BEST DISCO ??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BTG

BEST DISCO ??

Post by BTG »

OK...kinda curious. Out of the recently, or about to be discontinued, what do you all think will be the most sought after down the road.....K2..? chubby..? I'm not sure of everything that's going away, but the one I really have been trying to get extras of is the original Gayle Bradley..especially since I like better than it's newer version...but something I don't already own keeps pulling me away.
Cujobob

Re: BEST DISCO ??

Post by Cujobob »

Very possible, the Chubby. It's from a maker whose customs are very expensive and sought after. It's an LBK.

The K2 is probably a great knife but it's so big that I think it loses appeal to many folks. The Gayle Bradley is a great knife but all too similar to the second version.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Sage 4? is that too old? is it even considered "discontinued?" :confused:

so yeah, Sage 4...pretty coveted right now--- by me!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

K2 definitely hits all the bases: framelock, collab, "sexy" steel. But it really depends what future knives come out. For instance if they disco'd the original brown southard no one would bat an eye, since there is still the all-black version, and the positron, etc. If they do another collab with Farid, or another 10V, then I think the demand for original K2's would go down. I don't think the chubby will be super popular, it's definitely a polarizing design, but you never know.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Superhawk and original Starmate may not have been the best discos, but I wish I hadn't missed them.

EDIT: Misread the OP. How about the VG10 Caly 3.5?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Sage 4
Tuff
K2
Chokwe
Bradley
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
animportant

Post by animportant »

GB1 no contest
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Caly3, unless Sal will bring it back
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bh49 wrote:Caly3, unless Sal will bring it back
He said he is!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The standard VG10 Caly and Caly 3.5. They're just so close to perfect for most people's EDC who want something more refined than a Delica.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

animportant wrote:GB1 no contest
I love mine and, perhaps because I have one, was not alert to its demise and, so, didn't mention it. I'm glad you did.

I gather that some people with both the GB1 and GB2 actually prefer the original.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
delphidoc

Post by delphidoc »

GB1 and Caly
vivi

Post by vivi »

Anyone know if the szabo folder is getting axed? I'd like to pick up a spare before that day comes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:Anyone know if the szabo folder is getting axed? I'd like to pick up a spare before that day comes.
I'm curious what the verdict is with the changes to the compression lock that the Szabo received. I kind of expected the Sage 5 to have a similar "stop pin through the lock tab" construction but instead the extra pin is further down inside. I wonder if the Szabo will go down as the only compression lock to get this configuration?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Evil D wrote:The standard VG10 Caly and Caly 3.5. They're just so close to perfect for most people's EDC who want something more refined than a Delica.
I'd agree with that, and nothing matches the crazed rush I see for the Super Blue sprints of the Caly 3 and 3.5.

Another recently disco'd knife that's taken off into the stratosphere is the Tuff, which are near impossible to find at decent prices anymore.

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Thats one I had on my list RS and your right, on the secondary the Tuff is getting tough to find BNIB and when they do pop up your looking at 3 bills plus, still keeping my eyes peeled for one though, its one of those pieces I just sat on the fence too long for.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Hard to tell re. the recently disco'd ones.. my most sought after, well, some i have already, but still would be:
Sage 4
G10 Caly 3
All Kopas
Lum folding Tanto
Gayle Bradley 1
Superleaf
Superhawk
(in no particular order)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
kataphraktos

Post by kataphraktos »

Another Caly 3/3.5 vote here. My Caly 3.5 ZDP is one of those knives that will never fall out of my rotation, even as others come and go.

I'd pay a foolish amount for either one of these in HAP40.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Agreed about the GB1

Can't forget this beauty:

Would really like to see an updated version of this knife come back:

Really liked this guy:
animportant

Post by animportant »

abbazaba wrote:Agreed about the GB1

Can't forget this beauty:

Would really like to see an updated version of this knife come back:

Really liked this guy:
I think it's sad that the beautiful Sage 4 didn't get enough love to stay in production.

WAIT! Just saw who posted these pics. That Sage 4 :*/ ... nice shot man!!!