If I were upgrading the Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

If I were upgrading the Delica

Post by Doc Dan »

If I were upgrading the Delica (and I am not saying it needs it), I would fix the lock so as to be like the one in the Chaparral with the stop pin. Also, I really like the Caly3. It is a Leek killer. It has the same size handle as a Leek and is a lot safer. It is stronger, as well. I would take the oversize pivot pin and put that on the Delica. I would take the thicker blade and put that on the Delica, too, but keep the Delica blade style. I would offer the knife in FRN, G10, and Titanium (just for fun) and no choil.

I like the Delica just the way it is, but I got to thinking what I would do to improve it. These things are what I came up with. What do you all think?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jsd

Re: If I were upgrading the Delica

Post by Jsd »

The Delica is great, there is only one design change I would upgrade. It is on both the Delica and the Endura. The handle has a rise right where my middle finger comes to rest. I have a large hand, so for me if that rise were changed into an small indentation it would pe perfect.
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

I like the general design of the Delica so I wouldn't want too much change. I would like to try incorporate the newer lock from the Native series into the Delica and I would push the blade to closer to 3" to give it just a little more edge and fill the handle a bit. If it were just a tad bigger it could be my one do-it-all knife. Oh, and I keep the nice thin stock, but I would give it a straight spine again all the way to the tip. I love a pointy tip.
:spyder: jstrange
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yep, straight spine all the way to the tip. That little droop kind of bothers me. Why is it there? Any functional reason? I would make the clip a bit slimmer, more in keeping with the overall form of the knife. If I was to get more radical, I'd like to see a Delica in a classic Wharncliffe blade shape. VG10 is fine as it is a fine steel and keeps the costs down. My Sharpmaker will keep a fine edge on my VG10 steel and my CPM M4. Oh, and an OD scale color would be nice.

If I didn't have a Bradley 2 I'd probably have a Delica 4, Spyderco's best (function, size, weight, quality and cost) knife when you can only have one.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
tap78

Post by tap78 »

I suggest a Mantra... this is in my oppinion a refined delica :)

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Nope. For what it is, and for me, the Delica is perfect as is.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

A thicker blade makes no sense to me because it essentially decreases its performance. It's a knife, thinner knives cut better, so why make it worse at its primary job?

I would round the spine, refine the back lock, and hide the blade tang in the handle better, personally. Also, change the stock blade steel or improve the HT of the VG-10 because my results with it have been underwhelming. Most any steel, properly heat treated, is great for EDC and just a balance of characteristics.

Would also like to see a titanium handle on it with a treatment similar to the Slysz Bowie (blasted and stone washed I believe) and with the better steel offering. I have the titanium and Damascus version and the handle doesn't respond to EDC wear well.
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

A Delica the same size and shape as the Mantra, but still an FRN lock-back, with the Native lock would be my ideal knife. Or simply put, stick the Mantra blade on the Delica handle, upgrade the lock, and call it a day.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

jstrange wrote:A Delica the same size and shape as the Mantra, but still an FRN lock-back, with the Native lock would be my ideal knife. Or simply put, stick the Mantra blade on the Delica handle, upgrade the lock, and call it a day.
The mantra is a frame lock and does not require a kick to stop the blade from closing too far. The Delica will keep the ricasso as long as it has a backlock. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

jstrange wrote:I like the general design of the Delica so I wouldn't want too much change. I would like to try incorporate the newer lock from the Native series into the Delica and I would push the blade to closer to 3" to give it just a little more edge and fill the handle a bit. If it were just a tad bigger it could be my one do-it-all knife. Oh, and I keep the nice thin stock, but I would give it a straight spine again all the way to the tip. I love a pointy tip.
MichaelScott wrote:Yep, straight spine all the way to the tip. That little droop kind of bothers me. Why is it there? Any functional reason? I would make the clip a bit slimmer, more in keeping with the overall form of the knife. If I was to get more radical, I'd like to see a Delica in a classic Wharncliffe blade shape. VG10 is fine as it is a fine steel and keeps the costs down. My Sharpmaker will keep a fine edge on my VG10 steel and my CPM M4. Oh, and an OD scale color would be nice.

