Labor Day Surprises and the WolfSpyder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Labor Day Surprises and the WolfSpyder

Post by SpyderNut »

Hey guys and gals,

I just wanted to share a few highlights of a really nice Labor Day weekend with you all. First off, the weather was exceptionally nice (blue skies and mid-80's) on all three days. My darling wife suprised me on Monday (my birthday) with a knife that I've been wanting ever since I read Demoncase's review: The WolfSpyder by Ray Mears. :D She ordered the WolfSpyder directly from Ray's website and it arrived in Indiana within about five days from the UK. (Interestingly enough, it was shipped via Royal Mail. How cool is that?) Anyway, I am really digging this funky little knife! It is interesting to note that I originally did not care for the looks of the WolfSpyder. I then read Demon's mini-review and saw the comparison shots alongside a Native and this made me look twice. All in all, it is a well-executed design. The ergos are well-proportioned and surprisingly comfortable for such a small knife. The blade (featuring a Scandi-grind) is nice and beefy and should do well for bushcrafting type duties. Since I'm not into bushcrafting, I will likely use it more for EDC than for anything. (Wait, does sharpening pencils count as bushcrafting??) I've really enjoyed carrying the WolfSpyder these few past days. In fact, I've got it stashed on my right side IWB of my dress slacks as I type this. Here are a few less-than-stellar shots for your viewing pleasure. ;) Along with the WolfSpyder, my wife blessed me with a Case Mini Copperlock (burnt prime stag) and also a Ken Onion Work Sharp sharpening system. This little grinder should come in very handy in a few weeks when I start profiling blades again. :D Not to be out-done, my mother and father-in-law blessed me with a new Stihl MS250 chainsaw for my birthday! I'd been wanting a new Stihl for a while, but I kept procrastinating on getting one for one reason or another. Hey, I even got a chance to break in the new saw on Saturday morning out in my family's deer woods. This thing chewed through green maple and green oak like it was cake. I'd love to see Spyderco do a collab with Stihl some day. Maybe an Endura in safety orange FRN in H1 in full SE? :D

Thanks for reading!

-Michael

WolfSpyder:

My new chainsaw:
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Re: Labor Day Surprises and the WolfSpyder

Post by SG89 »

Nice! How comfortable is the wolfspyder handle?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

The MS250 is a great saw and I have logged a lot of hours behind one on my parents farm. I think you will continue to enjoy that saw. Not a lot you can't do with it and a sharp chain. Congrats on the great weekend with family and some wonderful new sharp toys.

P.S. If available I highly recommend using non-ethanol gas in that saw.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Glad you like it.....Love the way I get the 'blame' :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Nice score Michael, I love mine, fits my hand like a glove, and that stout blade is fantastic.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sully

Post by Sully »

Happy belated birthday, Michael!

Glad to hear you received such great gifts and had a fun day. Always loved that green shade on the Wolfspyder, and it is quite an interesting blade. So wrong-handed, though. :D (Only the much-anticipated Rhino gets complete amnesty from my unwaveringly stubborn lefty bias. :))

I actually own the most under-used Stihl MS250. City and suburbs isn't exactly ideal for it. Still, I'm a big fan. Just wish I used it more, it's too darn clean right now.

Mostly, wanted to make sure to acknowledge your "born on" date. :)
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Happy Birthday, nice toys, you'll have to tell us what you think of the ken onion work sharp when you've had a chance to use it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Happy birthday! Glad to hear that you had such a good one! If Spyderco would stop releasing must have after must have id have ordered a Wolfspyder by now.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Excellent!! The Wolfspyder is one I'd love to have! Happy Birthday too!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Congrats. Well deserved.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
timlara

Post by timlara »

Happy Birthday, Michael! (Same day as mine!)

Nice pile of loot there...like LC said, if I hadn't already spent so much on Spydies this year, I'd probably pick up a WolfSpyder as well, but I have to cool the jets a bit. Luckily, the Rhino should be very affordable. :D
Tim
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Congrats on the awesome gifts and Happy Birthday buddy. Nice to see another Spyderco lover from Indiana as well!
Think for yourself
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

You know Michael I blew right by that new saw, I have the exact same one and the Farm Boss MS290(20" bar), The MS250 gets way more use, great saw, plenty of power and so much lighter than the MS290, 18" bar is plenty for the trees on my property/area I'm in. Hope you get lots of good use out of it, great saw. Happy Birthday too buddy. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

Happy belated birthday Micheal, Hope you enjoy your new toys. Cheers, JonesE
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Congrats! Nice gifts. I have a soft spot for Case knives, especially stockmen.

