Worst Spyderco Designs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Aliaspostmortem

Re: Worst Spyderco Designs?

Post by Aliaspostmortem »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I'm a karambit enthusiast, i own 6, but the karahawk always seemed like it was lacking something. I know it's a very well made knife, but it looks cheap if that makes sense, and for a karambit it's not very intimidating. Maybe if they upgraded the steel, reinforced the ring a little, and added a compression lock. And maybe put a swedge or serrations or anything to make it look a little more scary like the matriarch 2?
I agree about most of what you wrote. But I am a bit puzzled about the "upgraded steel" part. Exactly what do you need a better steel in a karambit for? It's not exactly a knife to be used to anyting but maybe training and opening a box or two neither acitivities calls for a super steel. The only interesting property is the "stainless" part since you wear self-defence oriented blades close to your body. So basically any 440 will do.

/ J
For reviews and other kniferelated stuff mostly in Swedish visit: http://knivigtvarre.blogspot.se/
Now also with reviews in English!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I'm a karambit enthusiast, i own 6, but the karahawk always seemed like it was lacking something. I know it's a very well made knife, but it looks cheap if that makes sense, and for a karambit it's not very intimidating. Maybe if they upgraded the steel, reinforced the ring a little, and added a compression lock. And maybe put a swedge or serrations or anything to make it look a little more scary like the matriarch 2?
Which of your 6 karambits use steels better than VG-10?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Aliaspostmortem wrote: I agree about most of what you wrote. But I am a bit puzzled about the "upgraded steel" part. Exactly what do you need a better steel in a karambit for? It's not exactly a knife to be used to anyting but maybe training and opening a box or two neither acitivities calls for a super steel. The only interesting property is the "stainless" part since you wear self-defence oriented blades close to your body. So basically any 440 will do.

/ J
You can use a karambit for anything you'd use a knife for, and some things you wouldn't normally use a knife for. I like a tough knife, something that can take a little abuse, I've opened cans and bottles with my karambits, carved a turkey, they're handy on a fishing boat.... I've EDC'd hawkbills for years and if it can be cut, you can cut it with a hawkbill, but even if i just opened boxes and broke down cardboard with it (truly a better box opener than a karambit has not been made), there is a use for super steel. Same reason i use my HAP40 DFly to open boxes instead of my H1 DFly, it works better.

I guess i want more functionality out of my self defense knife, I need it to be able to handle edc cutting as well, AND still be ready for self defense should I ever win the unlucky lottery.

kind of hard to tell in this pic , but if you look closely you can see the blade on the karambit in the middle is pretty worn with dings and scratches particularly the tip which I broke a small piece off of opening a can of soup.
hbEDC.jpg
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

also from a collectors standpoint, I have only have hawkbills in H1, and 154cm. I'd like a little more variety. Vg10 inst a bad steel, im just looking for something speacial, remember i already own 6 karambits. Don't need another average everyday version.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

clovisc wrote:
Which of your 6 karambits use steels better than VG-10?
the 154cm on the emerson is pretty close and I have nothing but good things to say about H1, but your hunch is correct I'd say vg-10 is slightly better than what i've got(VG10 is a great steel), but I don't want a little better, I want something like my Hap40, Zdp or even s110v blades. I have a good number of super steel knives now, I have zero super steel karambits (and no i don't consider vg10 super steel).

I also just read Hannibal Lecters first impression review of the Karahawk, and I have to say he gave it a very convincing endorsement, I'm going to have to give this knife a second look. And cheap was definitely the wrong word to use, I dislike something in the aesthetics (the polished ring is too flashy for me and i feel it would stand out too much in my pocket, (Sal just said they're making an all black version!)) I hope no one takes my remarks about the karahawk as anything but constructive criticism. :spyder:

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I prefer a knife that has more use than merely slicing someone up. How often do we actually get into a knife fight? Plus, I go by the advice of Fairbairn, who said that if you are being confronted by someone with a knife, run.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

caspian 001.jpg
As with steels there is no "best" or "worse" design. That is a purely subjective argument and opinion. I've seen quite a few in this thread that I kind of enjoy(ed) ie. the balance and assist.

How many would consider this model "bad" or one of the "worst"? I really enjoy it using it way outside of it's design intent.

I just dislike negativity :eek: :confused:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm with you 100% on that Karahawk Brother because to me having any Hawkbill type blade and not offering it in the Spyderedged variant just seems to be like barking up the wrong tree. I personally love Hawkbill blades and I own and use quite a few of Spyderco's models past and present day but I use the Spyderedged variants of Hawkbill folders 95% of the time. I don't use PE Hawkbill blades very often because I've found the Spyderedged units to perform much better with that type of blade design. But the two Hawkbill models that just had me shaking my head in disbelief have been the Superhawk and Karahawk both and neither one available in Spyderedge :confused:

Now one other observation on this thread that has me baffled is all the guys who have listed the GUNTING model as a major dudd :eek: >> I can see why some folks wouldn't want to own a GUNTING out of personal preference but as far as workmanship goes the 4 Gunting models along with the one Gunting trainer I owned were some of the best built Spyders I ever owned. I even carried one and used it for a while ( 440V CE model) which I eventually ended up trading but I did think it was a decent folder overall myself. I just wish I had taken Bram Franks SD course on the use of the GUNTING when I had the chance.

