First spyderco, kinda disappointed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

Re: First spyderco, kinda disappointed

Post by paladin »

I used some cleanser that had added bleach...that put several "needle points of rust" like what you describe on my Caly Jr. VG10...however, it sounds like you didn't use anything with bleach...could it have accidentally come in touch with any bleach?
Bucket

Post by Bucket »

If I'm not mistaken wd40 is water disperser. This can actually lead to rust is some cases because it pushes the water into the tiny low spots and then sits over the top it and traps any moisture leaving you you pin spots. I use tuf glide or rem oil. Rem oil is used to keep your 2000+ dollar guns safe from rust and it does that. Exactly why you don't rub your barrel or any other parts down with wd40 and expect it to stay pristine
tetraodon

Post by tetraodon »

Bucket wrote:If I'm not mistaken wd40 is water disperser. This can actually lead to rust is some cases because it pushes the water into the tiny low spots and then sits over the top it and traps any moisture leaving you you pin spots. I use tuf glide or rem oil. Rem oil is used to keep your 2000+ dollar guns safe from rust and it does that. Exactly why you don't rub your barrel or any other parts down with wd40 and expect it to stay pristine
I use wd40 regularly for keeping rust off my straight razor, and used it on my type 99 arisaka rifle. Your argument makes total sense though. I'll see what spyderco says as I sent the knives out the other day. But I'm open to other options so we will see.
Bucket

Post by Bucket »

You don't have any issues with wd40 and your gun? I had a major pitting on an old side by side 410 and the gun smith told me about wd40 doing what it does. I assume there is gives and takes with every product out there. **** maybe I was doing something wrong haha. But anyways I hope spyderco resolves the issue for you and you end up getting addicted like everyone else though lol
tetraodon

Post by tetraodon »

Final update sent my knives in and got them back, they were cleaned and the rust removed, the informed me the only steel that is guaranteed not to rust is h1. They also included some cleaning compound. I'll be carrying my knives agaim, we will see what happens.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Thanks for the update. I'm really curious as VG10 supposedly very rust resistance even compared to other stainless.
Chris :spyder:
tetraodon

Post by tetraodon »

anagarika wrote:Thanks for the update. I'm really curious as VG10 supposedly very rust resistance even compared to other stainless.
Been carrying the FRN scale for a week now and no rust so far. I'm thinking that this was a freak alignment of the stars since my EDC had some rust along with my kitchen knife. The time frame also very hot and humid, so the rust gods aligned.