If a Walking Dead type Zombie Apocalypse came,

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
arty

Post by arty »

War hammers were designed to get through armor and chain mail. I would want a Gladius or Pinuti, or similar short sword as a backup to a firearm.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I'd have to go with my Cruwear Military because it's pretty much my favorite for every day tasks. That's why I carry it.

But if we're talking self defense against zombies, I'll still take it because it would do well in slitting my own wrists before the zombies could get to me. I'm not fighting them with a folder. I'm thinking a bolo style machete with at least an 18" blade. I like the idea of blunt force weapons as well. Guns run out of ammo...
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: If a Walking Dead type Zombie Apocalypse came,

Post by Mad Mac »

This is an old thread but a good one. The OP said which Spyderco folder and why. Of the 62 previous posts, I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Starmate. Bob Terzuola is considered to be the originator of the tactical folder and literally wrote the book on Tactical Folders. A thick, VG-10, 3.75 inch spear point blade and strong liner lock: What's not to like ?

In the druthers category, also not mentioned was a fighting stick, hiking stick or cane. At my age, those would be useful.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Can't keep a good zomby thread down!!! ;) :rolleyes: :p
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Probably the Police 3. It is a large, solid, workhorse of a knife.

I wouldn't use a folder as my primary weapon against zombies, but a good practical folder can help you make some sharpened stakes or other primitive weapons.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Holland

Post by Holland »

GB2.

I would bring a skidsteer or loader too :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
MacLaren

Re:

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:For zombie killing, no doubt about it I'd go with the Vallotton. That knife was built for stabbing zombie skulls. I'd find something else for food prep.
Oh hell yes! Vallotton! You could put that baby thru a car door lol...
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Frankly, using any knife, folder or fixed blade, to stab a muncher in the head, ice pick style, seems like a low percentage plan.
It requires one to offer one's forearm as a snack while the walker merely has to tilt his or her head back to take a bite.

That's why I followed Glenn's example and bought a Woodman's Pal.
Handier than a Samurai sword, it can be carried on a belt yet big enough to keep one's distance.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:Frankly, using any knife, folder or fixed blade, to stab a muncher in the head, ice pick style, seems like a low percentage plan.
It requires one to offer one's forearm as a snack while the walker merely has to tilt his or her head back to take a bite.

That's why I followed Glenn's example and bought a Woodman's Pal.
Handier than a Samurai sword, it can be carried on a belt yet big enough to keep one's distance.
Lol....yeah...if I had my druthers Id use a machine gun of some sort. But were talkin about Spydies :D
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

K2 :)
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Manix 2 XL...no doubt about it.
Molle Ninja

Re:

Post by Molle Ninja »

btron wrote:Pingo!
The black, orange, or Ti version?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

For a folder, I'll take something care-free and useful all around for the Apocalyptic scenario

making tent stakes, spikes and feathersticks, cutting flesh and food, opening and cutting bed mats, plastic, containers, scrapyard materials and stuff while wandering around

If I can take a fixed blade, something all-purpose and sturdy enough will fit the bill

most likely this one

SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I'm thinking a crow bar and myrtle.
Maybe half dozen mules for back up.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

S110v Yojimbo 2, so it doesn't get dull as I cut my way through the horde.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am afraid I would not choose a Spyderco folder :( They are too short. I would choose a Cold Steel Rajah II with a 6" blade and a very long handle. I would want as much room between me and the drooling zombie as possible.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TheArchitect

Post by TheArchitect »

Folder: Original Lionspy
Fixed: Rock Salt Orange frn
25 :spyder:'s and counting
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

I forgot we had this Scottish Dirk. The 13-inch blade should help keep them at a distance.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm sorry but no folder over even spydie fixed blade has anything on my dahong palay for taking off a limb or a head.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, the OP asked for a folder or I would have provided a fixed blade. Better, I would opt for a 12 Ga. or a Marlin Guide Gun (something dead reliable. A semi-auto can get fouled at the wrong time).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050