find S90V that much more difficult to sharpen and it holds an edge far longer than S30V. Just not impressed with it.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am not a steel nut. Only only twice in my life I bought knives to try new for me steel. But I heard a lot of nice things about XHP and certainly will buy Native5 with this steel to try.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I'm another huge fan of XHP! Some of my favorite knives use this steel. Come on, who doesn't like an edge like this?

Another great example of Josh's work at Razor Edge Knives :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

DutchBlades wrote:My latest acquisition is a KnifeCenter exclusive Native in XHP and I'm loving it thus far :D I'm glad Spyderco's line-up of knives in XHP is still growing; it's a great steel and I'm sure we'll see plenty of sprints/models with this steel in the future :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Right now I have two Sprint Run C-36 Military models that I dearly adore. Yes one of them is the brown handled, CTS-XHP version and the other is my hallowed M390 model which has gained my respect to the point to where it is my #1 EDC at this time. Albeit the XHP model is a great version of the Military model. When I got mine I bought two of the XHP and sold one to my boss and he still uses his and very much loves his XHP version.

I will admit that I like the M390 slightly better but I like XHP at lot better than most of the Sprint Run, C36 Military models. I've had a feeling for a long time that XHP would make a great steel for Spyderedges but so far I haven't heard of any of Spyderco's SE models available in XHP :spyder: But I truly believe with it's superb properties of toughness that it would make a great steel for Spyderedges IMO.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Have a Manix2 I have been EDCing in it. Good stuff!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

DutchBlades wrote:My latest acquisition is a KnifeCenter exclusive Native in XHP and I'm loving it thus far :D I'm glad Spyderco's line-up of knives in XHP is still growing; it's a great steel and I'm sure we'll see plenty of sprints/models with this steel in the future :)
Did you notice that KnifeCenter now has an exclusive tan Manix 2 Lightweight in XHP? Supposed to ship around Octoberr 3. I went ahead and ordered one. Sure, the lightweight Manix2 with S110V might hold an edge a bit longer, but there's nothing wrong with XHP, and who can resist another knife the color of milk chocolate? :)
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

rodloos wrote:
Did you notice that KnifeCenter now has an exclusive tan Manix 2 Lightweight in XHP? Supposed to ship around Octoberr 3. I went ahead and ordered one. Sure, the lightweight Manix2 with S110V might hold an edge a bit longer, but there's nothing wrong with XHP, and who can resist another knife the color of milk chocolate? :)
I saw it pop up in another thread and I'd love one :D
Sadly the import costs combined with the shipping costs are a bit insane... :(
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

As I understand it, CTS XHP is like a stainless powdered steel D2. Or better yet like a CPM D2 with more chromium. The "recipe" has been around since the 80's known as 440XH.

I've had plenty models run through my hands and have regular users in my lineup (Chaparrals and Techno). It's a little temperamental for me during sharpening until I go back to my DMT's. I have taken it to a highly polished edge with some effort though (Im not that good or patient). Overall I'm fairly happy with XHP especially considering the price point it commands.