Show your Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Xplorer

Re: Show your Mule

Post by Xplorer »

After getting sheaths done for my Maxamet Mules I finally got a chance to get one of them onto the trail with me. I attached my Peter Carey Firecracker to the sheath just to see if it would work out riding piggy-back on my Mule sheath.

These pics are from a hike/swim :p I did last week in the Oneonta Gorge in Oregon.

I had to wade chest-deep through a long pool in order to reach the last waterfall. You can see I carry my Mule in my right pack-pocket.

I know this last one isn't a Mule pic..but it was the turnaround point for this hike and I thought you might like to see it. I liked it so much I went straight out into the pool and swam around at the base of the falls. I saw fish everywhere and my GoPro footage showed me that there were at least 8 12"-14" trout swimming with me :D :D .

See you out there!! :D
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Frunkey

Post by Frunkey »

Awesome post Xplorer!

I just got my sheath done too! Check out the YouTube video I just made for it!

https://youtu.be/kL5rxND-5JM

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Going back to Caly.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Mule MT01 / 52100 steel (acid treatment with citric acid) and halpern titanium option 4 scales (natural canvas micarta)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Steel_Drake

Post by Steel_Drake »

I guess I'll cross-post these from the Maxamet Mule thread:

Done freehand with Sigma Power Select II stones (1,000 -> 3,000 -> 10,000 -> 13,000)

These were taken with some stropping on top of the above:
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I received a most awesome gift from my friend farnorthdan! To honor this awesome gift of kindness I finished it with handle and a sheath. Thanks to the amazingly kind gesture from Dan this is without question my sentimental favorite knife.

THANK YOU DAN!! :D :D :D :D

Chad
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

This is a Mule handle I made for a forum member about a month ago. He sent me a block of wood that he wanted to use and said I could do whatever I wanted to add a splash of color.

I wanted to add some color and visual interest to the handle while allowing the beauty of the wood to be the main focus.

I kept the wood with me for about a week and looked at it regularly. Finally I decided I was seeing tones of orange and black in the wood and I would use those colors as accents. I experimented with a bunch of options until I decided to go with a chevron design that I would make from G10 and natural micarta.

Here's a little glimpse into the process for making the inlay...

....after final shaping, finish sanding, boiled linseed oil finish and a coat of orange oil/beeswax.

Chad :) :spyder:
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Wow, phenomenal work!
I really like the chevron! Great process photos, also!

Even the grain around that center pin has very pleasing lines!
Going back to Caly.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I continue to be stunned by your visions and quality...

Just spectacular!
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

Chad, excellent work! The mule turned out absolutely stunnig.

JonesE
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

SpeedHoles wrote:...Even the grain around that center pin has very pleasing lines!
:) The piece of Vera wood (Argentine lignum vitae) was really nice. It had an incredibly tight grain pattern. The layers in the grain have a nice contrast. Straight lines in the block turn into really nice curves once the handle is contoured. It made me want to make more wood handles in the near future. :D
mattman wrote:I continue to be stunned by your visions and quality...

Just spectacular!
Thank you for the kind words mattman! :)
JonesE wrote:Chad, excellent work! The mule turned out absolutely stunning.

JonesE
Thank you JonesE! :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Keep up the good work Chad, always great to see your new creations.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

farnorthdan wrote:Keep up the good work Chad, always great to see your new creations.
Thank you buddy! I hope your Mule is working well for you.

Best regards,
Chad
brandonawadis

Post by brandonawadis »

Image In love with this one :)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Good joke .. try it again with a Mule ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
OakTree

Post by OakTree »

Xplorer wrote:I received a most awesome gift from my friend farnorthdan! To honor this awesome gift of kindness I finished it with handle and a sheath. Thanks to the amazingly kind gesture from Dan this is without question my sentimental favorite knife.
Chad
What is this gorgeous honeycomb material?
Do you have any pics of your handle making process?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

OakTree wrote:
Xplorer wrote:I received a most awesome gift from my friend farnorthdan! To honor this awesome gift of kindness I finished it with handle and a sheath. Thanks to the amazingly kind gesture from Dan this is without question my sentimental favorite knife.
Chad
Its called C-tek, looks awesome, Chad did such a nice job on mine, its one of my most prized pieces :)

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

OakTree wrote:
Chad
Like Dan said, it's Ctek.
I have hundreds of "WIP" pics.
If there's something specific you'd like to see or know about just let me know and I'll post a pic and an explanation for you. :)
Best regards.
Chad
farnorthdan wrote: Its called C-tek, looks awesome, Chad did such a nice job on mine, its one of my most prized pieces :)
Thanks Dan, :) It feels nice to see that pic of your Mule. I spent so much time with that handle in my hands, my shop, my mind.. that seeing it now feels like I'm seeing a long lost child or something. It's good to see it looks healthy :p . Be well my friend!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Thanks Chad, it truly is a cherished knife, I've been carrying it as a neck piece on the weekends, get lots of complements when people notice it. It really is stunning in person, the workmanship is top notch my friend.

OakTree

Post by OakTree »

Xplorer wrote: If there's something specific you'd like to see or know about just let me know and I'll post a pic and an explanation for you. :)
I want to know everything. If you had a video of you making the scales I'd totally watch it.
In one image you have separate blocks of C-tek, copper, and carbon fibre. In the next image it's all one piece, in the shape of the handle. What happened in between?