If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Brianv

Post by Brianv »

Hi, everyone. My name is Brian, I live in Fresno, CA. I have a Delica. My son has a Squeek and a PM2. I think my next Spyderco might be a Dragonfly. For my larger knife I'm debating between a PM2 and a Manix 2. I'm not a collector and I'm not really much of a knife nut just a user who appreciates a great knife. I'm very happy with the VG10 on the Delica.
remnar

Re: New member

Post by remnar »

Hi Brian, Welcome to the forum. The PM2 and Manix2 are both great knives. I prefer the Compression lock and ergos of the PM2, but many here really like their Manix 2s. Hopefully you can handle both before you make a choice. Good luck with the decision! :)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Welcome Brian!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum Brian!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Welcome to the forum Brian, good luck with your next purchase, I'm sure you won't be disappointed whichever you choose,
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome aboard, Brian! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum, Brian!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum Brian!
Brianv

Post by Brianv »

Thank you for the warm welcome, folks!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome Brian. You already have my favorite knife: the Delica.

Between the PM2 and the Manix 2 I think you should try to hold each one, if possible. I prefer the PM2 because of the blade design as I find it more useful. The Manix is a fine knife, but the blade is very wide so there are many things it cannot do well, in my experience.

You might also get an Endura for your collection at some point.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Greetings Brian!

What would your main use for a bigger knife be? I personally like both PM2 and Manix 2, but I would favor the Manix for rougher use. The Manix also has a harsher grip, due to all of the serration/jimping that stands proud of the handle scale edges, I've never gotten blisters from it, but could see that being a problem if you didn't have tough hands or gloves on during an extended use session. Another Manix vs. PM2 detail to consider is weight, even the Sprints and S110V G10 Manix (which have skeletonized liners) are heavier than a PM2 and the standard G10 Manix is much heavier.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Brian,
Welcome to the Forum
Brianv wrote: I'm not really much of a knife nut just a user who appreciates a great knife. I'm very happy with the VG10 on the Delica.
Joining the Forum is qualifying you as a knifenut. BTW, I love VG10.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

Welcome, Brian! :)

I live in the nicely small city of Bellaire, Texas, which is now surrounded by the sprawling Houston.

I am not a collector, either, but sure do manage to accumulate quite a few. ;) When I really like a knife, I tend to accumulate at least one spare, perhaps two, or even half a dozen. This is esecially true of the custom knife-maker collaboration models, which tend to remain in the line-up for a limited time.

My true EDC is the Spyderco Assist. There is no rotation; this one is carried daily. Second-most-carried is a Victorinox Swisstool, which is also carried most days. I also tend to have a pointed-blade on or about my person.

My only Delica is a blunt-tipped trainer.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the forum Brian! :)

If you're anything like the rest of us you'll end up with both and most likely a whole lot more! :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay Brian, Welcome to the forum.............Doc:)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You're not a knife nut yet. If you hang around here too long that'll change real fast. When I joined I was a one knife guy and never expected to own the amount of knives I have now. I'm also more of a user than a collector, but let me tell ya....you find uses for all those knives when you want them bad enough ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Welcome to the forum Brian, stick around and I'm sure you'll not only learn about knives but also lots of sharpening tips to keep you and your son's knives in tip top condition :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Brianv

Post by Brianv »

I really don't have a collectors heart. I don't collect anything, really. Between the Manix 2 and the PM 2 I'm leaning heavily towards the PM 2 as I'm familiar with it and it is in some ways a big Delica but stronger than the Endura. Spyderco in general seems to offer the most bang for the knife buying buck. With my Delica I've started stroping it every couple of days and I need to get a strop for my son, maybe for Christmas. I can't bring myself to rationalize spending more than the price of a PM 2. Again, thank you all for such a fine welcome. I did find the Spydiewiki site which I find interesting in terms of history. I do general house maintenance and serious DIY around our house. I most recently took out an exterior door to the rough door frame and put in a new door frame and hung a new door. Considering that my training was as a news still photographer I'm pretty happy with the project and the results!
STAK

Post by STAK »

:spyder: Brian welcome to the FORUM :) ... I own both para2 and manix2 in several variations ... IMHO you have to purchase them both ... They are excellent for EDC and other harder tasks but in a way that only one of them is not enough ... Para2 is more delicate but more of a user and manix2 is more robust for prying :eek: and whittling-carving ... I love and use them both, with a little more prefference towards para2 ;) ... :spyder:
Brianv

Post by Brianv »

Thanks, STAK. I'm just not inclined to buy both unless I find a deficiency in either the PM 2 or the Manix 2. I would actually be more inclined to get a more stout version of the Delica than the PM 2 or the Manix 2 as they are rather large and I'm not sure that size is warranted. Thank you for your input it is food for thought.