Sell me on the Firefly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Sell me on the Firefly

Post by SG89 »

Cmon enablers, you know what to do :cool:
Wanting a nice new Spydie... This one is pretty nice looking... What say ye, forumites? Yay or nay? Pics always appreciated. Other suggestions welcomed
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
gingerninja

Re: Sell me on the Firefly

Post by gingerninja »

Ive looked at the firefly a few times but its one of those ones I like but have never put in the cart. I like how it looks, I dont have any issues with VG10 or liner locks but I think if I was going to buy a Knife around that size Id probably go for the Techno. Its cheaper, CTS XHP and all Ti
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Well... Let's see what I can do. ;)

If you enjoy smaller knives, the Firefly is really tough to beat. For starters, it is very well constructed and presents like a refined gents (and ladies) knife. The ergos are elegantly simple, but work well--even in my XL sized hands. I love the marriage of polished CF and orange G-10. It is not only attractive, but feels very smooth in-hand. The blade feels a bit more robust than what you'd expect in a smaller knife, which is an added benefit in my book. I really didn't find too many faults with the design, honestly. It would be cool to see this in a FFG and FRN combo. :D

Summary: You need this model in your collection. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

If you like the looks, I can say it's very nice in the hand, and while I'd prefer a nicer steel on a $200 knife(OMG HAP40 PLZ), VG-10 is more than adequate. I like it, I just would put several ahead of it on the list.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

P.S. I'll try to post some pictures soon.

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like the looks & blade shape of this one!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I really like the look of the Firefly too SG, looks like a great size for those low profile days. Another one to consider is the Pattada, no were near the same size category but I must admit I've been very pleased with mine, probably one of the smoothest blades I've picked up recently and just all around classy.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

So far I have to admit I like everything I've seen from Peter Carey. The Firefly is no exception. It's extremely well built with a tough little frame and a stout little blade. It's comfortable in the hand and it looks nice. I find I use it a number of different ways. Unfortunately, when I went looking for pics of my Firefly for this thread I found I don't have any pictures of me actually cutting things with it.

It's small and nice enough to use as a gentleman's folder when the occasion calls for it.

I also like to use small knives as money clips and this one works quite well for me with cash in the front pocket.

I find it to be a durable and useful utility type of blade, good for all sorts of EDC purposes and well suited as a day-hiking knife or as a companion knife to a fixed blade.

It has a proper Spydie hole and good ergonomics for opening the blade. :D :spyder:

It's small enough and lite enough that I've used it as a neck knife at times.
:p

It's a versatile little knife that looks nice too. I think it's tough enough to be compared with "little big knives" like the Techno and the Chubby, and as long as you like orange and CF...what's not to like? If you happen to have a Rubicon it makes a great matched pair of course. :D

Best regards, :)
Chad
Last edited by Xplorer on Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Great pics, Chad! :D

Here are a few comparison pictures for reference. I apologize for the inferior picture quality: :o

Firefly and Leafstorm:

Firefly and Squeak:

Firefly and Lava:

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Wow Chad, now you got me wanting to buy a Firefly, Great little write up and pictures :D

Also nice comparison pictures Michael, I didn't realize the Firefly was so small. :spyder: :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Great pics guys! I think I might be trading in my Memory for a Firefly. The Memory is beautiful but I'll get more use out of the Firefly.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Many nice pics of the Firefly in this thread:

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=61749

Love this knife!!! :D Here's a few more recent pics of what I consider to be the Japanese VG-10 mini Gayle Bradley :)

The last two shots show the amazing yin-yang of the Firefly and the VG-10 Native 4, both amazing production pieces out of Moki and Seki respectively.

Is this a good place to ask this? Sal, how about a super steel sprint run (HAP40, etc) of the NATIVE 4?!? Slim G10 or better yet Micarta scales, no jimping, super steel --- a gentleman's dream EDC! ;) :D

Cheers, Radioactive :)

P.S. Spydergirl88, get yourself a Firefly!!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol....talk about enablers......Mission accomplished!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

MacLaren wrote:Lol....talk about enablers......Mission accomplished!!
Haha! Yes they are! I had seen it before but the Firefly wasn't even on my radar until this thread.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Enough already! :eek: Thought about it many times, but this may have pushed me over the edge :)
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Spydergirl88, it's orange, carbon, blade like a mini GB, and it would be a new Spyderco. What more can you need?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I dunno, unless you're just in love with the orange scales or something I have a hard time with the price on this one. If it had regular black G-10 scales who would actually be into this knife for $200?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Last edited by zhyla on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Last edited by zhyla on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Last edited by zhyla on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.