Loosen stiff CC2 & ML2?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Skyler76

Loosen stiff CC2 & ML2?

Post by Skyler76 »

First time poster here!

So on a whim I bought a Meadowlark2 and Cara Cara 2 to test out the budget range from Spyderco. I have a drawer full of Spydercos but just wanted to see if these things were really as good as everyone says they are. For $20, you really can't expect much nor complain too much. I really want to like these knives but they are both so stiff. I am sure this must be remediable as I've seen numerous people flicking them open. With mine, you don't have a chance. I've lubed them, opened and closed them so many times yet they still remain super stiff. The thumb holes also have a super coarse edge on them which, with the combination of the stiffness and that, is literally wearing the skin off my thumb.

How do I get these things to loosen up??
farnorthdan

Re: Loosen stiff CC2 & ML2?

Post by farnorthdan »

Hi Skyler76, welcome to the forum. I don't have any of the Byrd line but have had a couple FRN pieces come stiff like you describe. Usually what works for me is a drop or two of lube and lots of opening and closing breaks them in. I've even had to loosen the pivot screw a wee bit before to achieve the tension I prefer.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Skyler76

Post by Skyler76 »

I've tried the pivot screw but that didn't make any difference. I actually took the screw all the way out and still no difference. I've lubed the knives a ton, no help. It honestly feels like the back lock spring is too strong. My buddy borrowed my torx set with the ones small enough to get the main screws out otherwise I'd take them apart and try and see what is going on. I just didn't know if there was a trick to loosening them up as a lot of reviews on Amazon comment on the stiffness. I figured someone had to know!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I guess if it as bad as you describe you could always send it back to W&R and have them take a look at it, if you disassemble it yourself it voids the warranty(some do it just thought I mention), like I said I have had a couple that took a long time to loosen up but they did eventually. My HAP40 Delica is like what you describe and is still kinda stiff after months of carry off/on but it is slowly getting better.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Skyler76

Post by Skyler76 »

W&R? It's a little late for that now though ;0. I took it apart and found that the tang was rubbing badly on the liner on the right hand side. I polished the liner and a few other gritty parts and it seems to have helped a little. Still stiff but not as bad as it was. My FRN Delica is night and day opening. I didn't expect Delica quality but still didn't expect this.
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

Like you I bought a ML2 and a CC2. The Cara Cara was great. The meadowlark was stiff so I tried all the standard things then decided to take it apart and polish the Tang and liners. Taking it apart was a mistake because the spacer that holds the spring was kind of messed up. I understand that Spyderco has had some problems with consistency from the Chinese suppliers and are working to correct it. I ordered another meadowlark and it is just fine. It sounds like you got one of the problem ones. I like the quality design and price of these knives, but I did have to replace one meadowlark. Once Spyderco gets the manufacturers squared away they will have a consistently great product.
Skyler76

Post by Skyler76 »

Both knives are as stiff as each other, or at least they were, semi fixed the ML but I simply won't use the CC, it's way too stiff. Very disappointing. I had the same issue as you putting it together too. Worked fine without the right side on and I got really excited but when I put the right side back on it wouldn't lock up properly nor hold the closed blade in place. After some reading (your post was most helpful) I took it all apart.. 4 more times.. and eventually have it back togather but I cannot fully tighten the screw just behind the lock bar or the problem reappears. It's tight enough but kind of annoying. The knife feels way better now, not perfect but workable. There's no blade movement and it locks up tight. I had the plastic crap around the pin too which I also cleaned off like you did. I found that taking out the receiving pins (for the screws - probably using the wrong term) really helped getting it all lined up correctly before screwing anything back in. That pin is annoying!

- One thing though - what spacers were you talking about in your post? The only thing that I had as spacers were the copper washers but I know that's not what you're talking about.

