Pink for Breast Cancer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mikael Andersson

Re: Pink for Breast Cancer

Post by Mikael Andersson »

The Mastiff wrote:
This is the year 2016... I'm positive that there is at least one titanium alloy on the market that could be hardened to 54-56RC.
OK Hotshot, Are you gonna share? Which alloy is it ? I'm curious about it now and want to try it. "Beta Ti" doesn't do it for me and it is 2016 so show us you aren't talking out your @$$.
That's obviously for Spyderco to find out.

But if they won't I sure will.
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

You're the one making the claim though, "positive there is at least one..."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Why would it be for someone else to back up unsupported claims you made? That makes no sense.
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Why would it be for someone else to back up unsupported claims you made? That makes no sense.
It makes no longer any sense for me to make suggestions to this stupid corporation so I will stop.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:
It makes no longer any sense for me to make suggestions to this stupid corporation so I will stop.
Dude come on. How does a thread about supporting great causes come to this? Take it down a notch.
JT

Post by JT »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
I hope, I really, really, really do hope, that this means you are going to go on with your life, and move along. Nothing to see here, just an old and boring,non-innovative company, boring and old fashioned forum and boring and dumb forumites. You have more to share on some other snazzier and eventful forum.
Attachments
yoda.jpg
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Yeah righto, you blokes are on fire! We've got a convict being chased by a snake down a wombat hole? Ah, hahaha! And, I thought I was bent. Thanks a big mob fellows! I love it here and a little banter like this is akin to Chicken soup for the soul.

Lance ole mate, we'd love to have you vistit and you'd have a ball! You described the average Aussie as I know him to be. Humour is our weapon and we're not too big on pomp and ceremony either! If you can't laugh at yourself, don't worry we'll teach you! I work with a Sailor from Portland, his name is Darren and he laughs like a little girl cause I call him Dazza. It's hilarious when we speak Australian because he has trouble understanding. Very funny and a very nice man, we even gave him a wife! Come visit us! If any of you visit Oz you'll most likely come to Sydney at some stage. PM me and I'd be more than happy to meet up and show you around. Thanks again to you all! :)

Alex
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
osprey

Post by osprey »

The Aussie knife could also be called the Bogan, though I don't know how a knife could drive circles on your lawn in a Holden Commodore while flinging beer cans around so it may be hard to fully embrace it.
Donut

Post by Donut »

So, take this video for example. Excuse the profanity, the guy just broke a $400-500 knife.

You want a knife... that probably costs double what steel costs, that will break with slight misuse.

https://youtu.be/Txpio6S59lY

I don't think it is worth the stress it will put on the warranty department.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:
I missed this one.

Sure, it's cool to propose an idea, but then someone else has to put down the money, which I'm thinking would run in the $500,000 range for this idea, to produce what you propose. Then it might just flop.

That's a pretty big gamble, it's tough to jump on. Especially when titanium doesn't have a good track record.

Would it be worth it to buy an $800 pink titanium knife? This might be a better job for a custom maker if we're willing to put down that kind of money.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

osprey wrote:The Aussie knife could also be called the Bogan, though I don't know how a knife could drive circles on your lawn in a Holden Commodore while flinging beer cans around so it may be hard to fully embrace it.
Is it National Bash An Aussie Day over there? :)

Osprey, don't laugh but you may be onto something here, but marketing would play a major role. The Bogan sounds cool, catchy name. Let's say the Bogan was a knife that featured a stubbie (small beer bottle) cooler and advertised it as Knife and Stubbie Cooler it may or may not take off.

Now, the exact same Bogan advertised as Stubbie cooler and knife would cause a frenzy. Spyderco couldn't possibly keep up demand on Fathers Day for similar! :cool:
Studey

Post by Studey »

First off...not into this idea.

Second, Mastiff, you're right, Ti doesn't make for a good blade, but any maker worth their salt is carbidizing the edge, which DOES work well. Still might as well have steel for general purposes, but a Ti blade done like that actually does work well and holds an edge for a LONG time.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
osprey wrote:The Aussie knife could also be called the Bogan, though I don't know how a knife could drive circles on your lawn in a Holden Commodore while flinging beer cans around so it may be hard to fully embrace it.
Is it National Bash An Aussie Day over there? :)

Osprey, don't laugh but you may be onto something here, but marketing would play a major role. The Bogan sounds cool, catchy name. Let's say the Bogan was a knife that featured a stubbie (small beer bottle) cooler and advertised it as Knife and Stubbie Cooler it may or may not take off.

Now, the exact same Bogan advertised as Stubbie cooler and knife would cause a frenzy. Spyderco couldn't possibly keep up demand on Fathers Day for similar! :cool:
Hey! no bashing from me, I think wombats (and the Rock Lobster) are way cool! Plus I know the pain of paying for and waiting for Australia to US shipping.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I only have experience with the old mid 90's Benchmade CQC7 Ti/Carbide version which I didn't like as much as the ATS 34 version. I understand there are much better knives than the old CQC7 version.

I've also have/had Talonite and a few other non steel type knives including one concoction of stuff including silver as a carbide former and none of them has really impressed me as much as a good tool steel or HSS at rc 60 and higher for high performing edges. I even have a pry tool made up of a titanium/ steel alloy supposedly though while it isn't a cutting device I still enjoy researching what I can about these materials as much as I do using them.

Too much free time I suppose.

Joe
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
Bloke wrote:
I reckon it would be right neighbourly of Spyderco to strike a new knife in honour of our contribution! That'd be nice I reckon.
Great idea, you could call it the "Spyderco Convict". :p :D
ROFL

How about one for the Aussie rugby XV?
Sarge930

Post by Sarge930 »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:
It made no sense for you to make most of the suggestions you make, so thank God it's finally over.

This "stupid corporation" is one of the most successful knife brands out there to which I gladly keep purchasing because they know what they are doing, and they do it fantastically. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Maybe you can go throw another tantrum like on blade forums and get kicked off of here soon.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:
Bloke wrote:
I reckon it would be right neighbourly of Spyderco to strike a new knife in honour of our contribution! That'd be nice I reckon.
Great idea, you could call it the "Spyderco Convict". :p :D
ROFL

How about one for the Aussie rugby XV?
Ah, hahaha! :)

Mate, Spyderco would have to open a cooperative in Australia to make knives commemorating Aussie sporting achievements! Even then, I'm tipping they couldn't make them fast enough! ;)
Last edited by Bloke on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Apologies, iPhone!