Why the Manix in Maxemet?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Why the Manix in Maxemet?

Post by abbazaba »

I think everyone hit the nail on the head with the production cost probably being Spyderco's motivator.
Evil D wrote:I know I'm gonna sound like a hater here, but not every new steel/sprint has to come in the form of a Para 2. If that were the only option, there would be a lot of steels I would never try out. Believe it or not, not everyone is in love with the Para 2.
+1

M4/CF combo is one of my favorites so I've been spending a lot of time recently revisiting the PM2 platform... Ultimately I still prefer both the Native or Manix (LW or skeletonized) over it IMHO. The Maxamet in a grey LW has me pretty stoked.
mattman

Post by mattman »

I wonder if these newer, harder steels make it into the Manix first because of the lock mechanism.... probably much easier to spec a properly hardened ball-bearing to match the steel, than the liner of of the para 2, or the Millie...

Gives them a bit of time to work that detail out...?

Pure speculation.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Meh, harder is harder. I don't think they're sufficiently harder(er) to make a difference, I'd be surprised if the BB on the maxamet lock is different than the BD-1 lock. If you remember, the CF dodo had a ceramic bearing lock, but that was purely for aesthetics.

Besides, the bearings on knife locks have the equivalent of govt desk jobs compared to the lives of other bearings in service.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Evil D wrote:I know I'm gonna sound like a hater here, but not every new steel/sprint has to come in the form of a Para 2. If that were the only option, there would be a lot of steels I would never try out. Believe it or not, not everyone is in love with the Para 2.
You and me both, brother. I've tried to love the PM2, and it just isn't happening. Same with the G-10 (well, actually the CF/S90V) Manix 2. I'm happy to see Maxamet in the LW Manix, and I'll be saving my pennies for when the Maxamet Military comes out.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had a good long run with the Para 2 but I've just found other knives that fit my hand better. I can also honestly say a large part of it was trying to understand what I was missing since the whole world seems obsessed with it. Aside from the improved pivot I would much rather have a Para 1 with a larger finger choil like they did with the Stretch.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I'll venture a guess. Maybe because they could cut more blades out of the billet of metal with the shape of the Manix 2.
that might be incorrect, but it's my guess.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Because putting super steels in affordable lightweight packages designed to be users is something that Spyderco does that sets them apart from the competition. They offer the most affordable knives in S110V and ZDP in the industry and now they gonna offer Maxamet in a knife for $160. While that may seem like a lot for a frn/frcp knife it is still way cheaper than any other knife offered in a steel like that. Even if another company decides to bring Maxamet to market they probably won't be able to do it for that price.
Darby hit it dead on here, as did a few others. If you think of super steel initial offerings from Golden, they often originate as Mules and/or then Manix 2s and Native 5s (hello S110V!). Most obviously there will be a PM2 and a Millie offered in it, that's a given, you'd have to be crazy to bet against those odds.

What hasn't been mentioned is that don't you think there's a possibility that super steel PM2s and Millies may be offered up as exclusive runs to various interested parties first? It's printing money for them, a no-brainer! If not, they'll arrive as sprints in 2017, or as standard runs even, and again they'll sell like hot cakes! Patience, young Jedi! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
mattman

Post by mattman »

tvenuto wrote:Meh, harder is harder. I don't think they're sufficiently harder(er) to make a difference, I'd be surprised if the BB on the maxamet lock is different than the BD-1 lock. If you remember, the CF dodo had a ceramic bearing lock, but that was purely for aesthetics.

Besides, the bearings on knife locks have the equivalent of govt desk jobs compared to the lives of other bearings in service.
I just mean vs the lock interface of a compression/liner lock... the bearing being the interface in the Manix makes it super easy, for all the reasons you said...
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

mattman wrote:I just mean vs the lock interface of a compression/liner lock... the bearing being the interface in the Manix makes it super easy, for all the reasons you said...
Ah I see what you're saying. Although I'd still bet they've never spec'd a different steel/HT for the liner in any previous PM2 due solely to a blade steel change.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tvenuto wrote:
mattman wrote:I just mean vs the lock interface of a compression/liner lock... the bearing being the interface in the Manix makes it super easy, for all the reasons you said...
Ah I see what you're saying. Although I'd still bet they've never spec'd a different steel/HT for the liner in any previous PM2 due solely to a blade steel change.
Based on how the two locks work I would bet that the tolerances have to be tighter on a compression lock than a cbbl.

Disclaimers:
* I'm not at all certain that what I just postulated is true.
** If it is true, I'm not sure it would have any bearing on them choosing to use a knife with the BBL first for a new steel.
*** Now that I look at (*) and (**) I'm wondering why I bothered to even respond...must be bored.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

The S110V LW Manix2 eventually turned into the Blurple G10 domestic S110V series.

I suspect we'll see something similar if the Maxemet LW Manix2 goes well.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm surprised that no one thinks this has to do with no availability of 4mm thick sheets of steel.

I bet the equipment they use to make the Paramilitaries are very busy with just S30V and S110V. When a dealer puts in for an Exclusive Paramilitary, there's a 9 month to year wait time. If we have a new steel, waiting a year to use it is probably a bad idea.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'm very happy to see the choice. This is gonna be great!
Going back to Caly.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

A few things. As far as the cost to this piece, from what I understand Sal mentioned somewhere that this was the most expensive steel they have bought to date. That on top of the extra expense in machining, grinding ect due to the high hardness and makeup of the steel, and there is another big part of the cost.

I actually prefer the lightweight Manix platform. Mainly because all the jimping on the g-10 version is to aggressive to me. The lightweight is toned down quite a bit.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I will not be getting one. If in a Millie or XL Manix then fine. But I just dont like the regular Manix enough to pull the trigger. And thats cool. Im sure there enough people that do and will.
+ I've already got a Mule :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

MacLaren wrote:I will not be getting one. If in a Millie or XL Manix then fine. But I just dont like the regular Manix enough to pull the trigger. And thats cool. Im sure there enough people that do and will.
Yea right Paul, you just keep telling yourself that :D if I know you, once frenzy starts when these drop you'll have no choice but to pick one up just to see what all the fuss is about... :p wait a minute, I think I just described myself :o :spyder:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I think they will sell very well. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

farnorthdan wrote:
MacLaren wrote:I will not be getting one. If in a Millie or XL Manix then fine. But I just dont like the regular Manix enough to pull the trigger. And thats cool. Im sure there enough people that do and will.
Yea right Paul, you just keep telling yourself that :D if I know you, once frenzy starts when these drop you'll have no choice but to pick one up just to see what all the fuss is about... :p wait a minute, I think I just described myself :o :spyder:
Hehehehe.....that didn't take long :D
Dan knows better :D
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

MacLaren wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
Hehehehe.....that didn't take long :D
Dan knows better :D
Right, heck I'm really not that interested in these but I know I'll be buying one, it's an illness I tell you. I have 2 of the S110V's and hardly ever carry either, my user has an abnormally stiff lock release which bugs me and my backup is perfect but I won't use it because its my back up for a piece I hardly even carry :D :o :spyder:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
sal

Post by sal »

Manix is 3mm. Para is 4mm. Steel was rolled to 3mm.

sal