If I didn't have a Bradley 2 I'd probably have a Delica 4, Spyderco's best (function, size, weight, quality and cost) knife when you can only have one.
The hump was added to the tip because of too many reports of broken tips. Fifteen minutes with some 100 grit sandpaper fixes that anyway. ;)

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

I would like to see the lock either made with the tight tolerances of the Native5 or with the stop pin of the Sage4/Chaparral. Other than a tighter lock I think it is perfect as is. Well, after I straighten the spine back out. :)
-Darby
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

"Fifteen minutes with some 100 grit sandpaper fixes that anyway. ;)"

Nice. That, alone, moves a Delica up to the top of my list. Fits nicely between the Bradley 2 and my Dragonfly.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Duplicate post

Post by MichaelScott »

Duplicate...

Team Innovation
harronek

Post by harronek »

The only changes needed are make Hap40 steel standard production , and improve the black paint on the clip so it doesn't wear off and scratch at the slightest bump and knock .

Ken
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
jstrange wrote:A Delica the same size and shape as the Mantra, but still an FRN lock-back, with the Native lock would be my ideal knife. Or simply put, stick the Mantra blade on the Delica handle, upgrade the lock, and call it a day.
The mantra is a frame lock and does not require a kick to stop the blade from closing too far. The Delica will keep the ricasso as long as it has a backlock. :)
Okay, makes sense, but I still wish the blade was a little longer.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

tvenuto wrote:Nope. For what it is, and for me, the Delica is perfect as is.
+1 Nothing to change or fix as far as I'm concerned. The handle fits my hand perfectly, the blade is a good length and shape for my needs, and I find the bi-directional texturing on the FRN nice and grippy. If I want something different I'll reach for a different model as I often do. Like so many of the Spyderco models, I think the Delica is a well thought out individual and I like it just the way it is.

With above said, I did mod a Delica with a set of Boomer 52's Lil' Para scales. I absolutely love how that knife feels in my hand! However, I don't think of it as an improved Delica, I look at it as a different knife altogether. Comparing it with my G10 UKPK I kind of think of it as Delica meets Caly 3.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

MichaelScott wrote: I'd like to see a Delica in a classic Wharncliffe blade shape.
Michael,
A Wharnie Delica is coming:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70607
Chris :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MichaelScott wrote:Yep, straight spine all the way to the tip. That little droop kind of bothers me. Why is it there? Any functional reason?
Previous Delica models had a straight spine with no droop and people complained about the tip being too fragile. As the saying goes, it's easier to remove a bit of metal on your own and make the tip pointier if you want it that way, than for someone else to make the tip stronger. Gotta remember that we only represent a tiny fraction of the Delica market, and most of the people buying them likely abuse their knives more than you or I.

Personally I would prefer a very very slight leaf shape curve to the spine...seems to be a nice balance between the two. I bobbed the tip on this Para 1 to keep it length legal, and blended the spine down so there's just a very slight curve to it. I started off with a more Delica like tip but gradually blended it down to this.

As for upgrading the Delica, I like the idea of the improved back lock design changes, but my biggest gripe are those darn finger grooves. Make the handle shape more like the Harpy or Centofante and I'd be much more inclined to buy one. Heck make the points wider apart like the Mantra and I'd be happy, they at least fit my fingers better than a Delica does.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

tap78 wrote:I suggest a Mantra... this is in my oppinion a refined delica :)

This is a good call. I have both and it's like the Mantra is the 3rd iteration after the Delica and the Caly3.

I think the Mantra is my favorite in my collection.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There is some good discussion, here. I think we are all agreed that the lock needs upgrading to be like the Native 5 or the Chaparral. I like the Delica the way it is, but things can always be improved. I also like the Caly3, only less so than the Delica. So, I thought of combining a couple of things I did like about the Caly into the Delica. (The Caly3 prices are so high now that I am afraid to carry mine anymore). With the Delica and or the Caly3 there is no reason for the Leek to exist ;) The Delica is my favorite pocket knive, bar none.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050