Manix 2 G10 CQI?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Manix 2 G10 CQI?

Post by awa54 »

Has anyone purchased a standard G10 Manix since the release of the blurple S110V version? I'm wondering if all G10 Manix are going to have skeletonized liners going forward, or if the "basic" will keep the solid liners (and the extra ounce of weight).
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Donut

Re: Manix 2 G10 CQI?

Post by Donut »

I don't think so, the idea of the production Manix 2 is to keep the cost as low as possible (within reason). Lightening the liners will add some cost.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Donut wrote:I don't think so, the idea of the production Manix 2 is to keep the cost as low as possible (within reason). Lightening the liners will add some cost.
I'd think that the economy of having a single part to stock for all models might outweigh the slight savings of running the laser cutter and parts tumbler a a little shorter time for the solid liners. It may be a little sweetener to make the more costly models more attractive as well?
-David

Donut

Post by Donut »

I don't know how much it would impact the price. It would be interesting to see skeletonized as an option.

This is an extreme example, but I do know that the Chaparral 3 has a $500+ MSRP because of the extra "machine time" it takes to cut the scales.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If they offered it with skeletonized scales at the same price I would me very impressed. Seems like I recall reading that they already sell this knife for a very small profit, so additional cost to the manufacturing process will only make that worse. Then again, if the S110V version is indeed standard production, it may well be a rolling change.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RichWentFishing504

Post by RichWentFishing504 »

Whenever they do this I'm gonna get a few more. Definitely worth the weight savings.
TN.Frank

Post by TN.Frank »

I just got one of the Manix 2 G-10 versions with S30V steel a few days ago on our 3point5 program and it still has the solid liners. I think only the Sprint Runs will have the skeletonized liners for now but who knows, if enough of us say something maybe Spyderco will give all the Manix 2's skeletonized liners.
:eek:
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I find the difference in balance very noticeable and only buy skeletonized ones because of it. If they start using the same scales as the S110v I would be impressed. Given the price that the XL used to go for before MAP I think this would be possible.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The regular production Manix 2 was my first Spydie and at that time I really liked the heft and balance of the full liners, but now, after using many different models, I strongly prefer the skeletonized liners and would like even a little more lightening, but not quite as much as in the FRCP models. I like the lt-wt models, but not as much as the G-10's, which are probably my second favorite platform, after the XL.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You guys can just be like me and skeletonize your own liners, if you have enough determination and self hatred to get it done lol.
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Evil D wrote:You guys can just be like me and skeletonize your own liners, if you have enough determination and self hatred to get it done lol.
Now if Spyderco skeletonizes liners the way you did it, I can see why it would be cost prohibitive to skeletonize the base model! ;)

I was thinking of just doing three large drill holes in my M2 liners to lighten them, but haven't gotten around to it...
-David

dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Donut wrote:I don't know how much it would impact the price. It would be interesting to see skeletonized as an option.

This is an extreme example, but I do know that the Chaparral 3 has a $500+ MSRP because of the extra "machine time" it takes to cut the scales.
You're right about extra machine time, but that's not quite a comparable situation. That's some fine machining on the outer surface of the handle, and it's Titanium which is harder to machine than steel. These would be just steel liners with holes machined in them; that's going to be a good bit easier to machine than the Chaparral.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Evil D wrote:You guys can just be like me and skeletonize your own liners, if you have enough determination and self hatred to get it done lol.
I started into this project based on your post. I make some knives from scratch, and it was tough enough that I gave up on the skeletonizing. Even getting the first hole to drill, dulled a new bit and required repeated application of cutting oil (though my press is less than ideal for steel, too weak and too fast). Might be my technique, but I broke 3 carbide side-cutting metal bits trying to widen the first hole. Good reminder of why to wear goggles in the shop.

It sure gave me an appreciation for the toughness of these liners. Im convinced they would be the last point of failure on the knife.
Here is my manix. Probably top 2-3 in my collection. Ceramic ball bearing mod, new scales made by me.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Hey, that Ctek really looks good!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

awa54 wrote:
Now if Spyderco skeletonizes liners the way you did it, I can see why it would be cost prohibitive to skeletonize the base model! ;)

I was thinking of just doing three large drill holes in my M2 liners to lighten them, but haven't gotten around to it...

If you have access to a drill press I would give it a shot, but using a hand drill may be hazardous to your health lol.
~David
v8r

Post by v8r »

It makes more sense to me to be able to use the same liners all across the board instead of inventorying two separate parts.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I hate to rain on everyone's parade but haven't you guys noticed the difference in MSRP between the S110V and standard Manix 2's?

Standard - $164.95

S110V - $228.95

Could be the difference in steel cost, could also be the additional cost of machining the scales. I like the argument about it making sense to only have one part in stock, but mostly because it makes me feel better about wanting them to all be skeletonized. This wouldn't be the first time a single model had many different parts available to it (steel type variants, DLC variants, SE/PE variants, scale color variants, all the various Sage's, Mantra 1/2, not to mention the slew of Kiwis and Kopas that had various parts...it's a big list). Could just be something they chose to do to make the S110V model more special. If not I would expect to see the standard Manix 2 increase in price unless that increase is solely due to the difference in cost between S30V and S110V, but it seems way too coincidental that the more expensive knife also has skeletonized liners.
~David
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Ive handled and carried the S110v manix for a few days. Borrowed it from a friend. And I can honestly say I prefer the heft of the Full liners. Could be that im accustomed to it, or maybe its just my love of hefty folders. I do much prefer the cutting ability of the S110v though. Absolutely adored it and made me wanna swap my dlc blade for the s110 :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I prefer the weight balance of the solid liners but overall prefer the lighter weight of skeletonized liners. With solid liners the weight is shifted more into your hand which can make using the knife feel more nimble (think of how a scalpel is weighted more towards the handle than the blade) but this is something I don't think the casual user will even notice let alone care about. On my custom Manix it's really noticeable since the handle is even lighter than a factory skeletonized knife.

Oddly enough I'm thankful this knife had solid liners or else I wouldn't have been able to make my Manix the way I wanted it. If the Para 2 had solid liners and I could do similar mods to the handle I may actually prefer the Para over the Manix but factory skeletonized liners make it more difficult to do what I did.
~David