The GUNTING was a specialty knife to be sure but don't overlook the fact that it was truly built like a solid brick outhouse :D .
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:I'm a karambit enthusiast, i own 6, but the karahawk .... maybe put a swedge or serrations or anything to make it look a little more scary like the matriarch 2?
I'm with you 100% on that Karahawk Brother because to me having any Hawkbill type blade and not offering it in the Spyderedged variant just seems to be like barking up the wrong tree. I personally love Hawkbill blades and I own and use quite a few of Spyderco's models past and present day but I use the Spyderedged variants of Hawkbill folders 95% of the time. I don't use PE Hawkbill blades very often because I've found the Spyderedged units to perform much better with that type of blade design.....
I recently picked up a needle file for my KME Sharp system, It's made sharpening my little SE H1 hawkbill Ladybug easy. Super sharp. I don't own many full SE blades, I have a few combo edges. My best friend is an avid SE fan, he carries an waved matriarch 2 just about everywhere. I'm thinking about adding more SE blades to the collection now that I know i can sharpen it easy enough. Maybe the all black version will come in SE. I'd pick one up.

SpydieJay

Post by SpydieJay »

I got a Titanium Salsa, new, from a friend, and a new MeerKat, gratis with my WTC knife years ago. Both of the locks went bad shortly after using for EDC, so they are two models that I do not collect (left a bad taste). Sent the Salsa back to Spyderco and got a Caly of some kind back instead, since the Salsa was discontinued. With the Meerkat, I can use it in my left hand without the blade closing, but in my right hand, it closes much easier than a Slip-It - Interesting, since now it is kind of a locking knife in one hand but not the other, due to the palm position with the phantom lock!

JDG
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sounds like a recipe for disaster on that Meerkat.

As for the Salsa/Caly trade, I personally think you came out ahead on that deal. The Caly is one of my favorite designs, and so with many people, here.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Huh. I recently got the Karahawk, all black. I'm at that point in the love affair when I fondle the knife a lot, and am actively resisting using it - I don't want to accidentally chip the blade or do anything to decrease market value. I really do like the knife. However, I'm too old and fat with too many health problems to learn silat, and thus things like the blade being single edged just don't matter to me. I guess for a fat cripple's armchair kerambit fantasy it's a great knife...
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Out of all I've owned, I would say the Volpe is my least favorite. It just leaves me...cold. Every other Spydie leaves me with a reason to be enthused. Those reasons range from geometry to ergos to looks; but the Volpe is the one I look at and just say "Meh. I'd sell this if I thought I would get anything for it."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

RLDubbya wrote:
Huh. I recently got the Karahawk, all black. I'm at that point in the love affair when I fondle the knife a lot, and am actively resisting using it - I don't want to accidentally chip the blade or do anything to decrease market value. I really do like the knife. However, I'm too old and fat with too many health problems to learn silat, and thus things like the blade being single edged just don't matter to me. I guess for a fat cripple's armchair kerambit fantasy it's a great knife...
I should point out I wrote that just before the all black karahawk with the reinforced ring came out. It looks great now.

gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Well, since "worst" is totally in the eye of the beholder, I'll throw in my most disappointing design, ignoring all the non-starters. And it's not a bad design by any means. In fact, I'll probably get a ration for busting on it. I lusted after one for years, holding out for Super Blue. On paper, the Stretch is ideal for me. In hand, I just can't get comfortable with how it constrains my grip. With my hand on the grip, the grip feels too short, squeezing my fingers together. Choked up on the choil, it feels awkward. I've spent quite a bit of time using it and I just can't like it. The more time I spend with different knives, the more I appreciate traditional grips, stockman, puukko, etc. A modern design that rocks for me is the the Des Horn, which could arguably make the list as a "worst" design because it wasn't popular. In my mind, guards, choils, finger grooves, etc. may look cool, but they mostly get in the way.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Brock O Lee wrote:In defense of the Breeden Rescue, I had one for a while, and I am now quite disappointed that I sold it. The ergos might look bad on a picture, but it had an excellent, full, comfortable grip. The action and lockup were perfect. It was a really good knife, with maybe an odd look.
I had the exact same reply on the Balance. One of my all time favorites.

Ken
palonej

Post by palonej »

I would've said the Chubby, didn't sell well and just looked......weird and useless.
Then comes KC offering it for $139 and I relented and picked one up. A week later I ordered a second!!
A VERY big little knife with amazing action, excellent feel in hand and extremely useful blade profile!!
Joe
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Xplorer wrote:I have really never looked at a Spyderco knife and thought it was a bad design. In fact, I've been impressed by the fact that even the knives that don't appeal to my needs or aesthetic taste are remarkably good designs that are highly functional and ergonomic. I also understand that from a design perspective every knife is that designer's piece of art and just because it may not appeal to my aesthetic preferences doesn't mean I'm ready to say it's a bad design. So far, out of the 60+ Spydercos I've purchased I haven't received one with anything I would call a functional problem yet. Thank you Spyderco! :D :spyder:

Best regards,
Chad
This is my experience, as well. It is a large part of why I love Spyderco.