A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
40mm

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Post by 40mm »

Mr. Glesser any update from the R&D meeting in regards to a possible clipped Manbug?
Appreciate you considering the idea either way!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi 40mm,

We haven't had a complete R&D meeting for weeks. Between show schedules,holidays and vacation schedules this time of year, someone is always missing. Even if/when we do reach a conclusion, it will take some time to develop a clip for the Manbug/Ladybug.

sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Just to keep ideas alive, here is my crude but effective waved, clipped Ladybug. The clip was made by soldering a clip from a pen onto the head of a screw run through the lanyard hole and secured with a nut on the other side.

Kinda ugly, but it works.
sal

Post by sal »

I have a design for a single wire, but mfr is difficult, so it's been "oh hold" a number of times.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

double tap

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

sal wrote:I have a design for a single wire, but mfr is difficult, so it's been "oh hold" a number of times.

sal
Would the single wire clip still be attached with screws or by another method? Either way, this sounds very good.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Cool idea! And keeping is Japanese built with the Pilot pen clip!
yablanowitz wrote:Just to keep ideas alive, here is my crude but effective waved, clipped Ladybug. The clip was made by soldering a clip from a pen onto the head of a screw run through the lanyard hole and secured with a nut on the other side.

Kinda ugly, but it works.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Thanks for the response Sal. I am just blown away that there is a company where product suggestions are actually considered by the owner! Amazing!
Read through the whole thread where Jazz suggested a wharncliffe delica and is now holding that vision in his hand and using it at work. Completely incredible. Quite a company. By the way I have a grey Delica 4 arriving tomorrow. Can't wait.
sal wrote:I have a design for a single wire, but mfr is difficult, so it's been "oh hold" a number of times.

sal
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I love this idea! This would be very handy for in-car use or any time when you can't get to your pockets without a struggle. I've been wanting a <1 oz clipped shirt pocket knife for years. The D-fly can drag the pocket down a bit and I don't like lanyards or danglie things on my knives. The clip could be optional -- nobody would be forced to use one ;) -- Spyder-variety is a wonderful thing. The current LBKs could stay the same, or some could have optional clips. The one-wire design sounds great, or the D-fly clip or one slightly smaller.

I think it could develop into a new LBK or two designed more with shirt pocket carry in mind, maybe Squeak-like or Balance-like, though a bilaterally symmetrical (edit: speaking of the FRN view of course) handle might be good. I'd like the idea of keeping it for very light utility rather than potential SD, in the lighthearted spirit of the Ladybug, Manbug, etc.

Great prototype, Yablanowitz :D
Last edited by DougC-3 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I still don't like it. Don't mess with my favorite little knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I love the idea of a light shirt pocket clipped knife. Great place that's easy to reach in an emergency, and we've seen what a Manbug can do. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Doc Dan wrote:I still don't like it. Don't mess with my favorite little knife.
IMVHO I don't think Sal & Co would let the original Manbug be dropped from the lineup... too much tradition, including its place in the Super Blue, ZDP-189, and HAP40 runs. I think the bolstered G-10 version has been popular -- some people really love it, so maybe a "Clipbug" could just be another separate variant. Or maybe the design would be altered enough for it to be a whole different model. It's pretty clear that a lot of people don't want anybody messing with their Manbugs :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Just "modded" my SB D-Fly for lanyard hole clip, shirt pocket deep carry :D & ordered a HAP40 Manbug for same :p
Thanx for the inspiration, DedRok :spyder:

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:I still don't like it. Don't mess with my favorite little knife.
I'm with you on this one Doc!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I was thinking about putting a Dragonfly clip on a Manbug, looked into it a bit, and found this thread. How has it worked for those of you that tried it? I don't want to mess up a really nice little knife. I've certainly broken things that needed no fixing enough times.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

cabfrank wrote:I was thinking about putting a Dragonfly clip on a Manbug, looked into it a bit, and found this thread. How has it worked for those of you that tried it? I don't want to mess up a really nice little knife. I've certainly broken things that needed no fixing enough times.
I did it, using a very narrow file to recess the clip wires on either side of the lanyard hole. (You can see the end of the file in the pic in my post above.) I think it worked well, but I was impatient and got a little sloppy filing the slots. I had done the same thing to my Super Blue Dragonfly so it would ride lower in my shirt pocket. I found that, for my usual uses, the Manbug is a little small and I switched back to the Dragonfly. Ideally, I'd like to have something between the two in size (just for shirt pocket use -- I think the D-fly is perfect as is for other uses). Also, if I decide to use the Manbug routinely with the clip, I'll grind a small smooth area where it contacts the scale so it won't be overly grippy on my pocket.

Last edited by DougC-3 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

double post
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

They look really good. Thanks for the info. I was actually just thinking today that I'd love to get something in between the two sizes as well. Maybe there will be a new model down the road.
hank_612

Post by hank_612 »

i would buy a couple man bugs if they had some form of deep carry clip.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

THREAD REVIVAL!!! Since getting another Manbug (as well as my first Dragonfly) I am really enjoying carrying and using these little big knives. I still don't want to let the possibility of a clipped Manbug die. I think it would make the coolest mini knife I've ever used even cooler. And the purists could always remove the clip if it bugs them. Sal any more info on the possibility of a Manbug with a wire clip?
Last edited by 40mm on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.