Blade forums pop up ads

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
v8r

Blade forums pop up ads

Post by v8r »

Has anyone besides me been having problems on blade forums with Pop up ads and redirects. I like to go over there and browse the handmade knives , sheaths and such forum, as well as the for sale forums. I can't click on anything without being redirected.
awa54

Re: Blade forums pop up ads

Post by awa54 »

Do you use an ad blocker? I just did a cursory run through of a few threads and had no pop-ups, I'm using ad block plus.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

awa54 wrote:Do you use an ad blocker? I just did a cursory run through of a few threads and had no pop-ups, I'm using ad block plus.
+1
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I'm on Opera Mini on my phone. No redirect ;)

However,

Problem is I can't see who's OP on a thread for this forum.:o
Chris :spyder:
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I think the new versions of Opera have ad blocker tech built right into the browser.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No problems with pop-ups or redirects here. For that matter, I never even see any of the sidebar ads on BF, but I'm using the Ad Block Plus add-on with Firefox on a desktop computer.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

anagarika wrote:I'm on Opera Mini on my phone. No redirect ;)

However,

Hi Chris,
We're sorry that's not something we can change with a setting. If there is a future update that makes that available we'll happily enable it. We've seen a few posts from you about it, so we understand your disappointment. Hopefully, the rest of the forum offerings make up for this inconvenience.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

TazKristi wrote:

However,

Hi Chris,
We're sorry that's not something we can change with a setting. If there is a future update that makes that available we'll happily enable it. We've seen a few posts from you about it, so we understand your disappointment. Hopefully, the rest of the forum offerings make up for this inconvenience.

Kristi
Hi Kristi,

Thank you for taking note. This is a special forum for me, I've said this before that it's like an oasis.

Thankfully the one that shouldn't be named has gone quiet. ;)

I trust the choice of using this engine was taken considering many aspects with the usual Spyderco philosophy of putting ELU first and the inconvenience resulted from that is part of the whole package. I don't know if security is one of them, but it's really important as there have been several breaches on VBulletin engine already. What I mean is that the issue is minor if security comes first.

Again, thank you for listening and the fact I'm still here means the rest of the forum experience worth it! Which translates to the people gathered here being :cool: and a lot of wisdom & reflection being shared too.

PS: Just a clue that might be helpful, in case the engineer found/stumble upon a way to tweak ;) :
iPad version of Opera Mini run on landscape shows it. Not on iPhone, though it must be same version. I'm guessing it's screen size/resolution related.

Thanks and have a good weekend!
paladin

Post by paladin »

A paid subscription should end the ads, I believe.

Not a bad deal and supporting a good forum, IMHO.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

anagarika wrote:
TazKristi wrote:

However,

Hi Chris,

Kristi
Hi Kristi,

Thank you for taking note. This is a special forum for me, I've said this before that it's like an oasis.

Thankfully the one that shouldn't be named has gone quiet. ;)

I trust the choice of using this engine was taken considering many aspects with the usual Spyderco philosophy of putting ELU first and the inconvenience resulted from that is part of the whole package. I don't know if security is one of them, but it's really important as there have been several breaches on VBulletin engine already. What I mean is that the issue is minor if security comes first.

Again, thank you for listening and the fact I'm still here means the rest of the forum experience worth it! Which translates to the people gathered here being :cool: and a lot of wisdom & reflection being shared too.

PS: Just a clue that might be helpful, in case the engineer found/stumble upon a way to tweak ;) :
iPad version of Opera Mini run on landscape shows it. Not on iPhone, though it must be same version. I'm guessing it's screen size/resolution related.

Thanks and have a good weekend!
Hi Chris,
Thanks for understanding. Yes, on three counts. The decision to move the forum to new software was something I did after extensive research. The biggest motivation was keeping the forum secure - vBulletin was no longer a secure platform IMO. phpBB offered us a secure platform that is consistently updated/upgraded by a global group of programmers who do it because they enjoy it - not to make a profit. That's actually how vBulletin began, but after being sold to a corporation the focus moved to profit over performance. Finally, yes, the issue you experience is completely due to the size of your phone's screen. The forum software is responsive. That's why on a larger device you'll see the info that you don't see when you're viewing on a smaller phone screen.

We're glad to have you here and appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Hi Kristi,

Thanks for sharing a bit more about the research you did.

The VBulletin story seems to be familiar. Same reason I don't jailbreak my iOS anymore. The group is now no longer the hobbyists it used to be, allied with some companies that definitely would have other interests than just exploration and technical challenge ;)