FRN Worker ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
harronek

FRN Worker ?

Post by harronek »

Did Spyderco ever make a FRN Worker ?
If not , why not ?
I'd love to see a Delica handle with a Worker blade .
Maybe Jazz could suggest it :)

Ken
The Deacon

Re: FRN Worker ?

Post by The Deacon »

No, they never made one. Have no idea why. Workers using the SS/Kraton handle of the ProHunter/ProVenator/ProGrip exist so I'd think putting a Worker blade in the FRN/Kraton ProGrip handle would have been feasible. Making one using the Delica 4 handle wouldn't be that easy and, given that the G-10 Worker Sprint didin't exactly fly off the shelves, may not be something Spyderco would want to pursue.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

After the rather slow sales of the last Worker Sprint I doubt another Worker Sprint would happen soon but one in FRN would definitely end up in my collection and would definitely end up doing some work as well!
(in FRN with M4 and I'll take 2-3.. :D )
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

harronek wrote: Maybe Jazz could suggest it :)

Ken

Funny guy... but I'd buy one of those.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'd buy one too. Yeah Jazz, see what you can do for us here. ;) :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
harronek

Post by harronek »

I never realized that the recent Worker Sprint didn't sell like hot cakes .
It seems I might be in the absolute minority that thinks this totally iconic blade shape and " Vibe " of the Worker Blade with a FRN handle would actually meet many peoples requirements , just like the groundbreaking Original Worker was envisioned to do .

Ken

PS - The Worker should never have been put into G10 scales .
Real "Workers" don't wear suits . :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think that price killed the Worker Sprint. I wanted it really bad but it was a tad pricey. I did see it pop up a few times for a good price but the timing was bad for my wallet each time. They are still readily available at MAP for $169.95. I just can't justify that unfortunately. I love the knife and the color.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I really like the G10 Worker. I'm not a big fan of small knives, but this one works for me.

The addition of the G10 really completed the original Worker model.
TargaMonteSS

Post by TargaMonteSS »

I wanted a worker sprint but the price was too high.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

For those who own one of these, or a previous incarnation, how would you compare it to a Delica?

It's easy to see all of the differences, but hard to know how they affect the way it handles without having it in hand.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Holland

Post by Holland »

I wanted a worker sprint, but didn't want to fork out that much cash for VG10 personally.
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

Same thing. Price is too high for g-10/vg10
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sounds like a good idea, don't think it will happen bc of the sprint. However there are rumors of a frn Chaparral if that interests you. I want the g10 worker so bad but keep getting something else...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I think the Worker is more a nostalgia item than necessarily a compelling knife. The Delica has had a lot more design iteration to make it what it is today.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is a valid argument to be made that Spyderco's ROOKIE and WORKER models are some of the very best designed EDC models ever in their history. But with that being said I would still prefer both of them with G-10 handles. The more I get into this Spyderco hobby/obsession the more I value a solid, rigid G-10 handle for day to day EDC uses.

Now there is another argument to be made that both models may be two of the very best models that Spyderco made with stainless handles. The designs of both models i.e. blades and handles are super IMO. Now FRN has it's place to be sure but I personally have much more confidence in G-10 handles.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JD Spydo wrote:There is a valid argument to be made that Spyderco's ROOKIE and WORKER models are some of the very best designed EDC models ever in their history. But with that being said I would still prefer both of them with G-10 handles. The more I get into this Spyderco hobby/obsession the more I value a solid, rigid G-10 handle for day to day EDC uses.

Now there is another argument to be made that both models may be two of the very best models that Spyderco made with stainless handles. The designs of both models i.e. blades and handles are super IMO. Now FRN has it's place to be sure but I personally have much more confidence in G-10 handles.
I am honestly kind of surprised that the Worker sprint can still be had. I purchased a user and it is my favorite and most carried blade right now. I just purchased a NIB as a backup. I really love this model and would like to see more G10 iterations. Perhaps the next one could be in Hap40 with Natural Jade, Blurple, or Red G10 scales. I think that combo would sell much quicker than the VG-10 model.

I am also hoping to see a Rookie G10 sprint. Again in Hap40 with any of the G10 scales I mentioned. Throw a G10 Delica, G10 Dragonfly and G10 Jester in that request as well. A whole family of small Hap40 backlocks (all with full liners) with an interesting color G10. I'd buy a couple sets of those!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

I'm a huge Rookie fan - but IMO there always did seem to be a slight imbalance between the super thin g10 grip and moderately thick blade. It's very pocketable and simply has the best blade:handle ratio; however, the blade feels built for work while the handle is too thin for bearing down. Make the blade a little more slicey while retaining the blade ratio - and update as the Police has been updated - and I think a Minipolice (Chief's Special? Detective?) could be a winner.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I bought a Worker Sprint last year and carried it for a bit. Other than the pointier tip, my Brown FRN FFG Delica did just as good a job and was lighter & less expensive. I don't regret the purchase though because I like owning a version of the first Spyderco knife.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Germinalphrase wrote:I'm a huge Rookie fan - but IMO there always did seem to be a slight imbalance between the super thin g10 grip and moderately thick blade. It's very pocketable and simply has the best blade:handle ratio; however, the blade feels built for work while the handle is too thin for bearing down. Make the blade a little more slicey while retaining the blade ratio - and update as the Police has been updated - and I think a Minipolice (Chief's Special? Detective?) could be a winner.
Yeah, definitely. Maybe a FFG G10 Rookie in Laminated Superblue. I'd still like to try an original G10 Rookie, but perhaps in Hap40 this go round.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

steelcity16 wrote:Yeah, definitely. Maybe a FFG G10 Rookie in Laminated Superblue. I'd still like to try an original G10 Rookie, but perhaps in Hap40 this go round.
I see the g10 Rookies pop up on the auction sites once ina while - but they go for collector's prices, it seems.