Pink for Breast Cancer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mikael Andersson

Pink for Breast Cancer

Post by Mikael Andersson »

My idea is to make a small folding knife with a blade made out of titanium and anodized pink for supporting the research against breast cancer.

Do you like it and would it look snazzy?
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ninja Nic

Re: Pink for Breast Cancer

Post by Ninja Nic »

Sounds like a great cause to support. Any specs on the knife?
A man without a knife, is a man without a life.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I think everyone is aware of breast cancer now. NFL players wear pink in almost every game. How about autism awareness? Not to sound calloused but as a parent of a child on the autism spectrum, I think breast cancer gets more love than lots over other equally worthwhile philanthropies.
Mikael Andersson

Ninja Nic wrote:Sounds like a great cause to support. Any specs on the knife?
I will leave that up to Spyderco.
Mikael Andersson

Ninja Nic

Post by Ninja Nic »

twinboysdad wrote:I think everyone is aware of breast cancer now. NFL players wear pink in almost every game. How about autism awareness? Not to sound calloused but as a parent of a child on the autism spectrum, I think breast cancer gets more love than lots over other equally worthwhile philanthropies.
You make an excellent point twinboysdad. It would be great if they could consider a series of knives. Perhaps one for each cause - breast cancer, autism, M.S and a few others. Maybe a limited edition series of five or six blades
A man without a knife, is a man without a life.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A portion of the profit from the Sage series goes towards Alzheimer's disease.

There is already a pink Native5. I have one and carried it last October for breast cancer awareness month. A portion of the sales of it goes towards the cause.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=952

I would rather have a pink handle with a quality steel over a titanium blade.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I like the idea of color-coded Spyderco Knife designs for specific causes. Great idea, and also on the other medical/health causes, too.
Mikael Andersson

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I like the idea of color-coded Spyderco Knife designs for specific causes. Great idea, and also on the other medical/health causes, too.
Thank you. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I like the idea of color-coded Spyderco Knife designs for specific causes. Great idea, and also on the other medical/health causes, too.
And I dislike the idea of having to choose between supporting a cause I have no interest in or passing on a knife I might otherwise purchase.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mikael Andersson

The Deacon wrote:
And I dislike the idea of having to choose between supporting a cause I have no interest in or passing on a knife I might otherwise purchase.
Titanium blade anodized pink... what is there not to love?

And there could be a blue version for supporting the research against prostate cancer.
Mikael Andersson

twinboysdad wrote:I think everyone is aware of breast cancer now. NFL players wear pink in almost every game. How about autism awareness? Not to sound calloused but as a parent of a child on the autism spectrum, I think breast cancer gets more love than lots over other equally worthwhile philanthropies.
Which color would represent the fight against autism?
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I like the idea of supporting a good cause in such ways and so does Spyderco if you look at the Sage and D'Allara for instance.
But Spyderco won't make a knife just for looks...
I don't see a titanium blade being produced because of this reason.
I'm sure it'll look nice, but titanium isn't a good blade material. It snaps easily and doesn't hold an edge as well as regular bladesteels do. Besides that, it's a nightmare to machine down to an edge seeing how brittle it is.
On a large scale it's a no-no if you don't want to lose money on it.
Perhaps a blade made out of S30V or something with a pink DLC or cerakote would be doable :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Donut

Post by Donut »

As far as I know, titanium doesn't make a good blade steel. It is difficult to harden. Most titanium is in the 50 hrc?

What was it, SM-100 that is titanium that is trying to be in the blade steel class? I saw a video of that stuff and if you twist the blade, it snaps. I would rather have a pink handle and have a real steel as the blade.

I have a pink squeak and I carry it as much as possible in October. I might have to pick up a pink Native 5 before October.

twinboysdad, wasn't there a movie or tv show about the breast cancer awareness being a big seller? How companies were putting up a sign that they donate some of their profits to breast cancer... and they may or may not donate at all and the percentages vary wildly, but it always draws a lot of business.

Sage: "Spyderco will donate approximately 5% of sales of the Sage to the National Alzheimer's Association Denver, Colorado Chapter."
Chokwe: "Spyderco will donate approximately 5% of sales of the Chokwe to the Keep a Child Alive Organization."
Mantra: "A portion of sales of the Mantra will be donated to The National Parkinson Foundation."
Warrior: "Spyderco donates three percent of net sales for each Warrior sold to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation."
9/11 D'Allara: "All sales of these knives will be made at the price of $400 per knife and the majority of the proceeds will be donated to 9/11 Memorial charities."
Pink Handles: "Spyderco is very proud to support Guardians of the Ribbon/Pink Heals Tour and the "Cares Enough to Wear Pink" programs by donating a portion of the sales of our pink-handled knives to this amazing organization."
Blue LE Delica: "Spyderco will donate a portion of the sales of every commemorative Delica to the NLEOMF to support the museum project."

Dutch beat me to my first comments.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mikael,

Interesting idea, but many years late. We've been making pink knives for years with a percentage of sales going to Cancer research (Native, Squeak, etc.) Even when we do pink exclusives, a percentage of the sales goes to Cancer research. We've been making Sage's for years with a percentage of sales going to Alzheimer's research, We have knives for fallen military, Parkinson's research, and others. Perhaps you should read our catalog?

sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
I have said before the Meerkat is the perfect autism awareness model because the uniqueness of the lock represents how hard unlocking the cure to autism is. As far as color? Not sure. Autism awareness is more known by the puzzle piece shape than a color. Again, I hope my previous statement on breast cancer did not seem callous but don't all women know to get regular mammograms now? I think people who aren't affected by autism have no clue how much it affects your life, and your child as long as they live. No cure...yet.
Mikael Andersson

sal wrote:Hi Mikael,

Interesting idea, but many years late. We've been making pink knives for years with a percentage of sales going to Cancer research (Native, Squeak, etc.) Even when we do pink exclusives, a percentage of the sales goes to Cancer research. We've been making Sage's for years with a percentage of sales going to Alzheimer's research, We have knives for fallen military, Parkinson's research, and others. Perhaps you should read our catalog?

sal
I'm talking about titanium blades anodized pink and not about pink handles.

Who have done that before?

I'm pretty sure it's no one... yet.
Mikael Andersson

twinboysdad wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
I have said before the Meerkat is the perfect autism awareness model because the uniqueness of the lock represents how hard unlocking the cure to autism is. As far as color? Not sure. Autism awareness is more known by the puzzle piece shape than a color. Again, I hope my previous statement on breast cancer did not seem callous but don't all women know to get regular mammograms now? I think people who aren't affected by autism have no clue how much it affects your life, and your child as long as they live. No cure...yet.
Hmm, how about gold?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Titanium blade anodized pink... what is there not to love?

And there could be a blue version for supporting the research against prostate cancer.
Nothing "not to love", aside from it being pink and titanium and connected to a "cause". There are colors I like, pink is not among them and the only knives I think look good with a colored blade are double edged daggers. I have no plans to start disarming magnetic mines, so a titanium blade holds no appeal. And, as I explained earlier, I have causes which I support have no desire to add to that list.

I'd suggest you save this idea for White Wolf Knives. :p
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
sal wrote:Hi Mikael,

sal
I'm talking about titanium blades anodized pink and not about pink handles.

Who have done that before?

I'm pretty sure it's no one... yet.
It is probably a good idea, but I don't think it would be much more than a novelty.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!