I won't be buying replacements for them. Albeit they're cheap, I am not in the habit of throwing away $40 after I just did that.
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

I'm not really sure what the name of all the parts are. The spacer I referred to is the piece that holds the spring and has the little pin in it.
Skyler76

Post by Skyler76 »

Ah, I never took the spring out so that might explain why I never saw any spacers! Anyway, if I knew I could get a good version of the knives, i wouldn't hesitate to buy them but as it is I'd just be rolling the dice. Sucks, because I want these knives in good working order.
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

I didn't have the opportunity to handle FRN CC2 and ML2 yet, but i have one of each with the G10 scales and both of them have a nearly flawless f&f with an action as smooth as my delicas and enduras. I have no idea though, if the G10 models are from the same manufacturer as the FRN ones.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

OP,

You mentioned tightening the lockbar pivot all the way causing problem. It means the lockbar is rubbing against the liner. Try smooth out this area and see how it goes.

I have gone through several Cara Caras, and need to tweak some of them. Nothing major that can't be tweaked if one is mechanically inclined and like to tinker.
Chris :spyder:
Skyler76

Post by Skyler76 »

@anagarika

Good point. I'll try that tomorrow. For some reason I didn't think of that but that's probably the issue. I am sure it's going to take some heavy sanding on the lock bar though. I'll try a bit at a time and look for improvements as I go. The CC remains in its box as it has done after 5 minutes of getting here. I bought two more cheap knives in the meantime which have only added insult to injury. They're fantastic (I won't name names) for the money and I really expected more out of Byrd *cough* *Spyderco* albeit at the $20 mark.
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

My first Cara Cara is excellent. I can flick it open. I really like the design of the handle. It's not on the level with my Endura but it's close. My second Meadowlark is good, but not as smooth as the Cara Cara.
araneae

Post by araneae »

My M'lark is among the smoothest opening lockbacks I own, Cara Cara is very decent. I am always puzzled why people get a knife they are unhappy with, take it apart and then come here for advice. If you aren't happy, best idea is to return it straight away. You are only throwing money away if you tinker first.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Skyler76

Post by Skyler76 »

Yes, I could have returned it but I thought it maybe an easy fix. It was $20, not a big deal. I'm going to see if I can find them locally so I can get a decent ML2.
ToneGrail

Post by ToneGrail »

I must have gotten one of the lemons because mine is stiff...like it feels like something is grinding when i deploy the blade. Its so stiff that I nearly slip my thumb off sometimes when deploying it, almost cutting myself.

Ii always thought it was normal for the ML2 until i read this thread. If I'd known this when i first bought it i would have exchanged it within the return period. So now I'm basically stuck with a knife that sits in a drawer.

My Cara Cara 2 is smooth as butter though.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I don't recommend bending the spring, it might lose all tension if not careful.
My suspicion is more towards tight lockbar pivot and irregular surfaces between spring & lockbar. If you can disassemble it, try checking these areas, including the surface where the lockbar rubs against liner.

A lockback will be always heavier to operate than a liner lock.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Glad you have it sorted out. :cool:

My last two Cara Caras had some screw heads rounded off because of the crazy loctite. I can't disassemble them without ruining the FRN (cutting a slot to the head will cut into the FRN). Decided to live with it, as fortunately no major issue on the action, and only one small gritting feeling when one of them about to lock open
jaxonunit

Post by jaxonunit »

I have three Byrds, Raven2, Cara Cara 2, and a Hawkbill. The Raven and Cara were fine out-of-the-box, but the Hawkbill was super tight, and even like you mentioned, it was still stiff EVEN WITH THE PIVOT SCREW BACKED OUT! I finally figured out that the handle screw closest to the piviot screw was so tight it was pinching the lock spring. Don't know if this could happen to your Cara Cara, but it's worth checking.
Tenacious Black Blade---Resilience---Persistence---Ambitious---Cara Cara 2---Hawkbill ---Manbug ---Tenacious Full SpyderEdge---Raven 2---Robin2---Matriarch 2

I'm only using black until Spyderco comes out with something darker.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Having lockbar pivot too tight also causing issues:
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=75664