Sunday Poll - Should S30V be phased out?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should S30V be phased out for regular prodution models?

Yes
24%
No
64%
Don't care
12%

Total votes: 108

elena86

Re: Sunday Poll - Should S30V be phased out?

Post by elena86 »

If they would replace it with CTS-XHP I vote YES otherwise I vote NO.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

I might be a weirdo, but I wouldn't mind seeing it phased out in favor of S35VN. As far as Spyderco goes I prefer their S35VN. But again, I'm sure I'm in the minority.

CTS-XHP would be a great option too.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

SteelSpyder wrote:I might be a weirdo, but I wouldn't mind seeing it phased out in favor of S35VN. As far as Spyderco goes I prefer their S35VN. But again, I'm sure I'm in the minority.
You may be in the minority but you are not alone. I also prefer S35VN over S30V. It is a "standard" Spyderco steel that has, in my opinion, a better balance of properties. You really give up nothing and gain some things, like less tendency to chip and better edge quality (or easier achievement of edge quality).

As for edge retention, I can't tell them apart in normal use or in measured cardboard cutting comparisons.
Last edited by Chumango on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Chumango wrote:
SteelSpyder wrote:I might be a weirdo, but I wouldn't mind seeing it phased out in favor of S35VN. As far as Spyderco goes I prefer their S35VN. But again, I'm sure I'm in the minority.
You may be in the minority but you are not alone. I also prefer S35VN over S30V. It is a "standard" Spyderco steel that has, in my opinion, a better balance of properties. You really give up nothing and gain some things, like less tendency to chip and better edge quality (or easier achievement of edge quality).

As for edge retention, I can't tell them apart in normal use and in measured cardboard cutting comparisons.
On top of that isn't S35VN supposed to be easier to grind and polish than S30V? BTW, I agree that getting a polished edge seems a tad easier with S35VN.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

If I could snap my fingers and replace every ounce of S30V with S35VN or XHP, I'd do it in a heartbeat. S30V is just no fun to sharpen. But I'm not going to pay very much more for the privilege.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

I like these kind of threads if for no other reason than I can learn something. As a relative novice to sharpening could someone elaborate on the problems of sharpening S30V and any advice when sharpening S30V.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

Chumango wrote:

As for edge retention, I can't tell them apart in normal use and in measured cardboard cutting comparisons.
These are my exact experiences as well.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

Bugs wrote:I like these kind of threads if for no other reason than I can learn something. As a relative novice to sharpening could someone elaborate on the problems of sharpening S30V and any advice when sharpening S30V.
I wouldn't say there are exactly inherit problems with sharpening S30V. For me I prefer S35VN because of the type of edge it takes, which generally seems more refined. S30V feels more aggressive to me even when sharpened to the same grit.
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

Bugs wrote:I like these kind of threads if for no other reason than I can learn something. As a relative novice to sharpening could someone elaborate on the problems of sharpening S30V and any advice when sharpening S30V.
With 4% vanadium, it just takes longer in general, also depends on what abrasive you're using. With a fine ceramic or similar, you're going to have to be extra consistent with your angle because the vanadium is so hard to grind. You're going to want the knife to already shave easily before going to fine abrasives, and don't have a convex edge. Before even sharpening, you should also accept the fact that it is going to take much longer to get it right again, depending on how blunt it is, that makes it easier.

its easy to get to shave, but getting it to the next level of sharpness, the hair-carving level is pretty hard, at least I haven't done it yet.
MCM

Post by MCM »

I phased it out years ago. But it will probably stick around due to price and popularity with the masses.
For some reason I never really cared for it.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
vivi

Post by vivi »

Not at all. S30V is one of the best balance of blade steel attributes and Spyderco has the heat treat down. My S30V Para 2 has performed flawlessy. Why would you want it discontinued?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I voted no, but only because it would be challenging to find a suitable replacement that would be superior in terms of performance and yet also cost about the same as S30V.
In truth, a number of other cutlery companies use S30V and even VG-10 in their higher-end models.
We're just a bit spoiled that Spyderco offers so many other steel options! ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like it because it helps to motivate me to "not buy" some of the super expensive models. Lately there are more things convincing me to not buy some of the higher end models, such as: being frame locks and titanium for the sake of titanium. But "just S30V" also helps me avoid some of them where I might be on the line.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

I voted no. I really like S30V in larger folders for the toothy edge I can easily put on it (I generally won't sharpen past SM medium rods). I appreciate the more affordable price point, too, as these are the kind of knives I will abuse more. On smaller, more refined gentleman folders, I prefer other steels.

As far as S35VN, I only have it from other makers and it hasn't really wowed me yet. Doesn't seem to excel at anything in particular. I guess you could call it "too" balanced for me :)
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I voted, "No." Why fix something that ain't broke?
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I voted yes, replace it with a "better" (IMO) all-arounder like M390/204P
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

michaelm466 wrote:I voted yes, replace it with a "better" (IMO) all-arounder like M390/204P
The average person can't really sharpen those steels very well I would think. The people buying $100 knives are often at the top of their budget and are used to inexpensive easy to sharpen steels. I would think the S30V range is as difficult to sharpen as you'd want to go for a popular offering.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

SpyderNut wrote:I voted no, but only because it would be challenging to find a suitable replacement that would be superior in terms of performance and yet also cost about the same as S30V.
In truth, a number of other cutlery companies use S30V and even VG-10 in their higher-end models.
We're just a bit spoiled that Spyderco offers so many other steel options! ;)
A replacement doesn't have to be 'superior.' You can change from S30V and get similar traits but improve on the downsides of the steel, namely, sharpening - performance ratio. CTS-XHP may be the only good choice outside of S35VN because it's American made and has similar edge holding. Perhaps a good nitrogen steel would make sense.
MCM

Post by MCM »

The bummer is when a new model comes out with a steel that's not on your favorites list.
Never really warmed up to S30V or D2. Just me I guess.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Phase out S30v? HERESY! ;)

Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/