I have been chainsaw shopping lately myself and admittedly it is a little confusing for me. Stihl sure has a lot of models. I was about to pull the trigger on the MS251 Woodboss. What is the difference between the 250 and 251? I am gonna use it for property maintenance and for processing and scavenging firewood. Sorry for the hijack. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Congratz Michael!
Just not too sure about that saw ...I prefer a little darker orange myself :p (Husqvarna)
Just kiddin of course. Happy for you man.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Congrats Michael!

This isn't the first time your wife has hooked you up with a sweet knife! Obviously you married well...and THAT deserves a congratulations as well!!
That Stihl is awesome too..wow man..what a great birthday :D :D

Best regards!

Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Congrats! Nice gifts. I have a soft spot for Case knives, especially stockmen.

I have been chainsaw shopping lately myself and admittedly it is a little confusing for me. Stihl sure has a lot of models. I was about to pull the trigger on the MS251 Woodboss. What is the difference between the 250 and 251? I am gonna use it for property maintenance and for processing and scavenging firewood. Sorry for the hijack. :)
The ms251 is just an updated/upgraded version of the ms250, I believe it has a larger fuel tank with better fuel consumption, new vibration isolation system etc. you know little tweeks here and there. It really depends on how much you are really going to use your saw, I heat with wood so am usually doing between 4-6 cords every year. The ms250 has served me very well, I've literally been beating the crap out of mine for ten years or more, the only maintenance I've had to perform is changing air filters, fuel filters, on my second bar and countless chains (I sharpen my own), I've also had to replace the pull cord twice. Stihl is by far the superior brand when it comes to saws and for brush clearing the ms250 is perfect, when you spend a lot of time on a saw, weight matters. Now if you dropping trees in 16"-20" range I would go with a bigger saw, very rarely here in AK (my area, not Southeast)do I run up against anything bigger than 20" but I have had to use my ms290 from time to time, I usually carry both when I'm out though just in case I get a bad pinch and have to make a rescue cut.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderNut wrote:Hey guys and gals,

I just wanted to share a few highlights of a really nice Labor Day weekend with you all. First off, the weather was exceptionally nice (blue skies and mid-80's) on all three days. My darling wife suprised me on Monday (my birthday) with a knife that I've been wanting ever since I read Demoncase's review: The WolfSpyder by Ray Mears. :D She ordered the WolfSpyder directly from Ray's website and it arrived in Indiana within about five days from the UK. (Interestingly enough, it was shipped via Royal Mail. How cool is that?) Anyway, I am really digging this funky little knife! It is interesting to note that I originally did not care for the looks of the WolfSpyder. I then read Demon's mini-review and saw the comparison shots alongside a Native and this made me look twice. All in all, it is a well-executed design. The ergos are well-proportioned and surprisingly comfortable for such a small knife. The blade (featuring a Scandi-grind) is nice and beefy and should do well for bushcrafting type duties. Since I'm not into bushcrafting, I will likely use it more for EDC than for anything. (Wait, does sharpening pencils count as bushcrafting??) I've really enjoyed carrying the WolfSpyder these few past days. In fact, I've got it stashed on my right side IWB of my dress slacks as I type this. Here are a few less-than-stellar shots for your viewing pleasure. ;) Along with the WolfSpyder, my wife blessed me with a Case Mini Copperlock (burnt prime stag) and also a Ken Onion Work Sharp sharpening system. This little grinder should come in very handy in a few weeks when I start profiling blades again. :D Not to be out-done, my mother and father-in-law blessed me with a new Stihl MS250 chainsaw for my birthday! I'd been wanting a new Stihl for a while, but I kept procrastinating on getting one for one reason or another. Hey, I even got a chance to break in the new saw on Saturday morning out in my family's deer woods. This thing chewed through green maple and green oak like it was cake. I'd love to see Spyderco do a collab with Stihl some day. Maybe an Endura in safety orange FRN in H1 in full SE? :D

Thanks for reading!

-Michael

WolfSpyder:

My new chainsaw:
Happy Birthday.

BTW, I looked all through Spyderco's catalog and cannot find that chain saw listed anywhere. :p
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Nice! How comfortable is the wolfspyder handle?
Odd looks aside, the handle is surprisingly comfortable when holding in various positions, including a hammer-grip. I have big hands (size XL gloves), but I can still get a decent four-finger grip on the handle. I think the “swelled” mid-section would provide more comfort during extended use too. You definitely need to check this one out, SG. :) 
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal